Chapter 50: Home Is Where The Heart Lies

The hearing was in a day and to say the couple weren't nervous would be a lie. They had prepared everything imaginable and reviewed their argument time and time again. They were the very definition of prepared.

But the idea of losing Kaila to people who don't even care about her is what was worrying them the most. There was no way they would let anyone as rotten as they were take their little girl away from them.

After Nina left back to her condo, the small family had been stuck home prepping for the day they make Kaila theres. They made sure to keep a close eye on her injured head despite the fact that the cut was nearly completely healed at this point.

Needing a break from the house the family decided to go for a hiking adventure. They packed the car up with all their things and made their way to a nearby trail surrounded by scenery.

Kaila was squealing with excitement as Mallix pulled her out of her car seat setting her eager feet onto the ground. Lain helped her put a small backpack on with her supplies while the couple carried their own. Each taking one of Kaila's small hands in their own they walked through the parking lot and onto the trail.

The chilling breeze of the wind was enough to satisfy them against the raging sun. Kaila was happily skipping a few feet ahead on the pebble path while the couple were locked at the hand following behind her. "Look!" Kaila pointed to a deer out by the sea of trees that surrounded the entire area. But her loud squeal scared the animal off resulting a pout.

"Don't be so sad precious, next time just don't get too loud when we see an animal. It's not safe." Mallix said taking her hand in his free one as they all stayed together. A few miles up the mountain they noticed Kaila was now trailing behind them at an increasingly slow rate.

They chuckled to themselves stopping to allow Kaila to catch up with them. "Keep up please Kaila, we don't need you getting lost with all the scary monsters around." Lain made a scary face and had claw for hands.

"Monsters!" She jumped squeezing her way in between the couple as they laughed.

"Mhm monsters, so if you don't want them getting you then stay with us. We'll protect you precious," Mallix and Lain both grabbed hold of her hands laughing to themselves.

"This isn't a laughing matter! The monsters are scary!" Kaila whined tugging at their hands.

Slowly their laughter came to an end. "Ok ok we're sorry cutie," Lain smiled playfully at her husband who was looking at her with a friendly smirk.

"This is your fault for bringing the 'monsters' into this," Mallix winked over before looking down at Kaila.

They continued playing the rest of the way up the hill until finally coming to a stop at a waterfall. "This is breathtaking," Lain stood at the edge of the earth watching the twinkling water droplets fall.

"Kaila!" Lain turned around seeing Kaila darting it her way and Mallix shouting for her from behind.

"Mommy!" the little girl giggled hiding behind Lain holding on tightly to her waist.

"What is going on?" Lain's asked confused.

"I told this silly girl not to get too close to the edge in case she fell." Mallix grabbed her out from behind Lain tossing her over his shouter carefully as she giggled harder.

"Come on bunny we can watch the waterfall from a safe distance." He turned around until they were far enough back when he put her down and tightly held onto her hand that slipped away last time.

"But mommy gets to watch from the edge!" Her face got red as she puffed her cheeks out.

"Well mommy won't fall, but my silly girl might. That's why we stay far back so that doesn't happen." He chuckled patting her back.

Meanwhile Lain closed her eyes listening to all the nature around her. The crashing of the waves where the waterfall met the stream, the bird chirping as they flew through the fresh air, and all the little creatures around them filling the spaces in between.

Finally making it to the top of the trail they looked down admiring the view of the city. Everything looked miniature like an ant would be able to live in them. The different lights and buildings all reflecting at them.

"Here precious," Mallix gave Kaila a set of binoculars he had in his bag. "What do you see?"

She giggled eagerly placing the lenses of the tool up to her eyes looking outward at the city. Looking around she saw the buildings clearer. She circled around the city in a matter of seconds seeing places she could recognize. "There's the mall!" She pointed to her perspective of it.

Lain chuckled and rolled her eyes, 'of course if there's going to be one place she can spot out first it's going to be the mall...that's my girl.'

"Very good baby, what else?" He put his hand on her back.

"...my...my old house," her voice got weak and she didn't move. Instead the couple just got closer to her. She leant into their hold feeling the love they had for her.

"Exactly as it should be Kaila, your old house. One that you had to live alone at, one where you struggled, and one you could never call home." Her hold on Kaila tightened. "But would you like to see the most amazing view of them all?" Lain's asked brining the binoculars down from Kaila's eyes.

She nodded handing them over as Lain looked through finding a place before handing them back. "Look over there," she pointed into the distance.

Kaila focused on the point seeing a large house surrounded by stone walls with trees decorating the entire property. The house itself was painted in the purest of whites with black lining. The building had a mixture of modern and Victorian era architecture to it. "What's that Kaila?" Mallix asked grabbing his wife's hand behind their little girls back.

"Home," her voice cracked and she felt herself giving into a stray tear that streaked her cheek. Outside the binoculars Lain and Mallix looked at one another smiling bigger than they ever could've imagined. Lain was trying to hold back her own tears of joy, while Mallix closed his eyes savoring this moment.

"That's right baby, that's home." Lain collapsed embracing Kaila and Mallix. "Our home."

They all remained silent. It was this moment that sealed Lain's and Mallix's hearts. They were ready to give Kaila anything and everything her heart desired and show her all the love and care in the world. But this moment, they knew that nothing was going to come in their way and break their family apart. They were determined and ready for the hearing before, but now they felt as if they had all the motivation right in front of them...well really right below them sniffling in their hug.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off