Dean's Fear

This is based on Season 5 Episode 21. There isn't any major spoilers if you haven't gotten that far in the series, though.

Suggested by: DaniellaImpala

"Dean, he can do this. He saved at least 10 people today, never stopping, never slowing down. We're hard on him, Dean. We've always been. But in the meantime, he's been running into burning buildings since he was what, 12?"

"Pretty much."

"Look, Sam's got a darkness in him, I'm not saying he don't. But he's got a hell of a lot of good in him, too."

"I know."

"Then you know Sam will beat the devil, or die trying. That's the best we could ask for. So I gotta ask, Dean, what exactly are you afraid of? Losing? Or losing your brother?"

Dean paused, thinking about what Bobby asked him. When he thought about losing Sam, a sadness overcame him. If he lost Sam, it would ruin him. He wanted Sam to be next to him for the rest of his life. He... loved Sam.

"Bobby, I—I can't lose Sam."

"If that's what happens, Dean, you can't—"

"I love him," Dean blurted, interrupting Bobby.

Bobby looked taken aback, "He's your brother, of course you love him."

"That's not what I mean," Dean explained. He ran inside Bobby's house to find Sam.

"Woah, Dean, what's going on? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, Sammy. I just need to tell you something."

"What?"

"You can't do this."

Sam suddenly looked pissed, "Dean, we've been through this—"

"Sam, shut up," Dean interrupted, successfully making Sam stop talking. "You can't do this, because I can't lose you."

"You're not going to lose me, Dean." Sam's face softened.

"But there's a chance..."

"Of course there is, Dean. There's always a chance of us dying."

"I know that, Sammy, but this time it's only you. If you die, I won't be able to take it. You've seen what happens to me. You're always the one who brings me back and takes care of me when I fall." He told a deep breath, "What I'm trying to say is... I love you, Sammy."

"I love you, too, but I have to do this, you know that."

"You don't understand what I mean. I don't just love you because you're my brother, I'm in love with you."

"You're in love with me?" Sam was obviously surprised.

Dean realized the problem his feelings posed. What if Sam was disgusted and walked out on him? No, Sam would never do that... "Yes, I am," Dean said with confidence. Suddenly, Sam's lips came down to meet Dean's. Dean was surprised, but regained his composure and kissed back. Sam was the one who break the kiss first.

"I love you, too" Sam said back, making Dean laugh.

"Sammy, will you promise to be careful, and to come back to me after this is all done? I'll help you with anything you'll need afterwards, just so I have you."

"I promise, Dean." He wrapped his arms around Dean and hugged him tightly.