Chapter 33: Mr Mendes

Shawn's POV

It's two AM and I lay in the middle of nowhere alone. The charcoal black sky above me was filled with little spots of white, as if someone flicked paint at it.

It was completely dark where I was laying, the only light coming from the moon, which was just a sliver of a crescent.

My car's headlights once illuminated the small patch of grass I was laying on, but after three hours I had to switch them off so they wouldn't drain battery.

I could still smell the fragrance that had once come from the dinner I had cooked and brought here, it was long gone now. I had to eat at some point.

I had been waiting for eight hours, he still hasn't come.

I distinctly remember that as the first hour passed, I had thought that maybe he was just late, maybe he just got caught in something you know.

By the second and third hour I started to grow hungry. By the fourth and fifth I had already eaten everything I had cooked for us. By the sixth and seventh hour I played on my guitar. I played what I would have played him, if he were here. And now, the eighth hour, I lay on the grass looking up at the stars, hoping that maybe he'll still come.

The logical part of my brain knew how highly unlikely it was. He hasn't come in the last eight hours, why would he come now. It was simple data analysis. For example, if say for the past eight days, it has rained. And there has been no signal that is it has gotten lighter or less. How likely is it that will rain the next day? It's very likely.

Even though I knew he wouldn't come, I just wished that the eighth hour would be the sunny day.

I reached in my back pocket and pulled out a small box. I had put so much time into this, so much effort to fix whatever was left of our relationship. But it seemed I was the only one trying.

I opened it and pulled out the ring. It was perfect, everything he would want.

Maybe I was over analyzing here and something wrong did happen. I constantly checked my phone to see if I had gotten any messages but I had got none. I also made the decision not to ask him where he was, he should know where to be. He should be here. Unless of course, he forgot. But that's impossible. How can you forget your two year anniversary?

I let out a sad laugh. I was pathetic. Tonight was going to be the night I gave myself to him, under the stars.

I quickly shut the small box closed and got up. 'Just wait five more minutes' a voice in my head said. No.

He isn't coming. I quickly picked up my guitar and the blanket I had already folded up. I threw them in the backseat of my car.

I got in the front and started my car. 'Just wait.' the voice said again. I hesitated. No. I will not wait any longer.

I started reversing until I could feel my car on the road. Then I drove.

Somewhere along the drive I started to feel immense anger. He left me. He forgot. I don't know why I took this so personally, it could just be an honest mistake, but I got the feeling it wasn't. I had a bad feeling. The last time we spoke didn't end on the best note.

*FLASHBACK*

I stood backstage, watching Taylor perform. He was on tour with the Jacks. The Jacks had asked me to tour with them but I said no as I was touring with The Vamps.

Taylor was amazing on stage. He wasn't wearing a shirt either and that just made me a bit more hot and bothered.

"So which lucky lady wants to come on stage?" he asked into the microphone. All the girls screamed.