Chapter 20: Shattered and Broken

"OUT NOW!" They yelled, shattering glass scared the poor thing as she seen a family picture of them get smashed on the floor. She was in tears, the small girl had already knew this was going to happen.

Running upstairs to her room she grabbed her backpack off her bed before running down out to the front door. She had packed her bag prior knowing she didn't want to stay longer than she needed to.

"DON'T EVER COME BACK!" Her father yelled out to her as she started walking in the cold rain. It wasn't long before her mother poked her head out from inside the house fuming with anger as she carried one of the chairs from inside the house out.

Kaila's head dropped as she managed to duck from the chair being thrown at her. Her cries were hidden under the loud thunderstorm going on. The only thing that was heard was a loud slam.

She watched through the front window of the house, her parents arguing back and forth with each other in the center room of the house. 'This is all my fault' she cried to herself before turning away and starting her walk to nowhere.

Up until this evening Kaila's life had been perfect. She surrounded herself with friends, her family was supportive, and she was top of her class. But after some rumor outer her to her parents her whole world flipped.

In her mind she knew they weren't the most open minded, but she thought that if she just tried and hoped they'd understand she'd be alright. Shameless to say that was terrible wrong.

She decided to open herself to everyone around her finally wanting to be freed. Finally wanting to not be isolated within herself.

But that led to her falling. Her parents threw her out, her so called "friends" all left her the second her family cut her off their riches, and all she had now was the little clothes she had packed and a few spare change she managed to scrape off the floor.

Using a phone booth, she called up her only true friend at the time who stood by her side the entire time. The ringing was endless, until finally the static cut.

K: L-Lauren... (her voice was shaky both from how scared and cold she was)

L: Kay! What's wrong?!

K: I did it (she sniffled) I told them

L: Oh I'm sorry Kay

K: I knew they'd react like this, it's my fault

L: Hey it is not your fault, where are you?

K: I'm at Elwood Park, they kicked me out Laur! I knew they were probably going to yell and tell me to leave for a while, but not that they'd kicked me out forever! (She broke down into hysterics)

L: Kay breathe, ok, take some deep breathes. I'm coming to get you. Stay on the phone with me, I'll be there in less than twenty. Everything's going to be fine, you can stay with me til we sort things through.

K: t-thanks Laur

L: Of course Kay, I'm starting the car now I'll be there shortly.

Another twenty long minutes of huddled away into a phone booth in the center of a park area, Kaila finally saw lights driving up the road.

She sighed seeing the car pull up besides her. Before she could even jump in, Lauren rushed out of the car and up to the small girl holding her in a hug.

She helped take Kaila's bag and threw it into the back while she made sure Kaila was situated. As she hoped into the drivers seat again, she reached into the back taking a towel and handing it to her.

Kaila wrapped herself in it and slowly let herself warm back up. She was calming down as her friend held on tightly to her arm scared to let go.

"Your alright Kay, we're going back to my place." Lauren reassured as the small girl tensed up seeing her old home in the distance.

When she settled back down, it wasn't long before the girls were talking about earlier events. Kaila ended up staying with Lauren for over a year as she got herself together. Within that time, Kaila had found a job at a local cafe as a waitress. She wasn't making much but it was more than what she had.

After a few years together, Kaila was finally able to afford her own apartment. Her first real step to fixing her broken life. It had been about five years since she was thrown out trash to her parents before she had turned her life back around.

She was happy, over the years at the cafe she began meeting more people. Two of which were a happy couple who regularly showed up at the same time in the same place at the cafe daily. It wasn't long before the three of them had become close friends.

Everything was running just fine, Kaila was making enough to just about survive off of, her friend Lauren and new friends Alia and Rose made her feel welcomed, and she was starting to decorate her place as her own.

She struggled to make do but was still able to get by, that was until the day two saviors entered her life in the most peculiar of ways.

The small girl was fast asleep in her crib after Lain had managed to get her down to bed. The duo were across the hall in their room talking amongst themselves when they heard screaming over the baby monitor and from down the hall.

Jumping up out of their places in bed, the ran over to Kaila's nursery seeing the small girl curled into a small ball under her sheets sobbing.

"Hey, baby wake up for me please." Lain's lifted her up out of the crib after they dropped the gate and held her close to her chest.

Slowly Kaila woke up nuzzling her way deep into Lain's neck trying to find some comfort. Mallix was rubbing her back and saying reassuring things into her ear as Lain carried the small girl into their room.

It was only twelve in the morning and they needed Kaila to go back to sleep. Fearing if she wasn't going to be able to sleep in her own room, they laid her down on their bed, sandwiching her.

They each wrapped an arm around the small girl kissing her head as they helped her fall back asleep. They worrily looked up at each other terrified with what was going on in Kaila's mind. But that was a conversation for tomorrow.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off