Chapter 68: Shutdown

Hayes' POV

"Shawn!" I yelled.

For the past few weeks I had thought Shawn was missing or dead. Seeing Shawn standing there made me feel so much better. It was the best birthday present ever, just knowing that he's okay.

Just as I began to run over to him there was a loud crash from upstairs. I jumped at the fright. Everyone's eyes grew wide. Then the sound of footsteps hastily walking down the stairs was heard. Cameron emerged from upstairs. He had tears in his eyes.

Everyone exchanged nervous glances. Something bad had happened.

I couldn't help but ignore the horrible feeling in my gut telling me that this is just the beginning of a huge shit storm about to hit.

"I have to go." He said quickly while wiping a tear from his face. He then gave me a sympathetic smile. "Happy birthday." He said as he hastily walked out the front door.

Everyone was quiet. "What the hell just happened?" Taylor asked while emerging from behind Shawn.

My heart started beating really fast.

Nash. I needed to see if he was okay. I quickly ran upstairs to check on Nash. Whatever just happened could not be good. Especially considering Nash's recent mood.

My heart stopped and I froze. Nash was standing, aimlessly staring at the floor. The floor was filled with broken glass and the remains of a watch.

There were tears dropping out of his eyes, yet his face showed no emotion.

I ran up to Nash and grabbed him. "Nash?" I asked. He looked at me with no emotion whatsoever. "Nash what happened?" I demanded. Nash didn't reply. He just looked at me, a single tear dropping from his eye.

"Nash goddamit! Answer me!" I continued.

No no no. This was not happening. He hasn't had an episode in over a year. He can't have one now. He's been doing so well for himself. I thought he could control this.

"Nash! Look at me!" I yelled. He lifted his head up. And then I noticed.

His eyes were grey.

And that's when I knew, that he was gone.

//

I slowly backed away from Nash.

I quickly ran back down stairs.

"EVERYONE OUT NOW!" I yelled.
Everyone looked at me with confused and puzzled faces. "NOW!" I repeated.

No one moved. I felt myself getting weak. I collapsed on the ground.

Mahogany rushed over to me. The tears were pouring out of my eyes at an imaginable speed. "Hayes what is wrong?" she demanded. I looked up at her.

"Please, just get everyone out of here and call my dad." I said softly. Mahogany hesitated. "Please..." I begged.

Mahogany nodded her head and let me go. I curled up into a ball and started balling.

"Everyone. You heard what Hayes said. Please leave. Now." Mahogany said assertively.

"Why? What's going on?" Jack Johnson asked. "Yeah, we want to know. We can help." Taylor added.

"Guys PLEASE. I'll keep you updated just please leave." Mahogany begged.

I heard the soft murmurs of complains as all the guys were forced to leave. I didn't care. All I cared about was my brother. I knew he wasn't okay. He had gone back to that dark place.

After everyone had left, Mahogany dialed my dad's number.

"Hi Mr Grier? Yes it's Mahogany. You need to come home immediately. Something's happened." She said calmly. "No I am not sure. Hold on a second." She said while bringing the phone over to me. I quickly grabbed it.

"Hayes what is the issue?" My dad asked. He sounded annoyed. We probably interrupted him watching some show.

"Nash is bad again." I said softly.

Mahogany raised an eyebrow.

The other end was silent.

"I'll be there immediately." My dad said while hanging up.

"What do you mean 'Nash is bad again'?" Mahogany asked. All her sense of calmness had vanished. I didn't say anything. I wasn't sure if I should tell her or not.

She turned around and started to go upstairs.

I quickly got up and stopped her. "No. Don't go up there." I said firmly.

She threw her hands up. "Then explain to me Hayes. Explain to me what is going on here!" She demanded.

I took in a deep breath.

"Nash is bipolar. Manic-depressive. Whatever you want to call it okay. He has it at its severest. He's been on medication his whole life."

Mahogany started breathing really fast. "How come I didn't know? How come the guys didn't know?" she asked.

I shrugged. "He wanted to keep it a secret. We all thought he was getting better. It's been over a year since the last time he had an episode. I didn't... I didn't think it would happen again."

"An episode?" Mahogany asked.

"He either gets really happy or really sad. And when he gets really happy, he gets really happy. So happy it's kind of terrifying. But it's worst when he gets sad. He doesn't leave his room. He doesn't talk. You can go up to him and he will have no emotion whatsoever. He builds this wall in his mind and he does it so well that if he is behind it for long enough, he can't even get out. It's only ever been like this once before. He didn't talk or leave his room for three months. When he did leave, it was to attempt to jump off a building." I said. I started crying even harder at the memory. That horrible day.

Mahogany looked like she was on the verge of breaking down too. She was swaying back and forth. "God. I am so sorry Hayes." She said softly.

"It's hereditary. Nothing to be sorry about."

"You don't have it do you?"
Mahogany asked slowly.

"No. I haven't shown any signs of it so." I said with a sigh.

Mahogany nodded.

"How do you stop it?" she asked.

"You don't. You have to wait till the episodes over. And that can take weeks."

//

QOTD: when you feel down or sad, what do you do to cheer yourself up?

-I like to watch the first two seasons of Glee idk why don't judge.