Chapter 158

Connor's POV

There was no time left to try and plan things. We had to help them. We hurried toward the building and I pulled my gun out as did everyone else who had a weapon, no matter what the weapon was. 

We hurried in through the door and looked around. There was nothing there. I saw Vinnie and the others hurrying over to us. Spring was damaged and being carried by Red. 

"What happened?" Oreon asked.

"Guys...it's worse than we thought! They're making a run for it to an open part of the grotto! We've gotta catch up or it's over. Hurry!" Vinnie said. We nodded and hurried after them. Jaden and Daren offered to stay behind and hide with Spring to try and help her. We didn't like leaving them behind on their own, but we had no choice. 

We ran out of the building through the back doors and the wolves led the way, following the scent trail as best they could and leading us to where they were going. As we ran, I prayed we could get to them in time to stop them. I was so afraid. It was worse than we thought? What could they have done or what could they have been doing to her? It all scared the life out of me if that were even physically possible. 

We soon made it to an opening in the grotto. It was like a darkened meadow. The atmosphere was unsettling as we came to a stop.

"Everybody watch your backs!" Oreon ordered. We all remained alert. I saw Bandit turn his head quickly and I looked the same way. I raised my gun and fired. A man fell, his blood staining the snow.

"GUN DOWN! YOU'RE SURROUNDED, IDIOTS!" A voice shouted. More men came out with their guns raised. It looked like the had a few more people than us, but not many. Still, it was enough to outnumber us. I saw a man come out. He was clearly the leader. I glared at him. He's the one who did this. I pieced together. 

"No! Give us our friend back!" Roxy shouted.

"No." He replied simply. 

"What have you done with her!?" Jacob shouted.

"I made her better." He said with a shrug.

"Where is she?" Oreon growled. He grinned. Two androids came out beside him and a third followed behind. I assumed the first two to be Madusa and Mace, but the third android...it was (Y/n).

Your POV

*45 minutes earlier*

You were forced to walk along in silence through the snow. You were scared, but you knew you couldn't risk running. They'd kill you if you did. It was hard to walk, but they kept shoving you, making you force yourself to keep going. You kept thinking of Connor, praying he was coming to help you. 

You wondered if he found the note or the girls. You wondered if he had even made it home. What if they had done something to him? What if they had found the girls? It sent pure terror racing through your body. You were brought out of it by another harsh shove.

"Get moving, hybrid!" One of the men spat. You glared at him, a glare that made him pause and think twice about speaking to you. He looked away and you all kept going in silence.

"What the hell do you want from me? Why are you doing this?" You asked.

"Good pay." One of the men chuckled darkly.

"Come on, man." The other said. He sighed.

"Look, we were some of his workers from way back when. We stayed with him because at the time we thought he was right. Now days, if anyone tries to leave, they're never heard from again. You really think we're gonna try doing anything else?" He asked.

"Cowards." You said.

"That isn't gonna help your case, I hope you know."

"Why do you follow him if you think it's wrong? I bet you two aren't the only ones. You let fear control you so easily? I get fear can be powerful, but you're the ones letting it get that way. You could fight back, but you chose to shut your mouths and obey, no matter what pain it causes to yourself and others around you. That's cowardly." You said. Both of them remained silent. 

"Is that what it was like with Raymond?" One asked. You looked at him.

"You know about that?" You asked.

"Everybody does. Melvyn is good at his research. He'd almost have to be, wouldn't he?" The other said. You nodded.

"True. And yes. It was. I could never do it right for him, so he abused me. How would you feel? Being controlled like a puppet and then being treated like you're a defective piece of junk?" You asked. They both looked semi-guilty. "That's what I thought." You said. 

"Your name is (Y/n), right?" 

"Yeah." You replied.

"Don't you have a boyfriend or something? Wasn't it that prototype detective?" He asked. You nodded.

"Yes. And if you guys haven't attacked him, I hope he's looking for me." You said.

"We haven't gotten orders to go look for him. Melvyn expects him to come for you."

"So you're setting a trap for them? Is that why I'm here?" You asked. They both looked away from you awkwardly.

"N-not really." One said.

"What do you mean?" 

"We're taking you to the factory for Melvyn to fix you. His definition of fix might be a bit different than yours." You swallowed hard.

"W-what's he gonna do to me?" You asked. Neither of them said anything.

"We shouldn't even be talking to you. Get moving or he's gonna get mad at us for being late." You all kept going in silence.

"If you are good people, then please, don't let them hurt Connor. Please." You said. Neither of them said anything, but you could tell they were thinking about your words. You looked up at the sky, seeing the stars above you. Connor, everyone, be safe. Please.