Chapter 26: Road Trip

As the irritable noise of an alarm went off, Lain grunted turning to face Mallix as she snuggled close to his body. He wrapped his arm around her waist as the other half of him found its way to the bedside table turning the alarm off.

"Come on babe, we should get ready before waking up Kaila." He groggily said moving to stand up. His body was still sleepy and his movements were slow.

Scowling at the clock in the room Lain managed to get out of her comfortable position and sat up on the bed.

Together they tiredly made their way into the bathroom getting their long day ahead of them started. It didn't take long for Mallix to finish, all he had needed to do was shower, wash up, and comb back his long dark brown hair.

Meanwhile as Lain took her turn into the shower he went downstairs packing a small bag of things needed for their long trip. Inside he packed a handful of pacifiers, toys, and other necessities.

As soon as he finished packing it and made his way back to their room where he found Lain already dressed, putting the final touch of her mascara on.

Having been up for half an hour now, Mallix was feeling more awake. Seeing the final product he whistled over to his wife coming in behind her wrapping both his arms around her waist. She was standing in front of her vanity, and together they swayed looking at each other's eyes.

Only until they kissed did they move from their position. Now was the time they were nervous for, they were about to bring their small baby into the large world they lived in.

Lain looked nervous at him as they stopped outside her nursery door, peaking her head in allowed her to hear Kaila's small snores.

Giving a gentle nudge, Mallix pushed the door open walking and in they went. Mallix dropped the gate while Lain stopped the mobile that was playing its sound fully sweet tunes.

"Kaila..." he rubbed small circles on her tummy, "precious can you open those pretty little eyes for me." He whispered down as she started squirming around and was mumbling something inaudible.

"What was that sweet girl, I didn't quite hear you?" He bend down his head lower to her, positioning his ear a few inches away from her.

"It early!" She annoyingly mumbled just loud enough for Mallix to be able to make out the words she was saying.

"Oh I know baby, but Lain and I have some work we need to do today."

He watched sadly as she started whimpering and holding her arms out to him. But he pushed through giving her a sweet smile before lifting her up into his embrace. "What work?" She asked on the verge of tears.

Lain looked over at them sympathetically, she began cleaning the nursery as Mallix sat Kaila down on his lap as he sat in the rocking chair. "Well you already know that Lain there is a designer, and I'm an author. But we've been on the down low for a while now, since we took off to try and help you settle in, and now...our rates have gone down. So," he dragged out standing up again bouncing his small girl around, "we are all taking a trip to a news station. Doesn't that sound fun?"

Kaila was caught on by the word fun. Her tired brain wasn't fully aware yet, and she simply believed it was going to be a fun trip they were going to be on. So she nodded her head happily before laying it back down on Mallix's shoulder as her eyes fluttered back shut.

He continued to sway her letting her fall back asleep. "Well just pack her a change of clothes. Let's get going before we're late to the station."

Lain nodded before going through Kaila's drawers and picked out an outfit that they could change her into later.

Downstairs she was pleasant to see Mallix already had strapped Kaila down into her car seat with a warm fluffy blanket covering her tiny body, and Mr. Tuffy tucked snuggled in next to her.

"I got the bag already, did you get her a set of clothes for when we get there?" He asked looking down into the bag doing a check oblivious to the outfit she held in her hand. As soon as he looked up she smiled handing it over to him. Taking the cute outfit he put it into the bag.

"I'm going to pack us something for breakfast really fast babe, could you run upstairs and grab my coat. I left it on our bed." She smiled sweetly at him as she pulled out bread and turkey.

Mallix nodded before disappearing up the stairs. Within the short minute or two he was away, his wife had managed to pack up three cut up sandwiches with some fruit.

"Wow your fast!" He was shocked to see her packing them away into a lunchbox.

She laughed, "practice I suppose for if Kaila ever needed something right away." She shrugged before grabbing her husbands hand and walking out of the house towards the garage.

They locked their door and activated their alarm system before starting their long drive. They had taken a black minivan with dark tinted windows allowing them their own privacy with a large aisle space for them to get to Kaila.

The small girl was out cold for the first hour and a half of the ride. Almost to their destination the tired girl started stirring awake letting the sunlight wake her up.

"Good morning baby, I bet someone was sleepy." Mallix looked back through the rear view mirror. Before Kaila could even get out a word her tummy grumbled loudly at the duo.

Lain smiled before unbuckling her seatbelt and moving to sit next to Kaila in the back. Mallix carefully drove as his unbuckled wife climbed over the arm rest that separated them.

She plopped down in the set besides Kaila while digging through their bag pulling out a small bag of fruit. "Here baby, have some nummies. There'll be actual food when we get to the event, but this should hold you for now." She held the baggie off fruits to the small girl but she only whined.

Lain playfully rolled her eyes, "you lazy girl" she started hand feeding the baby her fruits. Nibble after nibble and eventually the baggie was empty.

"Good job baby!" They both praised, "here you go," Lain handed Kaila her pacifier.

The girl was only using them for a while now but she had to admit the comfort the soft texture of the object gave her was something she couldn't do without.

Lain pressed a kiss on her head before moving back into the front with Mallix. In the backseat the happy couple could hear their baby girl laughing and talking about nonsense with the bear in her lap.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off