Chapter 41

August 23, 1999

San Francisco, California

Ginuwine's Setting

"Aaliyah what did you do to Mariah?", Ginuwine chuckled as he walked into Mariah's hospital room.

He hadn't seen her in two days because Aaliyah insisted that he catch up on much needed rest. Now that he was rejuvenated, he would be spending the rest of his time at the hospital until Mariah decided to wake up.

"What do you mean G? I made her look pretty", Aaliyah smiled.

While Ginuwine was away, Aaliyah decided to give Mariah a makeover. She knew how Mariah always loved to look cute so she painted her fingers and toes in bright pink nail polish, brushed her messy curls into two neat, braided ponytails with barrettes at the end, and put some pink-tinted sunglasses on her face. Mariah just needed a cute purse and heels and she would be a Malibu Barbie doll.

"You made her look like a six year old", he said as he walked over and took the sunglasses off of her face. "Did mama, dad, and Rashad come and visit yet?"

"Yes, actually they all just left to go to the cafeteria to get some lunch. They'll be back soon", Aaliyah said as she sat down by Mariah's bed.

"Has the doctor's said anything about her condition since you didn't tell me anything over the phone", he rolled his eyes.

"Yes, he said that she is steadily improving and they took out some of the IV's that she had in her arm yesterday. The babies are also doing fine too. I can't wait to meet them when they are born. I hope they are both girls", Aaliyah said.

"How did mama and dad react to Mariah being pregnant?", Ginuwine asked. He already knew that Aaliyah was going to tell them but he wanted to know what their reactions were, especially his dad Michael, who often always had something negative to say.

"Mommy was so excited that she started crying and Dad said 'hopefully those babies come out black instead of white, I told him about associating himself with that white woman'", Aaliyah rolled her eyes.

"Man fuck him. If he feels that way, then why the fuck did he come out here to see her. He could've stayed his ass in New York. Mariah identifies herself as black and that's all that matters. Matter of fact, call his ass now and tell him not to come back up here since he feels that way. I don't even want to talk to his ass", Ginuwine said getting upset.

Nothing that he did ever satisfied his father. He refused to let him speak ill of Mariah especially at a time like this where she needed all the prayers and support she could get.

"Okay", Aaliyah shrugged, getting her phone out her purse and leaving the room to call their father.

Ginuwine immediately took his mind off of his father and focused on what was in front of him.

"Hey babygirl. I'm back. I heard that you've been getting better and I'm so proud of you. I missed you so much while I was gone but I had to get some rest", Ginuwine said as he looked over her. The bruises that were all over her body were beginning to disappear and the cuts were starting to heal. A lot of the machines that used to be in the room were now gone especially the breathing machine, signalling that Mariah could now breathe on her own.

It would only be a matter of time before Mariah finally woke up from her slumber.

"Is that my son? I haven't seen you in so long! Why didn't you tell me sooner that Mariah was pregnant?!", mama Diane said as she entered the room with Aaliyah and Rashad following close behind.

"Hey mama! Sorry I've been so busy but I did keep my word when I said I was going to call you more", Ginuwine beamed as he pulled his mother into a tight hug.

"Mhmm you been busy making me some grandbabies so I'm not mad at you", she chuckled.

"Aye wassup bro?", Rashad said as he gave Ginuwine dap.

"I'm being as strong as I can for her and the twins bruh", Ginuwine sighed.

"It's gonna be alright. Mariah is a strong woman. She's gonna be back to normal in no time."

"I hope so", Ginuwine said.

"Did the police ever find out who did this to her?", mama Diane asked.

"Yeah they told me they had a suspect but they won't release his name for some reason and the other one is still on the run", Ginuwine said, referring to Janet who was nowhere to be found. Ginuwine hadn't told his family about the incident with Janet because it would sound like he cheated on Mariah when he didn't.

"Well both of them need the death penalty for what they did to my little butterfly", mama diane frowned as she looked at Mariah.

"Oh they gon' get what's coming to them", Ginuwine said as he began thinking of ways to get revenge.

Tommy and Janet had messed with the wrong one.