Heartbreak

Dean stood in the middle of the field, looking down at Sam's fresh unmarked grave. He couldn't believe he actually let his baby brother be killed. Sam is the one person in the world that he promised to protect with his own life. Just as tears began to streak down Dean's cheeks, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to see Castiel behind him.

"I know you miss him," the angel said.

"I don't just miss him, Cass. I loved him. He was my whole life," Dean began to get angry, with both himself and the world.

"He knew that, Dean. He loved you too."

Dean shook his head, not even trying to stop the tears now, "No, he didn't. I never got to tell him. I was working up the confidence when I let him get killed."

Cass wrapped his arms around Dean, holding the broken man. "I know, Dean, I know."

Dean gripped the angel's coat as he cried. He couldn't hold it back anymore. He needed a release.

Later that night, Dean went back to the motel room. He knew it was a bad idea, but he didn't have a choice. Seeing Sam's stuff still laying around everywhere felt like someone was stabbing him in the chest. Eventually, he curled up into a ball underneath the covers of his bed and fell asleep after feeling like he laid there for hours.

Cass knew he had to do something. Dean was obviously completely heartbroken, and he wouldn't last much longer in his current state without doing something stupid. Castiel loved Dean, and he thought possibly losing his brother would make Dean look to Cass for comfort, but he was wrong. Seeing Dean like this hurt Cass as well. All he wanted was to see Dean happy again.

Just like he did for Dean, Cass brought Sam back from Hell. He waited by the grave until Sam dug himself out. As soon as he saw Cass, Sam asked, "What the hell happened?"

"You were killed. Dean tried to Sam you, but he was unable to."

"Did you bring me back?"

Castiel nodded, "He's completely heartbroken, Sam. He can't live without you."

Sam smiled slightly, "Do I really mean that much to him?"

"You're his entire world."

Sam and Castiel traveled back to the motel room. Castiel walked in after Sam and woke Dean up.

"Sam?" Dean exclaimed.

"I'm back, Dean," Sam said, tears forming in his eyes.

"Cass, did you—?"

"I did, just like I did for you."

"Thanks, Cass. You're a true friend." was all Dean said before pulling Sam into a hug. Cass quietly left the motel room. He glanced at Dean through the motel window before going back to Heaven. Maybe one day he'll have a chance to show his love to Dean, but that day is obviously not today.

****

"Sammy, when you died, I realized that there's things I haven't told you that I feel you should know."

"Like what?"

"Well..." Dean bit his lip and looked at the floor, "First of all, I've figured out that I'm bisexual."

Sam seemed surprised.

"Wait, there's more," Dean quickly said as Sam opened his mouth to reply, "I also really, really like someone."

Sam interrupted, "Is it Cass?"

Dean shuffled a little, slightly uncomfortable, "No, Cass is just a friend." He took a breath, "It's you, Sam."

"Me?"

"Yes, when I saw you die, I felt that someone shoved their hand into my chest and ripped my heart out. You have no idea how much pain it caused."

Sam was silent.

"By your reaction, I'm going to guess that telling you was a really bad idea, and if you want to leave and never see me again, I respect that."

Sam stepped closer and held Dean's hands, "Now, what would ever give you an idea like that?"

Dean smiled, "Really?"

"I never wanted to tell you, but yes, you've been my only steady relationship for most of my life. Of course I love you."

Dean ripped his hands out of Sam's and wrapped his arms around his little brother's neck. He pulled Sam in for a tight hug. He was overjoyed that this feelings were out in the open, and he was still accepted by Sam. For the first time in the lives of the Winchesters, everything was copacetic.