Chapter 139

You all sat down at the dining table since that's where the most seats where. You sat across from Carl, focusing on the man before you. He knew my parents...he had to have known something I didn't at that time.

Carl looked at you with his hands folded and rested on the table. You could tell that he knew a lot and was very wise, but what he was going to say was beyond you. It only made you want to listen to him even closer, once he began that is.

"Years ago I met your parents at one of the art conventions I had attended. That was before Elijah had gifted Markus to me. Your parents worked as model and program designers at Cyberlife. They knew there way around machinery rather well. They were interested in the style of my artwork, asking me how I thought of such things. I told them that ideas are things that just come to you, whether you want them to or not. We spent the evening talking with each other and your father asked if it would be possible to make an android who could paint outside of reality. I said that with their minds at work, anything is possible. So, after a few years, Kamski gifted Markus to me. I also got a letter at that time that said Markus was designed to fit a man like me by two other friends of mine. I knew he meant your parents. It's why I asked if you could create something, Markus. I wanted to see if they had indeed made an android who could think of new things and ideas. And they had, but there was a reason that they made you the way they did. They knew that if they had given you any more of your free will outright, it would put both of us at risk. They would only put themselves at risk. And that's exactly what they did when they created their own android. They left you out of the loop as well, (Y/n) because they wanted to protect you. Your parents wanted me to be your godfather, but I'm old and I denied it. When they died...I felt like I owed them something. You see, your parents left many things to me, (Y/n). And it's at this point I'm honored to say you're one of them. They trusted you with me, I just wish I didn't have to tell you like this." Carl said. You were stunned. You didn't even know what to say at this new information. 

"While that's a lot, it doesn't explain why they were targeted." Oreon said.

"Well, that's where Jamison comes in. Jamison is the one who told (Y/n)'s parents about me." Carl explained. "Jamison had gone into Cyberlife and they often worked alongside each other. The three of them were good friends and with Jamison and I being as close as we were, he told your mother about me and my work. Your mother was always fascinated with the out of the ordinary. It's why she wanted to meet me and why Jamison told her about me. Your father just tagged along for the ride."

"Okay, but why did Jamison drop off the map after (Y/n)'s parents were killed?" Oreon asked.

"Jamison said that something had happened, but he never told me what. I knew he was trying to protect me from something. I'm one of his best friends after all. I couldn't bug him about it. It would only make matters worse. I could, however, make sure I knew how he was doing. He agreed to stay in touch and now he lives in an old retirement home right here in the city. I'm sure that all of you are heading there next." Carl said.

"Thank you, Carl." Connor said. 

"Of course, but instead of rushing off, how about you all stay awhile? I would like to get to know my goddaughter." He said with a smile. You smiled too. 

"I had no idea how connected I was to everybody." You said. Carl smiled.

"Lives can be simple or complicated. It's our choice what to do with the hands were dealt." You smiled. "Now, how about we all relax and have a little fun, huh? Markus, it's been a while since we did some speed chess." You looked at Markus in surprise. He smiled a little and shrugged. 

You all went over to the chess set and then Carl seemed to get an idea. You could tell by the thoughtful expression on his face. You noticed that he was looking at Connor and you began to get the same idea.

"Actually, how about you and Connor do a match, Markus. It'll give you better competition than an old man." Carl said. Connor and Markus looked at each other.

"Okay." Markus said. They both sat down and you all watched, interested. You smiled as you stood a little further back with Oreon.

"It's like two Dad's sending in their sons to compete for them." You whispered causing Oreon to snort while trying to hold back his laughter. They played and almost every time it ended in a draw. It was really interesting honestly. You all spent hours at Carl's house together, playing games and chatting with each other. Markus was very good at piano as it turned out. You enjoyed your time there and it helped you relax and for a little bit, it helped you forget about all of the stress and worries and negative things. For a little while, it was just a group of good people hanging out together and enjoying the time they had. For a little while, it was peaceful. It was perfect.