Chapter 3

Charlotte's POV

After about forty-five minutes I decided to listen to music and attempt to sleep. I was tired from waking up early and would soon be jet lag which I was not looking forward to. I turned my iPad to my John Mayer playlist. Managing to sleep for over an hour, I eventually woke back up. After fifteen minutes of my mind wandering aimlessly I decided falling back to sleep wasn't worth it. I pulled up the photo albums I had downloaded before the trip and started to scroll through the pictures.

Thinking about making new friends made me sick. I knew it wouldn't be hard, but I wasn't looking forward to it.

As I scrolled from picture to picture I noticed Liam's eyes following the screen. I glance up at him; he met my eyes with a heartfelt glance. "It's not easy is it?"

Taking my earphones out I shook my head, "No."

"It'll be okay though," his face was twisted into a sincere expression. "You seem kind, smart, and funny and determine. Not to mention you are pretty." His shoulders shrugged.

"Well, thank you. It's encouraging to hear that from a stranger." I laughed. "No, truly it is."

"Are you leaving behind a boyfriend? – Cause that's probably the hardest part. I travel all the time – it's what split me and my girlfriend up." His eyes flashed a speck of pain that was quickly blinked away.

"No, I broke up with him a little over a month ago," I muttered as I recalled my breakup. I scrolled to a picture of me and Chance, showing Liam.

"Awe, you look happy," he grinned a supporting smile. "What was he like?"

Staring back at the glossy iPad screen the boy I had once been close too stared back at me. His pearly green eyes looked dark and scary as his blonde hair made his skin look tan. His long face was flooded with his cheesy smile. "Well, I thought he was everything. He was always there to talk to and I could always laugh with him, but the more that I think about it the more that I find holes in the relationship we had."

I couldn't believe myself – I was spilling my heart to a complete stranger. Better yet, Liam was asking me questions, urging me on, and listening to my answers. Not even Megan and Sophia had been that caring about the breakup. They just figured it was because I was moving away.

"Well if there is one piece of advice I can give you, it is never settle for anything. You are worth what you want. So don't go for the guy less than your expectations.... That is as long as your expectations aren't too high."

"Thanks, Liam."

"No problem." He smiled at me. It took my breath away. He ran a hand through his curly hair and sighed, smiling at me once again.

"What about you? Is there some lucky girl out there who gets to call you her boyfriend?" I winked slightly.

He laughed, catching my wink. "Not anymore," his voice cracked slightly. "We, erm, broke up a little bit ago. I mean it was mutual but still hard as I'm sure you understand."

His jaw twitched. I knew the feeling that was overtaking his emotions. I knew it better than the back of my hand.

"It's like when you know it is the right thing to do, yet you don't want to leave it behind because, well, because it scares you to know that once again you made the wrong choice. But even then it means you are one step closer to making the right one."

Liam let out a deep breath. "Exactly. Not many people get it."

"No, you're right. No one does," I laughed even though it wasn't funny. "My friends' idea of comfort was willing me to think about the hot British boys I would meet. Sure, I mean..." I shrugged and Liam chuckled.