Chapter 30: The Issue At Hand

"Where did you get that?!" Lain's asked beyond worried. She was literally hanging on by the edge of her seat.

"We got a viewer of the show send it in to us a few hours ago." Rodney explained. But Mallix wasn't having it. He leant in to Rodney's ear giving him a death glare as he whispered, "go...to...break." His voice was hard and slow.

Rodney could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand up as he signaled for the crew to go to break. As soon as the "On Air" sign turned off Lain and Mallix both stood up frantically trying to get to their dressing room.

They were red from how flustered they got, but we're more than happy to see Kaila fast asleep snoring lightly.

"What are we suppose to do Mallix?!" Lain was panicking as she started pacing back and forth around the room. This was not how they were expecting their interview to go.

"I don't know babe, we can't stay for the next segment. Someone's bound to have seen that and there going to say something!" He answered just as panicked, the situation was escalating high.

The couple got louder and louder as they began talking over each other, their nerves were pushing them to their limits. Mallix had nervous sweat dripping down the back of his neck, and Lain could hardly stand still.

Being caught up in their own minds the couple hadn't even noticed Kaila had waken up from her nap crying as the duo were practically yelling at one another. She was crying hysterically to herself, for no reason other then they were having an argument.

Finally being broken out of the trance by Kaila whinning and hiccuping in sorrow Lain ran over to her instantly providing comfort as she lifted her up off the couch and onto her lap.

She hummed a sweet tune whilst swaying the small girl from side to side. "Hey cutie no need to cry, shhh, it's ok I'm here sweet girl."

While the soothing motion was proving to be working Lain took a seat on the couch letting Kaila straddle her. Mallix took a deep breathe to calm himself down before moving over to sit next to them.

"Precious...I'm sorry. Did we wake you up?" He already knew the answer but he needed confirmation.

Once her little head nodded both of their heart rates skyrocketed. "How much did you hear baby?" They said in unison knowing that was of their biggest priority right now.

For as far south as this evening had been going, they were more than relieved when Kaila merely muttered, "y-you... were arguing -bout how I was trouble!"

"Kaila," Mallix put his hand firmly down on her thigh, "nobody here said you were any type of trouble. We've just got a slight issue on our hands." He tried to explain as minimum as needed in hopes of not scaring the poor thing.

They had just gotten Kaila used to them, they were not going to let someone come and ruin this happy moment for the little family.

"What's the problem?" She tried getting some type of knowledge.

"It's not your concern sweetie, this is more of a grown up matter that Mallix and I have to work through. Fingers crossed, if we play our cards right we'll be just fine." She sent Kaila down one of the purest of smiles. Being in the spotlight for a while both her and Mallix learned how to put up a front, and a darn good one at that.

All of a sudden a rough banging on their dressing room door sent them all nearly jumping out of their skin.

"Mr. and Mrs. Colden, we need you back on set in five minutes." A stage hand yelled through the door. But at this point neither of the couple were wanting to return to the interview.

But that's when it hit him, Mallix's eyes lit up and his entire jaw dropped. It was going to be a long shot but it was worth it, after all what other choice did they have?

He leaned into his wife's ear and whispered his plan over to her, mindful of Kaila who was snuggling her face into Lain's chest. As soon as Mallix pulled away he cooed down. There was never a time when Kaila ceased to amuse them.

Mallix rose his eyebrows at his wife waiting for her opinion on his plan. "That's risky babe, there's not even a guarantee it works the way your thinking."

He shrugged his shoulders, "but it's the only option we have right now."

"I guess...ok babe, let's give it a try." Lain rolled her eyes at him, sending him a playful smirk.

Looking at the clock in their room, the couple noticed they had only three minutes left before they needed to start the next, and final, segment.

Lain and Mallix both pressed a kiss on Kaila's head before sitting her back down on the couch.

Lain instructed her to finish her sandwich as she put the half eaten meal on her lap. When Kaila nodded without any hesitation, Lain smiled.

That was the last smile for a while as they both left the room keeping it locked, and their faces became serious.

They were going to be doing everything in both of their powers to ensure that Kaila doesn't leave them. Not after all the hardship, pain, and obstacles they faced along the way. Every step they took towards the set they felt themselves becoming more and more nervous to execute Mallix's idea.

They quickly let themselves get their microphones on before stepping out onto the set taking their places besides a now nervous Rodney. They each sent him a daring glare, challenging him to question them any further in the topic at hand. While at the same time remaining with calm composure as to not alert anyone in the audience.

There hearts pounding listening to the offset stage crew counting them off before they were live.
——————————————————————————-
Let me know what you think Mallix and Lain are up to. Thanks Lexx signing off