Chapter 24

Marisa's POV

"Are you excited for the show tonight?" I took the initiative of starting the conversation.

Zayn grinned, "I'm pumped. We haven't preformed for a while because we were shooting the music video and before that we were actually on break. I'm excited to just get back on stage."

"Do you ever get nervous anymore?"

He thought for a second, "I suppose sometimes. It's more of an adrenaline rush. Your heart beat speeds up and it's like you get dizzy."

"Is it, like, a bad feeling?"

"No. It's exciting I guess. The other feeling that is awesome is sitting below stage and hearing the screams of the crowd."

I chuckled, "That would freak me out!"

"It was shocking the first few times. Like when we were on the X-Factor tour it scared the crap out of me. After a while though, you learn to love it because it's the sound of a fan base –people who love you and support you."

"I guess that's true. The people who are screaming are the people who have gotten you this far," I motioned my hands in front of me. "Playing a sold out benefit concert at the O2 isn't something many artists accomplish."

His eyes twinkled, "Yeah. Sometimes it still feels like a dream."
We walked in silence for a few minutes watching the buzzing excitement around us.

"Everything just has to be perfect?" a woman was screaming. She looked like she was ready to pull her hair out.

"Who's that?" I motioned to the woman.

"That would be our press rep. Lisa is crazy. She's only working with us while our original rep is on maternity leave but, goodness, is she livid when things aren't exactly the way she wants them to be."

"Don't look now but she is on her way over here," I covered my face with my hand to conceal my laughter when Zayn groaned.

"Zayn," the lady snapped.

Zayn cocked an eyebrow at her as if to say don't you know who you are talking to.

The woman seemed shocked that he was scolding her. "Sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'm just stressed. Anyway," her attitude was back, "why aren't you at sound check?" She glanced at her watch. "Time is running out. And who is this?" She shot me a nasty look which I returned with an extremely cheesy smile.

Zayn coughed covering up a laugh. "This is Marisa."

"Hi, nice to meet you." I held out my hand.

She didn't even acknowledge me.

"Girl? At sound check? Really? I can't have you boys distracted," she spat.

"Well don't reprimand me. Amalia is always at sound checks! You have never gotten after her and Niall."

"I never see them distracted from their work!" Wow. Livid Lisa sure can get pretty livid—Zayn wasn't lying.

"Clearly, you never have walked in on a make out session..." Zayn shrugged and then walked right past her pulling me with him.

Once the dumbfounded lady was out of sight I released a snicker I had been holding in.

"Crazy right?" he chuckled. "We would be nicer to her if she didn't treat us like we were four. Besides, as far as I'm concerned we have more power over her than she has over us. All we have to do is complain to Simon and she's gone."

"So why haven't you?"

"Because she's entertaining."

I smacked him, "ZAYN!"
"Wrong? Yes. True? Also yes."

By now, we had made our way to the entrance of the top balcony. We walked into the stadium and found two seats in the very last row. It was the perfect place to talk—to have a serious conversation.

"Do you think Charlotte and Liam are gonna...?" I stopped unsure of what to say. Announce their relationship? Were they even in a relationship?

"If it's up to Liam I'd say no."

I was shocked by his response. "What do you mean? I thought he was head over heels for Char...?"

"That's not what I mean. He is –completely obsessed really – which is really freaking him out. He was crushed, God Marisa, he was so broken, after Danielle, that he doesn't want to have to go through that ever again."

"He wants to play it safe with the press, doesn't he?" I shook my head.

"He doesn't think Char knows what she is getting herself into. He wants their relationship to be so far before he reveals it publicly."

"Did he do that with Danielle?"

"No, but Danielle works in the industry. She knew what was coming for her." He paused, "But personally, I think that Charlotte is a lot stronger than we think."

I shook my head, "She's an actress. I think she can manage a brave face in order to complete a task but deep down..."

"Do you think she'd crack?"

"No, no, no. She wouldn't break. She is incredibly strong but I think she is really good at putting her own emotions aside in order to please other people."

He sighed, "Liam can handle that. I just think that it would be better if he talked to her about the whole situation as a whole. He's so freaked out about scaring her off and getting hurt that he isn't thinking straight."

"Really? From the sound of it, it seems like they are doing a pretty good job of communicating. I think it's gradually getting... what's the word... deeper – like the conversations. Covering more of those need-to-know topics."

"That's good. I worry about him sometimes. It takes a while to bounce back after a heartbreak."

"Are you speaking from experience?" I asked awkwardly.

He leaned his head back against the wall, eyes closed. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry."

"It was mutual. That makes it harder."

I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"It was a while back though. You'd think I'd be able to get over it by now."

"Oh Zayn, don't worry about it. Time will pass. It will fade but I don't think it will ever be fully gone." I rested my head on his arm. He tucked his arm around me so I was half-resting against his chest.

"Now that we've managed to fail at figuring out Char and Li-Li," he said, "What shall we do about us?"

"For the record, I had a really awesome time last night." I smiled at him.

"I did too."

"I don't think I'm ready to be in a relationship though, Zayn. I don't really even know you. I mean I do... but..."

He cut me off, "I'm not pressuring you into anything. I like you. I'm not going to push you away by trying to pull you too close."

"Thanks, I appreciate that. Not many guys I know would do that for me."

"Then you need some better guys, Rissa, because I have this feeling that you are worth the wait."