Chapter 26

Charlotte's POV

After sound check was over, Liam grabbed my arm and escorted me backstage into his dressing room. I draped myself along the sofa that was in the far end of the tiny room.

"So how do you like our songs?" Liam asked as he stripped off his t-shirt.

I glanced away nervously. He saw me do this.

He chuckled, "Shy Char? Really?" He walked over towards me still shirtless. "I never would have taken you as a shy girl."

"I'm not," I told him without meeting his eyes.

"Then look at me," he commanded. I could hear the smirk present in his voice.

Sure enough, when I looked up shyly to meet his eyes, he was grinning at me just inches from my face.

He placed a wet kiss on my cheek before sliding next to me. "I think I like this shy, Char," he stuttered over the words, "although it's rather hard to say."

I laughed.

He snaked his arm around me pulling me to his bare chest. I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

"I like this," I whispered. "Being here with you... without anyone else."

"I know," he whispered back. "Four band mates have their disadvantages."

"I won't say that..."

"I like it better when I get to be alone with you, though."

"I mean I do, too."

Silence fell over the room; I was content with listening to our hearts beating.

"Do you know what the worst part about being famous is?" he asked me.

"No, what?" I asked.

"It's not being able to enjoy things like this. When you're young and innocent and carefree and you are in a relationship.... You have to be so much more careful about the whole thing. It's like you are holding your breath because one slip up can just... it can just ruin everything."

He cradled me closer to him, "Ruining everything could mean losing everything."

I looked up at him, "Liam..." I said. "What if I told you that I think I don't care anymore?"

I didn't have to explain any farther. He knew what I meant.

"Char, don't...." he started. "Earlier you were freaked out. I, I'm not going to push you. I promised myself I wouldn't."

I took a deep breath and rethought about everything. During sound check I had thought about how happy Niall and Amalia were. There was no denying that every time Niall looked towards Amalia he smiled, she melted, smiled back, and then his eyes would light up. It was adorable.

"Niall and Amalia..." I stopped not knowing how to explain myself.

"Charlotte, they've known each other forever."

"Are you saying that..." he cut me off before I could accuse him of anything.

"No, no I'm not saying anything," he stroked my hair comfortingly. "I just don't want you to be under the impression that it's like that right away. There's no guarantee that it will be easy right away. More likely, it won't be."
"You know why I'm scared," I sat up suddenly.