Chapter 1 - Lazarus

The silvery moonlight filtered through the dark leaves. A lone figure hidden in the branches was so still that the nightlife continued on around the man undisturbed, taking no notice of him.

Crickets chirped in unison and fallen leaves rustled softy as some small animal scuttled through the dark forest floor. An owl flew past, swooping down triumphantly on its prey. A frightened high pitched squeak was suddenly cut off, its owner now dangling lifeless in the claws of it's predator. Silence, then the crickets started up again.

Lazarus, Assassin Level 75, sat quietly in the dark, balanced perfectly in between the tree branches, waiting patiently. He was dressed entirely in black and merged effortlessly with the night. His informant had confirmed that the secret meeting was going to take place tonight. His tree was perfectly located at the edge of a small clearing where it was supposed to be held. It was early yet, the meeting was set for midnight.

Suddenly he felt the familiar constrictions in his chest. The discomfort built up gradually until he couldn't breathe. He tensed, gripping the branches for support. When the pain hit him, he was ready.

"Aarrghh!"

Lazarus doubled over coughing violently, muffling the sound as best he could. He coughed up blood gasping for breath. A few moments later, he wiped his mouth impatiently with the back of his hand.

Health, 87 per cent

Damn orc poison. The nauk-dzi vras from the disposed Lord Commander Varbuk's Illaru blade was strong. He was losing Health points just by coughing. It was getting ridicules!!

The poison was affecting his Health and Recovery speed too. It was getting worse and the Priestess Isis had no idea what to do. She had kept the foreign orc blade for experiments and research but to no avail. Isis had tried everything on him, potions, herbs, spells and rune magic. He had been desperate enough to even let her work that one dark enchantment on him. It had backfired badly and had scared her enough for her to give up on that idea. She would try again after she levelled up some more.

The Assassin leaned back against the rough bark, controlled his breathing and closed his eyes. He had to find an antidote soon or he would be useless, no matter what level he was. What was the point of being a high level avatar when he would be too sick and weak (low Health) to fight? Even a low level noob player would be able to beat him then. That would be embarrassing indeed.

He had to do something with his declining Health maintenance and Recovery speed. He had to find the antidote soon and get rid of the orc poison from his body or he would not last long. He could keep up pretences for only so long before word got out on his declining condition. It was not that bad yet but it was getting there.

More players were signing up every day and existing players were levelling up. More and more were looking for the portal orbs to get across to the Orc Realm. There were Quests there too. If he could not defend his orb ... if he could not do his part in the Game ... would Simtrixx replace him?

Lazarus did not fool himself to think he was indispensible, even if he had been a past winner. The moment he could no longer be useful to them or generate excitement in the Game, he would be replaced. Season Two was coming up in a few months. There would be new winners, fresh faces and more than enough replacements. It was just business to Simtrixx.

He should know, he came from a business family.

The Assassin's gloomy thoughts were interrupted by the sound of cantering horses. The first party had arrived for the meeting. He turned his attention back to the task at hand.

A mixed group of seven with assorted Skills led by a powerful looking Paladin entered the clearing and halted. A quick check confirmed they all ranged above Level 50. Lazarus smiled grimly to himself. All were eligible to try for the Orbs.

Their low voices and whispers died when a disturbance in the air was detected. Five figures appeared out of thin air. The second group made up of Warlocks, Priests and a lone Assassin had ported in. They too were eligible for the Orb Trials.

"Welcome," the broad shouldered Paladin greeted the newcomers.

The Warlock on the ground nodded his head as the other four members of his group made gestures of acknowledgement. The Paladin who spoke signalled and his group dismounted.

The two leaders were the same level and had a love-hate relationship since they started playing. Both had stolen each other's kills and sabotaged the other before. Now they were working together for information on the Portal Orbs. Lord Tristram, Paladin Level 58 eyed his long time nemesis / friend Lord Azazel, Warlock Level 58.

"Our joint efforts and exchange of information have not been in vain. We have discovered the location of two Orbs."

"Whose?"

"Gate Keepers Valentine and Lazarus. Which do you want?"

"I don't like Assassins, we will take the Thief's," the Paladin said.

The Warlock smiled. "Your righteous airs against Assassins are unfounded," he said glancing at the dangerous looking assassin in his group. Her hand moved under her cloak. Azazel smiled. He was sure she had just reached for a sharp dagger. "This is just a Game. Technically, Thieves also go against the law."

"Thieves only steal, Assassins kill."

The Warlock's smiled widened, "That's just theory. I've never known Lazarus to kill without reason ... and by the way Valentine kills too. He got a fair number of orcs in Season One."

"What are you? A fan? We will deal with Valentine and take his Orb. We will have it in our possession in a few hours. If you manage to get Lazarus's Orb, contact us," he sneered.

"You are out of character Paladin. Don't underestimate Thieves ... and don't underestimate Valentine, he is a seasoned player. His quest may kill you all ..."

"What do you take us for?" the Paladin drew in a breath getting angry and reached for his sword. His group all went into defence mode drawing their various weapons.

"Calm down, My Lord Tristram. We still have a ways to go. Whether we succeed or fail, we will gain information on their quests. At this point, information on the Gate Keeper's Orb Trials is crucial to getting access through the Portal. We will meet again and discuss their quests, deal?"

The agitated Paladin gritted his teeth finally let go of his sword. "Deal."

"There are still the other three Orbs. We will keep looking."

Lord Tristram gave a stiff nod indicating his group will do the same. Working together had its benefits, they didn't have to like it. It was the results that mattered.

Lord Azazel, Warlock Level 58 watched as Lord Tristram, Paladin Level 58 rode off with his group.

"They are as good as dead. I heard Valentine's Orb Trial is impossible," one of his followers said.

The Assassin's Orb location was given and the group ported from view.

Lazarus sat quietly in the shadows digesting what he had just seen. Well, at least this group had the correct location. He wondered how they got it. Never mind, better warn Valentine.

He pulled down the Menu and tapped a message to Valentine.

Message sent to Lord Valentine : Incoming group of seven on horseback to your Orb's location. Paladins and Priests. ETA in a few minutes. Get your butt in here if you want some fun. It's going to be an entertaining night.

Valentine : What? Now?

Lazarus : Yeah now. Login before they stroll in and take your Orb without a fight.

Valentine : You know they can't do that. Thanks for the heads-up ... although you could have told me earlier. I was just about to eat.

Lazarus grinned and disappeared from view as he ported off. Now, to see to his own Orb Trial.