Chapter 27: Silver Linings

Dedicated to Taylorxshawn

Matthew's POV

I pulled into my driveway. I was still pretty angry. How could he do that to Cameron?

I got out the car and opened my front door. My mom was standing in the hallways. "Matthew where did you go! Why did you leave me at the hospital! Your lovely friend Clayton gave me a lift home." she said. "I'm sorry mom, it's just I had to go and talk to someone." I said. I closed the front door. I then went to the living room and sat down on the couch. I let out a deep sigh. My mom entred the living room and sat next to me. She took my hand and gave me a sympathetic smile. She could see I was beyond stressed out and upset.

"Talk to me sweety. Tell me what happened. Where did you do?" she asked. I sighed. I pondered whether or whether not to tell her the truth. I figured it would be the best idea.

"It was Nash mom. It was Nash who beat up Cameron." I said in a whisper. My mom's eyes grew wide. "But why? Aren't they best friends?" she asked. "Oh they were more than friends. I guess Nash just couldn't accept himself and took it out on Cameron." I said. My mom looked a little taken back by what I had just said. "Nash is gay?" she asked. I shrugged. "I don't know mom. But I know that they were together. At least to Cameron anyway." I said. My mom sighed. "Sometimes people need something like this to happen to understand the severity of their actions. Nash needs to learn to accept himself. He needs to learn that before he can be with Cameron. Not that after this, Cameron would want that." she said insight-fully. I took a moment to absorb what my mom had just said. "And you? How are you dealing with this?" she asked. "I don't know mom. Cameron is my best friend. I love him to death and he has always been there for me. I just want him to be okay." I said. "He will Matthew, don't worry okay? We can go visit him every day if you want to." she said. I looked up at my mom. I had never really appreciated her. "Thank you mom..." I said. "For what?" she asked. "Just... thank you." I said.

I suddenly felt like now was the time. "Mom... what If I was just like Cameron?" I asked. My mom looked at me confusingly and then it hit her. She looked at me and smiled. "I always knew Matthew. And I don't hate you for it okay. You're prefect just the way you are and I don't care what gender you love. Just make sure you adopt so I can have gran-kids." she said with a cackle. I felt like three million pounds had just been lifted off my shoulders. I felt such a sense of relief. A tear escaped my eye. "Hey it's okay." she said while hugging me. She kissed my forehead. "I love you okay?" she said. "I love you too." I said back while wiping my eyes.

"I'm going to go upstairs now, it's pretty late. Goodnight mom." I said while hugging her again.

I then went upstairs to my room. I collapsed on the bed. This was all too much for one day.

I had drifted to sleep when a scratching sound woke me up. My room was completely dark, with the exception of the moonlight streaming in from the curtain. I waited a bit. Maybe it was just in my head. I laid my head back down and closed my eyes.

I heard the sound again. I got up and walked over to my balcony. I pulled the curtain open and there stood someone I had not expected to see.

Carter.

I reluctantly opened the sliding door. "What are you doing here Carter?" I asked. Carter decided to walk in my room. I rolled my eyes and turned on my light. He sat on my bed. "What do you want Carter?" I asked, now annoyed.

"I want to talk to you." he said. "About what?" I asked while also sitting on the bed. "Is what you said to Nash true? Did he really hurt Cameron that badly?" he asked. I snorted. "Go to the hospital and see for yourself!" I spat.

"Why are you mad at me?" Carter asked. This upset me.

"Are you FUCKING stupid Carter? You are actually asking me why I am upset right now! Do you and Nash just have some kind of thing for putting people who love you in the hospital!" I said a bit too loudly. Then the realization of what I just said hit me. Fuck. I should NOT have said that.

Carter looked at me with wide eyes. "Matt I--"

"Just leave Carter." I said while cutting him off. Carter looked at me for a while. He stood up to leave but then spun around and started walking closer to me. I almost half expected him to punch me. But instead I felt his soft lips on mine. WHAT?

His lips started moving against mine. I didn't respond for a while, I was in total shock. I really did not expect this.

Eventually I started kissing back. His hands found my waist and pulled me even closer to him. After about a minute or two, he pulled away. I looked down. "Why did you do that?" I asked. Carter sighed. "Ever since that night, ever since you spoke to the last time, I couldn't stop thinking. I liked being with you. I love being with you. I'm happy when I'm with you Matt. You make me happy. And it took me a while to realize that it shouldn't matter what your gender is, what should matter is who you are and how you make me feel. And when I found out that you--" he took a deep breath. "I was scared Matt, I was scared you were gone. I was scared you never wanted to talk to me ever again. I had to find out from Taylor if you were alright. I also broke up with Maddie..." he said, I could hear his voice shake.

He looked at me, waiting for a response. But I didn't have one. Instead, I grabbed the back of his neck and smashed my lips against his. I could feel his smile. This feeling, this feeling is all I ever wanted. And as our lips moved in sync, all my feelings of depression and melancholy disappeared almost instantly.

//

Character Ask:

Nash

Cameron

Matthew

Carter

Shawn

Taylor

Clayton

Lia

Question Of The Day: What are you dressing up as for Halloween?

I am going as Magenta from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.