Chapter 19

You all arrived at the building. You waited for Connor and then you both hurried after Hank. As you walked in you got in the elevator and began to ride it to the correct floor. You noticed Connor had his eyes closed and his LED was yellow. You wondered what he was doing. Once you got to the correct level you followed Hank out of the elevator. Connor still had his eyes closed. Hank noticed now too.

"Hey Connor!" Hank called. He opened his eyes and his LED went back to blue. "You run out of batteries or what?"

"I'm sorry, I was making a report to Cyberlife." He replied.

"Well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?" Hank asked.

"No! I'm coming." Connor replied. You chuckled and he walked out, now walking next to you as Hank led the way.

"What do we know about this guy?" Hank asked.

"Not much. Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor. Nobody is supposed to be living here, but the neighbor said he saw a man hiding an LED under his cap." Connor replied. 

"Oh Christ, if we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops." Hank said, leaning against the door frame. "Hey were you really making a report in the elevator back there? Just by closing your eyes?" Hank asked.

"Correct."

"Shit...wish I could do that." You chuckled.

"Makes things easier, right?" You joked. Hank chuckled along. 

"Sure as hell does." He agreed. You stood beside him as Connor came over after you. Connor knocked on the door. Nothing. Hank shrugged. He did it again, louder this time.

"Anybody home?" Connor called. "Open up! Detroit Police!" Connor shouted. There was a crash sound. Hank and Connor looked at each other, alarmed. Hank looked between the both of you.

"Stay behind me." He said.

"Got it." Connor replied. You stood next to him as Hank pulled out his gun. You had been given permission to have one as well, so you had your own in hand as well. He kicked in the door. Nobody was there. Connor followed Hank in and you followed after him. Hank busted down another door. Pigeons flew out and Hank ducked to avoid them.

"What the fuck is this!?" Hank shouted.

"A lot of birds?" You said, confused yourself.

"Jesus, this place stinks." Hank said. You looked around. No..we're missing something. You thought. You all looked around. "Well, looks like we came for nothin'." 

"Not nothing. Something had to have caused that crash. Unless the birds worked together to knock something over, then I think there more to this." You said. You all kept looking around Connor found something in a jacket.

"R.T. Probably initials." He said.

"He put his initials in his jacket? That's something your mom does when you're in first grade." Hank retorted. Connor looked at the license.

"The drivers license is fake." Connor said.

"Cool! At least we didn't come for nothing." Hank said semi sarcastically. Connor went into the bathroom. You followed him. On the wall RA9 was written over and over again. "Any idea what it means?" Hank asked.

"RA9...written 2471 times. It's the same sign Ortiz's android wrote on the shower wall. Why are they obsessed with this sign?" Connor questioned.

"Looks like mazes or something..." Hank said.

"Maybe it's a code, or a place." You said.

"Maybe." Hank agreed. You both walked back out, leaving Connor there. "Agh! Jesus I hate these things!" Hank yelled as more birds flew around. You laughed a little.

"Afraid of birds Hank?" You teased.

"Ah shut up!" He retorted.

"It's LED is in the sink." Connor said.

"Not surprised it was an android. No human could live with all these fuckin' pigeons." Hank said. You laughed again. Hank found some birdseed.

"Birdseed? I can't believe it. This nutjob was actually feeding these fuckers." Hank said.

"And caring for birds is a bad thing why?" You asked.

"I'm not saying it's bad I'm saying that this," Hank began, gesturing broadly to all of the birds scattered all over the apartment. "is crazy!" You laughed, but you didn't notice that Connor had found something else. He walked over to a chair next to a hole in the ceiling. Suddenly, somebody dropped down and crashed into him, knocking him over. Pigeons flew up blocking Hank's view.

"Ah! Stupid fucking pigeons!" He yelled. The deviant ran out. "What are you waiting for? Chase it!" Hank yelled. Connor took off. You followed after him. You both hurried to catch up to it. Connor was faster than you, but you had an idea. Based on where it was headed, you had an idea of where it was going. You quickly went the other way and hurried to get there on time.

"Hank! This way! We can cut it off!" You called. He hurried after you. You both ran at full speed to get there on time. You both got there, but Hank jumped in to fight it instead. He was shoved off the side.

"HANK!!" You tried to help him, but your grip was slipping. Connor got there and he helped you. You were both able to pull Hank up.

"Oh SHIT! We had it! Fuck!" Hank cursed.

"It's my fault. I should've been faster." Connor said.

"You'd have caught it if it weren't for me." Hank panted. "That's alright. We know what it looks like. We'll find it." You nodded.

"You're okay though, right Hank?" You asked.

"Yeah. I'm okay. Thanks (Y/n)." He said. You smiled and nodded. You began to walk out with Hank following behind.

"Hey Connor..." He began. You watched, wondering what Hank was going to say. Hank waved it off. "Nothing." You frowned, wishing Hank would've thanked him. You followed after Hank and soon Connor followed too. You waited for Hank to be out of view before turning around and hugging Connor.

"(Y/n)? What are you-?"

"Connor, you could've gotten yourself killed. Jumping off of roofs and trains, and through windows? You scared me!" You said.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you." You hugged him tightly.

"Please, be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you." You said. He slowly hugged back.

"You shouldn't worry about me, (Y/n). I am merely a machine. Besides, I would come back if one Connor was destroyed. I can upload my memory to Cyberlife and if I was destroyed they would upload it to another Connor model and it would be like nothing happened." He replied.

"But I would know. I don't want to watch that happen to you, Connor. Please...promise me you'll be careful." You said. He smiled down at you.

"If that is what you wish, then...I promise." He said. You smiled. With that, you both kept walking to catch up to Hank.