Chapter 73

Charlotte's POV

I pulled my packages from the backseat of my car. Twisting my hand through the flimsy plastic handles, I stepped out into the bitter December air and headed towards the garage. Liam had texted me while I was on my way home and told me that they were about an hour and a half out from Omaha. He said the estimated pick up time was around 6:30.

I closed the garage door behind me and thudded into the kitchen. The air was warm from the oven my mom had on.

"Hey mom," I set my stuff on the barstool and leaned on the counter.

"Hey sweetie," she glanced up from her pot of pasta."How was shopping?"

I nodded, "It was fun. Got a few new things. However this Omaha mall holds nothing to the shops in London."

A chuckled formed in the back of her mouth, "Oh I'm sure it doesn't. How is Chance?"

"He's good," I picked a red pepper slice off the veggie tray that was in front of me. "I met his roommate—the one who plays basketball for Creighton. He's really nice. Oh and his girlfriend is really sweet."

"Oh?" my mom's ears perked up. "His girlfriend?"

I had been my conclusion that both my parent's and Chance's parents thought we were still meant to be together.

"Yeah," I nibbled on the pepper. "She's really sweet and she treated me like I was normal."

My mom laughed, "Charlotte you are normal. It's your boyfriend who isn't normal."

My eyebrows furrowed together as I swallowed the rest of the pepper, "No. He's normal. He's just famous."

"Whatever," she brushed the remaining spices from her hands into the sauce and wiped them with a towel. "So I'm making your favorite bread. It's in the oven now."

"Oh," I shuffled uncomfortably. "About that. I'm going out with Liam tonight." I waited for her to say something, but when she didn't I continued. "I mean they are just getting into town and he wanted to take me on a date while we are both here. Like being normal I guess."

Her eyes shifted to me with a sigh, "That's fine but you have to tell your dad."

My heart stopped. I'd been home for six days and every time I tried to talk about Liam or the boys, my dad immediately changed the subject.

"But... he..." my mom held her hands up stopping me.

"If you want to go out with Liam, I'm fine with that. But you are going to have to ask your dad."

"Ask your dad what?" I turned to see my dad walking into the room. He was dressed for work with his briefcase in hand.

"Charlotte has a question," my mom started.

He looked from my mom to me "Yes?"

"Erm, well, is it okay if I go out with Liam tonight?"

My dad's face fell before twisting in anger, "No." He was struggling to keep his voice steady and calm. "Tonight is spaghetti and family movie night, remember?"

I nibbled on my cheek, "Well yeah, but I didn't know that until I got home. No one told me so I made other plans."

My dad looked at me sternly, "So cancel."