Chapter 22:  Déjà vu

She whined fighting their holds, but as they were both physically stronger there was no use. Mallix picked her up and carried her bridal style over to the stairs. Lain quickly followed behind, helping to open the baby gates as they walked into the second floor.

Kaila could sense where they were going and that put her even further off the mood. She was already screaming and crying as he held her tightly to his chest.

But without a word Mallix walked into the scary plain room that housed the lonely chair and desk. He eased the small girl down into the chair, she flared her limbs around.

No way was she wanting to be here, not now, not ever! She went to stand up, but the second her bottom made it's way off the chair Mallix and Lain looked unimpressed.

"Kaila, sit your butt down now!" Mallix scolded. He walked over to her and pushed her back down gently. As if some invisible force was with him, Kaila felt herself unable to move the second time off the chair. She knew she was going to have to be here for a long while.

"Don't you move, remember wait until Lain or I come get you." Mallix reminded as he winded up a kitchen timer set in the room before walking out with Lain.

This was giving Kaila some déjà vu as she reluctantly sat in the worlds most uncomfortable seat kicking and pounding on the floor and walls around her.

"What is going on with her?" Lain frustratedly groaned resting her head in her hands, as she sat in Mallix's office chair.

He joined her having just shut the office doors giving them space to talk but still close enough to be there if Kaila decided later she didn't want to sit down in the corner for too long.

"Babe if I knew I would be doing something about it." He said calming down from earlier.

"She's never acted this way before, even when she wasn't ours!" Lain's started working herself up.

"Calm down babe, maybe she's just coming down with something. You and I both know she hasn't been feeling the best all day." Mallix tried offering comfort as he rested his hand on his wife's shoulder.

"Maybe..." she sighed heavily, "I just want her to be happy here. I want her to know how much we love her and that she's safe to tell us things."

"I know, and in time she will." He lifted his wife's head giving her a kiss on the lips before holding her in a hug.

The couple had continued talking about their hopes and dreams now that Kaila was in the picture, but something they didn't know was that the poor thing had been sitting outside their office door listening in.

As the kitchen timer went off, Kaila got up and scrambled back into the boring plain room, in her rush to move across the hall, she took a step too hard causing a thud.

She cringed knowing the couple had heard it, debating on whether to stay or go back, she ran not caring about how loud she was in her tracks back into the seat.

Just moments after she sat down, Lain appeared in the doorway with red eyes. As she went to speak her raspy voice made it clear how much she was crying, "what are you doing Kaila? We're you listening outside the door?"

Kaila's head dropped, she wasn't feeling well and just wanted to get out of this chair. When Mallix appeared, Kaila couldn't help but let the tear works she had been trying so desperately to hold back come flying out.

The sight in front of them was a terrible one, their poor girl was sitting in the chair looking like a ghost, she had lost all color in her skin, she looked like she was ready to vomit with how hard she was crying, and behind her sobs they couldn't make out what she was saying.

Even though he wanted to be strong, he wanted to help her understand not to act that way, but even he too wanted so desperately to comfort the small girl.

He kneeled down in front of her and took one of her hands in his, "look at me Kaila," his voice was commanding but he spoke with ease.

"Downstairs, was a no with your behavior. But we can tell your not feeling very well right now. Can you please do us a favor and tell us what's wrong?"

That only made the small girl cry harder, she didn't want to be sick, didn't want to be a bother. Now that she actually had people who were looking out for her like this, she didn't want to take over and seem clingy or too needy.

"Breathe baby breathe" was the next thing she heard. Kaila had gotten lost in her own trail of thought, not even realizing that Mallix had lifted her up and sat them down in the rocking chair. Over and over him and Lain repeated soft phrases trying to help her settle down.

When that didn't help too much, Lain left the room going downstairs to grab something. When she returned, she directed to Kaila's face one of her pacifiers. Lain recalled the time she settled down driving home from the store.

To their relief the tiny girl wrapped in Mallix's embrace started to settle down, her cries becoming mere whimpers. "That's it baby, don't you feel better not crying so hard" Mallix cooed down feeling her snuggle closely to his chest.

Rather instead of trying to get the small girl to speak right now about what was going on, the couple decided it was time for her to take a nap. For two reasons, one was from how exhausted she looked after exerting so much energy, and from how much she needed to recover first.

Without any more complaining, Mallix was able to lay Kaila down in her crib as Lain began the mobile. The sweet melody along with both Lain humming a song to the rhythm and Mallix rubbing small circles on the girls tummy, soon she was out of it.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off