Chapter 68

Charlotte's POV

"I'm sorry Miss but there isn't much I can do for you," the brown haired Southwest worker apologized.

Leave it to Chicago to have a snowstorm the night I was supposed to go home. I had left New York and landed in Chi just in time for the airport to close. Now, I had no idea when I was going to get home.

"Sir, I don't think you understand. I have been in London, England since the begging of August. I've been away from my family for that long. I am tired and I'm pretty sure those girls over there are watching my every move." I pointed to the girls.

The guy chuckled, "Third one to the left looks like she's planning on killing you. What'd you ever do to her?"

"I stole her boyfriend," I snapped.

His eyes widen. The girl was about twelve. To his eyes, the whole situation seemed incredibly disturbing.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying to pull myself back together. "Look, do you have any idea when the airport is going to open back up?"

"Miss, have you looked outside?" He pointed to the windows which were frosted over. Even through the misty glass, you could see the wind whipping snow everywhere. It wasn't a pretty sight. "I know you want to get home, but so does everyone else in this airport. It's Christmas time. I'm sorry."

I shook my head, "Fine." I tapped my fingers on the desk, "But here is my dad's card. We are mile high travelers. That should count for something right?"

He took the card from my hand and examined it, "Yeah, it should. I'll take the card information. We'll email you the second we have an opening to get you back to Omaha."

"Thank you," I huffed. Getting home eventually was better than not getting home at all.

Once he finished taking my information, I took my card back and grabbed my bag off the ground. I pushed my hair back from my face and started my journey to find a quiet, open area to sit.

My mission proved nearly impossible. There were people everywhere. The norm was families with little children running everywhere. There were plenty of crying, sleepy toddlers and moody teenagers. College kids were easy to spot too. Many different university sweatshirts could be spotted. Cranky business men jabbed away on their phones, praying that they'd get home to their families in time for Christmas Eve dinner.

Eventually I found a secluded corner with a row of chairs. Obviously no one other than the tired nursing mother knew it was here.

I smiled at the young mom before taking a seat next to the window. I pulled my sweatshirt from my bag and propped it against the window, using it as a pillow.

I pushed play on my iPhone letting Emmy Rossum, a singer that Lauren had shown me, calm me down. The song Slow Me Down, filled my ears. My eyes fluttered shut as I focused on my breathing. It was ten o'clock and I was tired and stressed out. I was an hour plane ride away from home, but I was trapped. I had nothing better to do than sleep.

The rustling and bustling of people woke me up about seven hours later. It was five in the morning, and people were scurrying about. I sat up straight only to identify a knot in my back from leaning against the window all night. Wonderful. I leaned forward to stretch my back as I rubbed my eyes.