Chapter 56: Story Time

"Thanks for watching her N." Lain smiled over as the trio were talking. Lain and Mallix had come back from their evening on the town and we're ready to pick up their moody girl. They were all standing outside of Nina's office catching up on the days events.

"Not a problem, she's been a sweetheart most of the time. Besides the incident." She shot her head over to the girl playing with her bear and dressing him in the different outfits she wore.

"But more importantly how'd the hearing go?" Nina turned back to them pushing them slightly out of view of the office door giving them their privacy to talk about more important matters.

"We think it went alright, Alex said he thinks we're going to win so I'm hopeful." He gave his best confident smile trying to hide how anxious he was waiting for the judgment.

"How long is it until you find out who wins?"

"The judge said to give him up to a week, but I'm hoping it comes soon. I'm dying to find out what the results are going to be." Mallix wrapped his arm around his wife's waist.

Quietly they explained all the details to Nina who's nervous glare turned into one of hope. She knew they were going to win, everything seemed to be playing out nicely in their favor.

"I never even asked before but what was the hearing for? I mean Kaila's eighteen. What was the point?" Nina was struck by curiosity.

Mallix sighed loudly, "well we got a call from James telling us Kaila's parents were the ones who called her into the station. So we tried settling things with them without going to court, but then like most things it didn't go as we expected. They threa-" he stopped seeing a small hand on the office door.

"Can we go?" Kaila yawned out as she poked her head out of the office looking at the adults in the hall.

"Sure thing cutie," Lain walked over and lifted Kaila onto her hip as her body slumped into the woman's hold. She rested her down on Lain's chest listening to the soothing melody her heart played and the soft smell of her natural scent.

"Call me when your free, I want to hear the end of that and the results, ok?" Nina whispered to Mallix while he nodded and went over to his wife and little girl.

After saying their goodbyes to the mocha beauty, Lain strapped Kaila down into her car seat as they made their way back home.

The drive home was quiet, the blissful sound of the kitten snores from the back seat was enough. Lain and Mallix interlocked their fingers as they cruised home taking in the breathtaking sights of the city.

Once they got home Mallix slipped Kaila out of her day clothes and into some pajamas as he placed her down in her crib, winding the mobile and letting her lullaby play as he left.

Inside his room he found Lain already done with the shower, sitting and reading a book on their bed.

"Done already? That was fast." She put it down as Mallix slipped out of his attire and into some sweats for the night.

"I think I'm just getting the hang of it," he laughed kissing his wife's lips before pulling away to see her looking at him lovingly.

"Today's changed our lives for the better, soon Kaila will be ours, and we'll finally have the family we've always wanted." The smile on Lain's face was indescribable as she got situated on the bed snuggling close to her husbands toned chest.

"Only a week to find out the results." He sighed letting the information sink in, "we need to go and do something. Something fun as a family. That way time can move faster and a week won't feel like a year."

"Like what?" Lain looked up meeting his crystallized oceanic orbs as they stared back at her.

"How about we go to a resort, only for a few days but it'll give us more time to get closer to Kaila. Besides we've got to get back to work soon, so this would be a good way to end our time off." He wrapped his arm around her neck pulling her even closer.

"Kaila's going to love a resort. I'll do some research tomorrow." Lain began before trailing off into sleep.

Mallix chuckled quietly to himself kissing her head as he shut his eyes letting the stressful day he's had come to an end.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Both Lain and Mallix shout up from their bed hearing their girl sobbing out for them.

They ran from their room, down the hall to Kaila's nursery seeing the front of her onesie soaking well from all her tears that fell as she was standing on her mattress holding a tight grip onto the bars.

Mallix turned her light on and carefully dropped the bars as she melted in his arms. Lain has run out of the room the sound of the slamming of the baby gate against a wall echoed loudly as her footsteps trailed away.

"Hey what's wrong precious, what's got you so sad?" He held her tightly on his hip bouncing her gently as he continued saying sweet calmings into her ear.

As her cries softened he sat down in the rocking chair laying her across his lap, as he rocked them at a steady rate.

Lain was huffing as she appeared again in the room, this time with a bottle of milk in one hand and a child's book in the other.

Looking over at the clock Mallix could see it was only three in the morning. "Here" Lain handed him the bottle.

He eased the soft tip up to her lips but she turned her head, hiding into his bare chest. Her tears trickled down his skin soaking the trim of his sweats.

"It's only a bottle honey, come on it can help calm you down." His voice was so soothing and gently that she was mesmerized and hadn't even noticed he brought her head out of his chest and the bottle was now past her lips.

A light suckle later and soon Kaila was gulping down the entire bottle greedily. Needless to say it wasn't long before she had drunk all the contents. Mallix lifted her up so she was laying with her back against his chest and she faced Lain who was sat on her knees in front of her.

Mallix lightly rubbed his hands over Kaila's tummy as she laid her head back resting as a pacifier soon popped into her mouth.

In front Lain was already beginning to read Kaila the storybook. She gestured and mocked the characters as they went on their dangerous journey to solve the mystery of a dangerous man out for money.

"...you've given me a family, and something I've always wanted to have—love...I love you guys more than anything this world has to offer...will you make me the happiest man alive, and say you'll marry me?" She over exaggerated the ending as she gestured and made funny faces throughout.

Mallix looked at her unimpressed meanwhile Kaila was blinking slowly at her on the verge of sleep again.

"That was such a drawn out story, you couldn't have picked anything nicer?" Mallix whispered to Lain.

They finished tucking Kaila back into her crib before going back to their room. "Did you really have to make the ending seem so dramatic?"

"What, I think that's how it should be." She went to repeat the last lines of the book, using an over the top princely voice, "will you marry me?"

Turning around she threw her arm over her eyes and forehead awing at the moment using a high pitched squeal, "yes!"

She bursted into laughter as she laid in bed besides Mallix. "Sounds like the way you proposed to me." They chuckled a little reminiscing the sweet memory Mallix down on one knee.

"Did Kaila say why she was crying?" Lain asked settling from her laughs.

"I wasn't going to bug her for it while she was like that, we can just talk to her in the morning about it." Mallix responded before they were both off again into dreamland.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off