Chapter 74

You watched as he left. You felt awful. You didn't want him to leave. Tears rolled down your face as guilt filled your heart. You felt arms wrap around you. You turned quickly and latched onto Connor.

"I'm sorry." He told you. You held him tighter.

"Don't be. It's nothing you did. I can see that now. It's who you were that set him off. He just doesn't want to accept the fact that you've changed." You said.

"He saw us last night." Connor stated.

"I figured." You sighed pulling back to wipe the tears away. "I wish he could understand." Connor kissed you.

"I know, but it'll be okay. I'm sure he'll come around." You smiled.

"You always know what to say to me, Con." You said.

"Anything to make you feel better." He replied. You both kissed and he held you close to him for a long time. Neither of you spoke, only wanting to embrace each other. "We should probably go check on the wolves." He said after a while. You smiled.

"Yeah. You're right. They've been outside all night." You agreed. You both headed outside to see both of them sleeping together in the dog house. You both smiled. At least you two had a peaceful morning. You thought.

"Galaxy! Bandit! Come on! Let's get you two inside!" You called, waking them up. They hurried over and wiped off their paws on the matt before heading inside. You smiled, feeling a bit better. You frowned as you once again recalled Oreon. You knew you couldn't just kick Oreon out. I'm going to talk to him. I have to try.

Oreon's POV

I went back to Ralph, tears in my eyes. It had felt like a million knives straight to my heart when she had told me to leave. I never thought she would go that far. I had nowhere else to go. I just wanted to drop off the map. I didn't want to exist. I wanted to be alone until I could figure everything out. I didn't want to be found. I just wanted to be gone. I didn't want to die, I just wanted to disappear.

I made it to Ralph's and I knocked on the door. I waited for him to answer. Soon, the door opened.

"Oreon! You have come back to visit Ralph!" He said with a smile, then he noticed my expression. "Um...c-come in." He said. I nodded thankfully to him and I sat down in a chair. He sat down next to me. "I-is there anything Ralph can help with?"

"I need a place to stay, pal. Can I live here again?" I asked. He nodded.

"Of course. Ralph will always help Oreon and any of his friends." Ralph said. I smiled.

"Thanks Ralph." I said.

"Ralph is curious why Oreon has returned." He said.

"(Y/n) kicked me out. She said if I couldn't get along with Connor then I couldn't stay. She just doesn't understand. I love her! Can't she see that?" I asked.

"Have you told (Y/n) you love her?" Ralph asked.

"Well...I tried once, but she mentioned that she and Connor were together before I could tell her." I said.

"Maybe that's why! She is with Connor, so she doesn't notice because she loves him and you have never told her that you care." Ralph pointed out.

"But how am I supposed to tell her I love her? She loves Connor and she always will, no matter how much I've done or ever will do for her." I said.

"How does (Y/n) perceive Oreon?"

"She sees me as a brother." I explained.

"Then there might not be much else for Oreon to do other than move on. She does love you, Oreon, but just not in the same way you love her. Maybe you should take that love and have something than be miserable and have nothing. Ralph seems like he has nothing, but Ralph has everything in a way! Ralph has Oreon, a good friend! Ralph has a home that provides enough for him. Ralph is now free in a scary world. Ralph has little, but Ralph has enough. Oreon might not have what he wants, but he shouldn't deny all that he has." Ralph pointed out. I was stunned. Ralph was smarter than he looked. I thought about it.

"But...it still hurts." I said.

"Being sad is easy in a broken world. Be happy is harder. Nothing good comes from the easy way out." Ralph said. "But still, Oreon may stay here! Ralph will take care of his guest until Oreon decides on what he should do!" Ralph said.

"Ralph will go to New Jericho to get more clothing for Oreon! Ralph should go now so he's home before dark! Ralph will see Oreon soon! Ralph thinks Oreon needs some time alone anyway. Bye Oreon!" Ralph called as he headed out.

"Bye." I muttered as the door shut behind him. I thought about what he said. Was he right? I didn't know. I loved her, so it made sense for me to want her to be mine and not Connor's, but she did still love me. I knew that she loved me. Is it me? Will I ever be satisfied? I don't know if I'll ever be satisfied. If I accept her love, would that be enough? I just feel so empty. I wondered. I sighed. If only I could have one kiss, maybe that would be enough. If only I could hear you say it once, maybe it would be enough. I wish this was enough. I wish the love you're giving me was enough. I don't know how to make it be enough.

I sat there for a long time, thinking over everything that had happened and everything Ralph had told me. I need to try to make it be enough. But...I need to take some time away. I need a few days. Maybe then I can go back and talk to her. Hopefully, we can fix things then. I...I don't want to have to stay away from her. I never want to leave her.

I wondered how she would react if I came back in a few days. I hoped she wouldn't still be upset with me. I realized just how much I had given up. I was trying so hard to conceal it when I should've just been trying to give to her. I was making it worse when I was trying to make it better. No. No, I wasn't. I was just doing what I thought was right...wasn't I? I didn't want to believe it was my fault. If only I had known denying it would make things even worse.