Chapter 29

Liam's POV

"Two kit kat milkshakes please," I ordered for us. My arms were still wrapped around Charlotte's waist.

The lady taking our order shook her head, "Sad day when you have to go on a date at 1AM so you avoid press."

I chuckled, "We aren't avoiding anyone. We just happened to be up and felt like some ice cream."

She clearly didn't believe us. Looking at Charlotte, she said, "Whole lot of ugly out there, miss. Their fans are crazy. Brace yourself for it." Smiling weakly, Char thanked her for both the milkshakes she had handed us and the advice. We wandered over to a booth in the far corner of the tiny shop.

I slid into the seat pulling Charlotte in after me. I tugged her close. She came rather willingly.

"How you doin'?" I asked, stroking her tanned arm.

Her smile was unsteady –her mouth twitching. "Fine."

I gave her a light squeeze attempting to comfort her. "I heard about the tumblr post. Char, I'm sorry. I'm sure the majority of fans don't mean to be hurtful or absolutely creepy. They are just curious."

She sighed, "I know." Her eyes we grey, not the normal electric blue. "It just puts a knot in my stomach and a stab in my heart that I don't know how to make go away."

"Do you think telling would make it all better?" I asked her.

She didn't answer right away. She leaned her head back positioning her body away from me, leaning her head lightly on my chest.

"My mom," she took a deep breath, "she always said that not telling something is just as bad as lying. Lying makes people upset. But so does the truth sometimes. That's what is confusing me. I feel like even if I tell the truth, people are still going to be sending me hate or creeping on me. Then again, if we avoid it, people will be upset at us for, in all technicalities, lying."

I moved my hand to her waist to hold her so she wouldn't fall. Using my thumb, I stroked the bare skin exposed by her shirt riding up. I couldn't be sure, but I thought I heard a light gasp when I touched her skin.

"I completely understand what you are saying," I murmured. I took a deep breath causing my stomach to rise and fall beneath her. "Tonight, I got a good scolding from the boys." Her normally bright eyes looked exhausted as she silently told me to continue. "They told me that I'm playing everything too safe and that I can't be so afraid to get my heart broken again otherwise I'm gonna lose you. I know that they are right." I lowered my head, "But I'm also afraid that announcing a relationship so soon could screw everything up, too. What happens if either way, I lose? Then I'm left right back where I was to begin with."

She didn't say a word, sensing there was more I had to tell. "Apparently I was being stubborn and I started a fight really. Then, after everyone had stormed off into different rooms, Niall came in to talk to me. The great thing about Niall is that he knows what I'm going through. He didn't actually tell me anything. He fought my own stubbornness with questions. He gave me too much to think about but he got his point across. That's why I was awake when you texted me. My mind has been spinning, thinking, and it won't turn off!"

A small smile crept among her face, "Wait, what are you afraid of?"

I lifted my head back up meeting her eyes, "I don't want to lose you, Char. I'll be the first to tell you that this is the happiest I've been in a really long time."