Chapter 52

Louis' POV

"Pass the breadsticks please," Lauren looked up from her salad to the basket of bread that was in front of her, then to me.

"So you're talking to me?" she whispered.

"Niall? Can you hand me the breadsticks?" I snapped Niall out of his conversation with Amalia. He frowned but did what I asked.

Lauren's face fell and I immediately felt terrible for doing what I had done. She pushed her chair backward, and I watched as her slender body twisted through the maze of tables towards the bathroom. I shook my feelings of guilt away as I pictured her and Liam making out. Sickening.

I turned my attention back to the table to see Amalia staring at me, "You jerk!" She threw her napkin on the table and followed after her younger sister.

Once Amalia was gone Niall slapped me across the table.

"What the hell was that for?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Oh shut up Louis," the harshness in his voice caught me off guard. Niall Horan was never mean. "I could have made a fist. Then you and Liam would have matching faces."

I sank my teeth into the side of my cheek.

"Why the hell are you being sucha... sucha...I don't even know!"
I cocked my eyebrow in anticipation for him to continue.

"Leave her alone Louis! She didn't do anything to you!"

"What so you are just going to defend her?"

"Louis Tomlinson, she didn't do anything wrong."

I shook my head, "Naw, she just made out with Liam."

"Let me see. You've made out with Hannah and Eleanor. Should I just walk around acting like a jerk towards you?" His silky blue eyes were on fire.

I stared back at him, with no answer.

"Maybe if you would stop being such a jerk and you talked to her, you would understand the situation better!"
"Cause you understand it? What did Liam tell you? Hm? Because I don't really care to hear an explanation. If she wants to be all lovey-dovey with Liam then she can go for it! But I'm not gonna sit here and just watch!"
"LOUIS THEY ARE OVER! Not only are they over, but Char is miserable, Liam is miserable, and Lauren is miserable, probably crying her eyes out because her best friend is acting like a complete douche. So you tell me what's wrong with that picture!"

I shrugged, "They shouldn't have got it on if they couldn't handle the consequences."

"You are sucha jerk," Niall's voice was low. He pushed back from the table and followed the same path the two girls had taken to the restroom area.

"Well then," I smiled at Zayn who's eyes just shot through me telling me that I better shape up or something bad was going to happen.

"I'm just gonna go?" I suggested. He nodded approvingly. Leave it to Zayn to remain calm, not say a word, and still know how to fix the situation. "Okay then, bye."

I grabbed my car keys and jacket and headed into the cool October air. The dark hid my identity which was good, because I wasn't actually supposed to walk around without security. I unlocked the car door and slid into the driver's seat. I closed the door and revved the engine. Turning on the heat so I wouldn't freeze, I leaned my head against the steering wheel and closed my eyes. The image of Lauren walking away burned into my mind.