Chapter 82: Girly Gossip

"No don't talk to me I'm going to bed." The squad got home, and Nina irritatedly walked away up the stairs not being able to handle the teasing any longer.

"She sure is in a chipper mood." Lain side eyed her putting Kaila down on the floor as she took off after Nina, "we were only joking when we told her to take him out on a date. Why'd she have to get so defensive over it?"

"Just let her be babe. I just want to know who this mystery man is," Mallix chuckled putting the leftovers on the kitchen counter.

"Me too, she hasn't told us much detail other than the fact that he's persuasive." The tall woman put her hand to her chin trying to recall any other useful information.

"She'll tell us eventually, for now I'm going to go back to writing the last chapter for my book. Tomorrow, first thing in the morning I'm taking the documents over to the court to make it official." He smiled kissing his wife before leaving up to his office.

Back to the old days where he'd shut the doors leaving him to be surrounded by his soundproof walls and ideas. He'd spent many late nights stuck here with writers block, and many nights where he flourished with ideas. But right now there were too many ideas all bouncing in his head he had to start writing or else he'd lose them.

Meanwhile as he sat in isolation, typing away at his computer, Lain was standing outside Nina's room. Inside she could hear her and Kaila whispering about something.

Putting her ear to the door she began to listen in, "...dinner after the meeting. But you can't tell mommy or daddy about this, alright? I'm trusting you with my secret Kaila, this stays between us."

There was a gap of silence before Nina continued speaking, "thank you for letting me get that off my chest. Now what do you say you go play."

"Yeah!" Kaila squealed, outside Lain could hear the springs of the bed move and quickly she tried to back away from the door. Before she had time to hide away into a separate room Nina's door swung open.

The two women met one another's gaze. Nina put her hands on her hip while Kaila could be heard giggling behind her. "How long were you listening to our conversation?"

"I wasn't listening to your conversation...I was just...just looking for Kaila. Come on baby, it's time for your bath." Lain stretches her arm out to the small girl hiding behind Nina's figure.

Happily she stepped out and took hold of Lain's hand, the two of them beginning to walk away from Nina's room and towards the bathroom.

For now Lain shook her head getting back to her main task at hand, cleaning her little girl. There was a mess where her pasta had spilt down onto her outfit, trying her best not to make the stain bigger Lain carefully removed her top and helped Kaila into the warm tub.

It had been a while since it was just the two of them all alone. As Lain began to wash Kaila's hair she could tell there was something on her mind. She hadn't said a word after getting some play time with bubbles.

"Everything alright honey?" She turned Kaila around looking her in the eyes. Her face was wet already but she could see the difference between the shower droplets and tears.

She hummed in agreement before Lain stopped washing her body and brought Kaila's chin up to meet her eyes. "What is it?" She asked again.

This time the tears became clearer as more started to spill out. "Th-thank you." Kaila cried.

"For what sweetheart?" Lain leant in closer using water to wash away the soap nearly dripping into Kaila's eyes.

"For taking me in...for giving me a home...for trying to protect me. A-and...for lo-loving me." Finally clicking in place, Lain looked seeing those were tears of joy. A small smile appearing on Kaila's face, her wet and sudsy arms extended.

Not wanting to say no, Lain cringed as the small arms wrapped around her and soaked her shirt. The cold water dripping down her body.

Pulling out of the hug, Lain pressed a loving kiss onto Kaila's cheek. Their moment lasted the entire rest of the time Lain helped Kaila finish up in the bath.

Stepping out Kaila was skipping around Lain dancing as they held hands. "Alright cutie, go play with your toys before bed. I'm going to go and talk to Aunty Nina for a bit."

"Where's daddy?" She tilted her head like a lost puppy dog.

"He's in the middle of work right now."

"Can he play with me?" She innocently asked wanting someone to keep her company.

Lain's eyes saddened looking down, "no I'm sorry baby, he needs to finish something up. I'm sure though when he's done he'll be up here to play with you."

Kaila hung her head down nodding before running off to play in her room. Taking a breathe of disappointment, Lain walked over to Nina's room knocking on the door.

"Come in," twisting the handle Lain crept inside seeing Nina was sitting on the bed texting someone.

Lain smiled crossing her arms and raising her eyebrow cockily. "Don't even." Nina started irritatedly texting on her phone rolling her eyes before looking up at Lain.

The tall woman in the doorway laughed uncrossing her arms, "fine...fine, I just wanted to tell you Mallix is going to the courthouse tomorrow to file the paperwork for Kaila."

"That's great L, I'm glad things are finally turning around for you two." Nina looked back towards her phone and giggled before shuffling her fingers around her keyboard.

"And, also..." she shut her door and jumped next to Nina on her bed. "Come on and tell me something about him. You're killing me!"

Placing her phone face down next to her, Nina smiled reminiscing the countless nights the two of them had spend gossiping over boys during their sleepovers.

She pursed her lips debating before seeing Lain's excited face staring back at her, "well...he's sweet and he's got a great job and kind..." she started.

Lain sat like a child criss crosses listening intently to her friend. An hour they talked, Nina spilling out details like a teen finding her first love.

They were laughing up a storm when they heard a knock on the door. "Come in," Nina called out seeing Mallix opening the door with Kaila by his side.

"Go on," he pushed her in.

She ran over to the women and hugged them tightly kissing their cheeks, "nighty night" she smiled jumping back over to Mallix.

"I'm going to put her to bed now and then get back to my book." He smiled shutting the door leaving them to continue their long night of teen fun.
——————————————————————————
Let me know who you think Nina's crushing on. Think you know him? Thanks Lexx signing off