Chapter 5: You're Who

Kaila sat a little anxious as she played with the the excess fuzz on her onesie. The longer she was in it, the more comfy she seemed to get.

The couple on the other hand sat beside her seemingly more confident than ever before. Their physical presence made them have total control.

They were in silence for a few moments before Kaila built up enough courage to finally speak. "So...w-who are you two?" Her voice was still a little shaky from how nervous she was.

"My name is Lain cutie," The woman looked down softly bopping the little ones nose, "and that scary pants over there, that's my husband Mallix." She pointed over seeing the man chuckle slightly as he rolled his eyes.

Soon the once scary looking man sat besides her, turned soft. His posture eased up and his smile softened. "Thanks for that marvelous introduction babe, that's definitely how I wanted the baby to know me as." He chuckled.

It sent the woman into her own laughing fit and Kaila was just sitting nervously still in the middle of them.

"Oh lighten up precious," The man said in the middle of his laughs nudging her shoulder with his arm.

'Precious' she thought to herself, the name was definitely a new one. She looked at him blankly, unsure of how she herself felt. But there was something else that bothered her, 'Lain and Mallix, where have I heard those names before?' She thought to herself feeling a sense of déjà vu.

"Earth to Kaila" she came out of her head seeing Mallix snapping his fingers in front of the girls face, "Did you hear what I said?" He asked.

'He said something?' Kaila's eyes opened wide realizing she didn't notice. Nervously she shook her head.

He chuckled making Kaila's nervous die down a bit, "I just asked what else did you want to know?" He asked as if he was oblivious to the main question at hand.

"Why'd you kidnap me?" She asked very eager to hear this answer. She looked back and forth between the two giants sandwiching her.

"Kidnaps a harsh word don't you think." Lain started trying to make light of the situation.

"Well it's what happened" the little girl mumbled under her breathe.

"What'd you say?"

"W-well you did" Kaila restated anxiously looking around for their response.

"More like we're here to offer you a better life. Kaila do you know who we are?" Mallix asked putting his hand on her shoulder.

She shrugged her shoulder, she knew she had heard of their names before but where was the question.

Motioning over to the coffee table in front of them Kaila leaned up and grabbed the magazine placed closest to them.

The big heading right on the front cover of the book said Multimillionaire Lain Colden Announces Her New Fashion Line, and in a smaller print under it Written By: Mallix Colden.

It was as if a burst of flashbacks all came flooding back into Kaila's head all at once. Now she knew who they were. She recalled seeing their names written all over social media lately. Lain was a fashion designer of her own clothing line and Mallix was a renouned author. Together they took over the industry, with Lain's talent and Mallix's promotional skills they dominated over all others.

Kaila slowly put the paper down and sat back. "Now do you know who we are?" The man asked again.

This time Kaila confidently nodded. "Good, now me and Lain have always been talking about children, and...a-and well..." he trailed off not knowing exactly how to say it.

Behind her, Kaila could hear a sniffle. She turned around seeing Lain's eyes getting watery. She used her hands to fan them.

"...a-and I can't have them." She blurted out trying to stop the tears from falling.

"Not biologically at least." Mallix chimed back in. "You see we've been wanting a little girl lately, and one day while we were out—we saw you."

Kaila felt shivers all over her body, despite starting to get hot in the warm onesie.

"You were just so cute and adorable. And when we seen you contemplating over whether to buy a stuffed animal, we just fell for you." He explained.

"Then when we found out how late you work, and your habits of going to the club" Lain said looking down at the small girl, "even though someone was underage and yet still walking out drunk. We just wanted to give you a better life."

"This is all very nice of you to offer and all, but I'm not some toddler. I'm eighteen. Can't you just find some kid to adopt?" Kaila said.

"We know that precious, but you've got something no other child has, something very special to the both of us..." Mallix looked at her softly, "...you have our hearts. And we want you."

"Want me? What's that mean?" She asked fearful of what else it inclined.

"Cutie we just want you to be apart of our family. Be our baby girl, and be happy here at home with us." Lain said scooting closer over to Kaila. Mallix followed suit and each of them wrapped an arm around Kaila.

'Be our baby girl' those words rang through Kaila's head. "Is that why you put me in a onesie and have the baby things around?" She asked.

"It is, we want you to be safe. And these will help make sure you stay that way. Please precious, well take things slow if you need but we'd really like it if you'd say you'd stay here with us." Mallix said.

Everything was piling up on Kaila fast, her mind was boggled by everything going on and she wasn't sure about most of it. Did she feel bad that they couldn't have kids on their own? Yeah. But she had just turned eighteen and was ready to live her life, was she ready to give it all away for this.

'Well I mean what's the worst that can happen, so far it's been ok, and I guess they seem friendly. B-but what about my family... and friends? They'll be looking for me. My job? Or what if this just isn't for me. I really shouldn't be doing this. Breathe...' she was thinking too fast in her head that she couldn't even get a chance to inhale properly, 'just think this through. Are you seriously considering staying here with them and playing along with their games. They've taken you from your life. Get out.' Her mind was conflicting.

On the one hand she wanted to get out and get back to her normal life. But on the other it had been a long time since anyone made her feel this way, safe and cared for.

'What do I do?'
———————————————————————
Let me know what you think Kaila's reaction to this all will be. Thanks Lexx signing off