Chapter 44

Charlotte's POV

"They are lying," Zayn sighed.

"You think?" Marisa asked.

I was being a third wheel, but I didn't care. Liam was talking on the phone with his mom.

"Recap what happened."

I retold Zayn about how when we went to find Lauren, she was just sitting watching TV. All she said was that she was tired and claimed she got moody when she was tired.

"She didn't appear moody, though." Zayn squeezed his eyes shut.

"She seemed upset." Marisa shrugged.

"Maybe it's really nothing," Zayn seemed as though he was trying to convince himself.

"I guess if there's something to tell, then they will say it when they are ready."

Neither Lauren nor Louis had admitted that anything was wrong. Even though it seemed crystal clear that it was a lie, no one pushed for any information. Whatever it was, or wasn't, was clearly a touchy subject. Since we had a three hour drive home to look forward too, we didn't want anyone in a particularly bad mood.

"Morning," Niall walked into the kitchen.

"Hey," I smiled. His blonde hair was messy. It was spiky, like Zayn's.

"Did anyone say anything at all?"

All three of us shook our heads. Both of them had made excuses, and this morning they were acting like nothing was wrong. Acting. You could still tell there was something wrong.

Niall bit his bottom lip, hard in concentration. "Maybe we should let it go."

"How can we?" Zayn whispered. "Something happened."

"But it didn't happen this weekend. We would have seen it. It must have been in the past, and if they can put it behind them for the majority of the time then maybe we should leave it behind them."

"Niall's right," we turned to see Liam standing in the doorway. "Maybe what happen in the past is better left in the past, at least when it comes to this."

"I guess we should respect their decision to not tell us," Zayn sighed.

As we came to an agreement, the mood in the room was still a little bit shaky.

"Ok," I whispered. "Well I'm going to go and get my stuff."

I headed back to the room. No one followed me. I didn't care. Despite the endings of last night –all romantic moods had been shattered—it had still been a really great weekend.

I began folding up my clothes and placing the loss items back into my bag.

"Knock knock," I turned to see Liam standing at the door. "Mind if I come in."

"No, leave," I joked. He chuckled and came and sat at the foot of the bed.

"Sorry about last night. I know the boys and I ruined the mood. Amalia wasn't too happy that we spent our last night, well doing nothing once the game ended."

I shrugged, "No worries."

"Yeah, you say that but it was a letdown for all of us. We didn't mean for that to happen. Whatever that was."