Chapter 60

Charlotte's POV

It was past midnight and the sharp November wind nipped at my skin. As I continued to wander, I tried to think of a place where I could go that would be open. I had wandered back towards the area where I had originally stayed before school started. I started recognizing the buildings and landmarks. Then, through the misty rain, I saw Milkshake City across the street. I pulled my hood over my head and darted across the street. It was the only warm, dry, safe place I knew of.

I pushed the door open into the heated room and sighed instantly. The warm air bounced against my skin causing me to shiver. I walked through the threshold up to the counter.

The lady working turned around, wiping her hands with a towel.

"Hello, Welcome to Milkshake City. What can I.... oh." She stopped talking. "You're Mr. Payne's girl aren't you?"

Unsure of how to answer I just nodded.

"Yes," she smiled at me. "I served you two milkshakes a few months ago."

I grinned at the memory. Kit kat milkshakes.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" the woman waved her hand in front of my face. I shook my head, snapping out of my memory. "You don't look so good. Is everything okay?"

"No," I sighed. "No it's not."

"Maybe an ice cream and coffee could help?" she suggested.

I nodded and ordered a large coffee and a kit kat milkshake.

While she prepared my food, I took a seat at a table. I pulled my phone out and sent a quick text to Marisa, hoping that she would pick me up when she was on her way home. I didn't tell her where I was though. I didn't really want anyone to find me.

I folded my arms on the table, resting my head on them. I closed my eyes and pictured everything that had just occurred.

Liam crying.

Me crying.

Charlie comforting me.

Charlie kissing me.

So many things were wrong with the images that filled my mine. I needed to talk to Liam. Once my mom had, in a way, said she approved, I knew it was time to talk. The thing was I didn't know what I was going to say. How do you tell someone that you love them, but that you just took two weeks off because you were scared of your feelings? Scared of the feelings that were driving you apart from family and friends. The feelings that led you to be happy for the first time in a long time.

"Here you go sweets," the grey haired lady handed me my cups. "Are you sure you're okay?" The concern on her face reminded me of that of my grandma's.

"Yeah," I sniffed, wiping my hand across my face and clearing a dripping tear. "No... but yeah."

"It's about the boy." She stated it plainly.

I bit my lip and nodded. "What are you suppose to do when you really love someone, but you needed time away to sort out your thoughts? And while you took that time you realized how much you missed them, but you don't have the courage to tell them how you feel. Plus, while you were taking that time, your best guy friend just happens to apparently fall in love with you and, and, he kisses you."