Chapter 79

The debate had only just started. Markus and the others were insistent on keeping you out of Cyberlife's grasp, but most of New Jericho disagreed. Connor was excused from most meetings because of it. He was always next to you, and when he wasn't you're other friends were, protecting you from everything. Well, almost everything. 

New Jericho was a friendly place, everyone worked together, but they had made you and the others outcasts. They all obeyed Markus' command not to hurt you, but that didn't stop the glares and the harsh rumors. Some people even started a rumor that you were working with Collin but playing innocent until you could get a message out to him. It tore at you and you often ran to your room crying. Connor always had to comfort you straight after convincing you to let him in. It had only been two days and this had happened 17 times. 

You were heading to see your animals, but you bumped into one hater named Vinnie. He grabbed your arm. 

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To see my friends." You said back, ripping your arm free.

"What friends? You aren't welcome here." You paused.

"I thought all androids were welcome here. So why are you here, monster?" You growled. You felt something hit you hard over the head. 

"You're the monster. You're just playing the victim." He hissed, his fist bawled tightly.

"I don't work with them!" You yelled. He rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. Enjoy your friends." He growled and kept walking. You eventually got there and you hung out with them for a while. You loved it there. Nobody bothered you because not a lot of people came by at this time of day. Most of them had already retrieved their pets and the rest didn't have owners. 

"Hey, (Y/n)." You turned and spotted Hank.

"Hey, Hank." You greeted.

"Mind if I join you? I just have some lunch with me." He said.

"Sure, go ahead." You replied. He came in and sat down next to you.

"You doing alright?" He asked, taking a bite out of his sandwich. 

"I guess." You replied.

"Anybody mess with ya?" He asked.

"Just Vinnie so far for today." You replied. He sighed.

"You aren't listening to him, right?" Hank asked.

"No, Hank." You replied. He nodded.

"Good." He said, taking another bite. You smiled at the older man next to you. Hank, while he could be grumpy and a bit of an ass at times, was actually a very good and supportive friend. You were glad you had somebody like him there with you.

You frowned again as you thought of your circumstances. Soldiers that worked for Cyberlife were now in the city and the outside world knew nothing of what was going on. There were no humans in Detroit after all. Nobody had returned yet and only Hank, Daren, and Kamski had stayed. 

You were also worried about Oreon. Where did he go? Why had he just disappeared? Was he safe? Was he even still alive? You just couldn't be sure. You knew New Jericho was the safest place for you, but Collin had come so close to finding you all. If he did, even if he died you would all be exposed and you'd have to leave. Hank brought you back to reality.

"(Y/n)!" Your head shot up and you looked over at him. "You okay? You zoned out for the 3 minutes." Hank asked.

"Sorry, Hank." You muttered. He frowned.

"(Y/n), what's wrong?" He asked.

"What if they're right about turning me in? Would it be better?" You asked.

"No, it wouldn't. Cyberlife wants you for a reason and they could use you for something even worse. None of us want to see that happen to you, (Y/n). You're a good android, no matter what anybody else says or thinks. You gotta remember that." Hank told you. You smiled slightly.

"Yeah, I know. I'm just...unsure." You said. He nodded.

"Well, don't be. You're staying here. Nobody is gonna force you out while Markus is in control." Hank said. You nodded after a moment.

"Yeah. Right." You agreed. He left and you soon got up and left as well. You went to your room and you collapsed backward onto the bed. You just wanted to think. you just wanted to relax. You just wanted some peace even if just for a few minutes. You closed your eyes and you let yourself sink into sleep.

Oreon's POV

Soldiers were roaming the streets now. I had no idea what was going on, but there was a rule me and Ralph followed now. Never go outside. We both stayed put and occupied ourselves with chatting and simple games. Anything quiet. We no longer made fires. It was too risky. Ralph had become more paranoid, barely ever getting any rest. His stress was beginning to rise, but I was able to keep it down.

Today, we were just chatting, trying to ignore the danger outside. No soldiers were around so we could talk, but we couldn't be loud or else we could attract attention. We were talking when Ralph suddenly asked a question.

"What do you think they want?" Ralph asked. I sighed.

"I don't know." I replied.

"They are Cyberlife's only. Ralph can tell. Military wore different colors. Less white." Ralph said. I knew he was right.

"They're probably hunting for us while no other humans are here to stop them." I hope (Y/n) and Connor found a safe place to hide. I hope the others did too. I thought.

"They won't find Oreon and Ralph, right?" Ralph asked. I looked at him. He was scared. I could understand his fear. We were more exposed here. I wanted to tell him the truth, but I just couldn't do that to him.

"Yeah, they won't find us. You don't have to worry. As long as we stay here and stay quiet, we'll be okay. I promise, buddy." He smiled a little.

"Ralph is glad he's not alone for this. Ralph would've...lost his nerve, heh." Ralph said rigidly. I gave him a hug.

"We'll be fine. Besides, we actually have an advantage staying here!" I said.

"H-how?" Ralph asked.

"Well, this is an obvious hiding spot. Too obvious! They'll think that no android would be in their words 'dumb enough' to stay here! So they won't bother looking! We'll be safe here after all!" I said, trying to convince him of that, but I was also desperately trying to convince myself as well. Ralph smiled a little.

"Oreon is right! The humans won't bother coming here!" He agreed. I smiled, relieved that it had worked.

"Yeah! Of course they won't! We're safe here! I know it!" I said. Ralph smiled. He began to head upstairs.

"Ralph is going to rest! Can Oreon keep watch?" He asked.

"Of course, pal!" I replied. He smiled and headed up. I sighed, my smile dropping. I looked out the window as some soldiers were looking around the local area. They were looking everywhere but the house, fortunately. I thought of the others. I sighed heavily. Please stay safe guys.