Chapter 40 - I'll Be By Your Side

August 20, 1999
San Francisco, California
San Francisco Medical Center

Ginuwine's Setting

"Good Morning babygirl. You're gonna have a lot of visitors today", Ginuwine said to Mariah even though he knew that she couldn't hear him.

It had been five days since everything happened and Mariah still hadn't woken up from surgery and it started to worry him. The doctors told him that she would eventually wake up with time but he often thought of the possibility of her never waking up at all and it killed him inside.

"Aaliyah, Brat, Tim, Static, and my parents are coming to see you today. Nas was supposed to come too but he had some business to take care of", he said gently stroking her hand.

Ginuwine focused his eyes on her baby bump before he began to rub it softly. He started to feel small movements under his hand and immediately began smiling. She wasn't even four months pregnant yet and the twins were already beginning to move around.

"Our babies are moving babygirl. They want their mommy to wake up", Ginuwine said in amazement.

"I see you two are finally up for the morning. Daddy loves you. Mommy loves you too but I love you more", he grinned.

"Oh my God! Mariah!", Aaliyah said as she walked into the room. She heard that Mariah had gotten hurt but she didn't know that it was that severe.

"Hey Liyah", Ginuwine said as he got up to greet his sister.

"Hey G. How is she doing?", she asked.

"She's stable but still in critical condition", Ginuwine sighed. "The babies are doing fine though."

"What? She's pregnant? When were y'all gonna tell me?", Aaliyah frowned.

"We were going to tell everyone once she made the four month mark but then everything happened. See, here's her belly. There's twins in there", he said as he rubbed her stomach.

"Twins?! Wait till mommy finds out. She's gonna be so excited", Aaliyah beamed but grimaced as soon as she saw how many machines Mariah was connected to.

"When is mama, dad, and Rashad going to be here?", Ginuwine asked.

"They won't be here until this evening and Tim and Static can't come until tommorow. So I guess I'll stay here because you look like you need to get some rest G."

"I'm good Liyah. I'm not leaving this room until Mariah wakes up. I already told her that I'll be there whenever she's ready to wake up", he sighed as looked over Aaliyah's shoulder at his fiance.

"But you need to take care of yourself too. You look tired and worn out. Get a hotel room and at least take a shower and change your clothes. I'll stay here with Mariah. I brought some nail polish so I can paint her fingers and toes, and some other things to make her look cute while she's here", Aaliyah smiled. She always knew how to make something good out of a bad situation. Aaliyah loved Mariah like a sister even though they had spoken in a while since the argument they had over a year ago but Aaliyah still loved her the same.

"Are you sure about this Liyah? What if something happens while I'm gone? I want to be there for her in every way I can", Ginuwine said, feeling uncertain.