Six

Chapter 6

The Start

"This isn't going to end well."

•••

Peyton

We never really plan things, in a way we don't. We could plan all we want whether it's what we're doing today, or if it's what we're doing next month. If it's a wedding or our future whatever that might be. We can plan all we want but it never goes our way when you think about it.

I planned to move to San Francisco, I did that. I wanted to cut ties with my family, I somewhat did that. I moved here to get a fresh start and be independent. To do things I want to do without having to have my mother's judgmental opinion breathing down my neck.

It might seem like my life is going exactly how I planned. But let's me real, when has anything gone exactly as planned and not had a hiccup?

•••

I had been working at my job for a week now. It involved getting coffee, taking notes in meetings, and organize Nate's files. Overall I've been doing the basic assistant duties, as well as taking calls and organizing meetings. It's been pretty easy going.

He stays in his office unless he is on his way to a meeting or is needed else where. But the only contact we've had is when I'm informing him on certain things. Other than that there hasn't been unnecessary chit chat.

I'm actually thankful for that because I had very inappropriate thoughts at the second interview. I am pretty sure it was due to Madison's comments before I left the house that day. So I'm happy for the minimal contact we've had and just hope it continues to stay that way.

I put on my heels in the elevator for the walk from Madison's house to the building isn't good for my feet. So I decided to fix the situation by walking in comfy shoes then changing into my heels when I get here. Honestly wish I could just wear some flats.

The elevator got to the 21st floor and fixed my skirt before the doors opened. I walked down the aisle passing by the desks located on this level. Only the top managers were on this floor, I didn't see why it was necessary but I also had no say. It just seemed intimidating to have the big people all on one floor, wouldn't it be helpful if each were on the floor with their staff?

I got to my desk that sat directly across the big glass doors. I could see him as he sat at his desk writing vigorously into the paper. I'm sure if you lifted it off the notepad you could see the indentation of what he just wrote. I allowed my eyes to wander to his hands and the way he gripped his pen which allowed him to write the way he was.

I followed up his arms and how they were concealed by his very expensive dark blue suit. Then I got to his face, I hated that face and I only hated it because he was the cliche. The hot CEO, the very cliche hot CEO. It bugged me that he has the whole package. From the face, the suit, his hair, just the way he stood, the way he wrote, and just his very presence.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I met those icy blue eyes. He had a smug smirk on his face cause he just caught me looking at him. I just swallowed the knot in my throat and shook my head. I set my other set of shoes down and began on working on what I needed to do for the day.

The whole time I worked I repeated on my head hoping that he would not bring up me looking at him. Though as I repeated those words and worked I kept feeling his eyes on me. I tried my hardest to not look up from my work and meet his eyes.

As time went on I lost focus on him and was actually focused on my work. I wrote out his schedule for the whole month. I filed all of his finances and clients and forward all of his calls without talking to him.

It was the end of the day and I was making sure I had everything done for the day. Once I double checked I grabbed my shoes and my bag before locking up my drawers. It was part of my safety routine I was told to do, there were important files I had and I couldn't afford to let them into the wrong hands.

I got up off my chair and turned the corner to start walking down the aisle. I heard what sounded like a door open and then I heard foot steps catching up to mine. I prayed it was someone who happened to stay late and not actually my boss.

Though when has luck ever actually liked me? I swear I'm its worst enemy. For when the person caught up to me it turned out to be my boss. He cleared his throat as we got to the elevator. I turned and looked at him allowing him to know he had my attention.

"Thank you for today Ellis, you did an excellent job all week." He told me.

I nodded, "You're welcome, glad to know I'm doing my job correctly."

"You are and since it's Friday and you managed to go through a whole week id like to take you out for a drink." He said confidently.

I looked at him and raised my eyebrow, "I...Uh...With all due respect don't you think it would be a little wrong if we were to go out for a drink?"

"Yes and no, but it's a harmless drink." He assured me.

I sighed as the elevator doors opened, "I'm not sure."

"Peyton if anything were to happen tonight and not saying they will. I promise it won't affect your job and our professional relationship here." He promised as we rode down the elevator.

It was a little awkward in the elevator as we went down 21 levels. I was in thought, this was wrong I mean I worked for him. Nothing good comes out with sleeping with your boss. And all he's asking for is a drink but I know how dangerous a 'drink' could get.

Did I want to go there or did I want to shoot him down. I mean there's a lot of cons with this situation. Any one smart would walk away and turn it down. But who knows maybe this could be something. It's a reach but what did I have to lose?

"This isn't going to end well, but yes a drink is fine." I told him as the doors opened and we walked out.

"Great." He said with a smile as we walked out of the building side by side.

•••

What did I have to lose? That could have been the dumbest question I've ever asked myself. Because I did have a lot to lose. A lot.

Authors Note//
Hehe it's going to get better I promise
Let me know what you think
Until Next Time Peace Lovelies✌🏼💚