Chapter 7: Learn To Listen

For a moment, just for a split moment she thought her genious idea was working. She had made her way out of the bland room back into the main area with toys everywhere, and with no one in sight she took a breathe to collect herself.

She took a step and that's when she made the worst mistake she could've yet.

Squeak!

The loud noise echoed throughout the entire room. Kaila jumped slightly looking down seeing a stuffed rabbit under her foot.

She panicked and looked around frantically seeing if Mallix was coming back. And it didn't take her long to hear two sets of footsteps coming up the stairs.

Not wanting to get her cover blown she ran as fast and as quietly as she could back into the scary room and sat in the resented chair.

And not a moment too soon, Mallix and Lain both appeared in the doorway of the room. Both with an unimpressed look on their face.

Kaila just looked up at them innocently, she couldn't let them knew she was trying to escape.

Mallix pointed his finger up, following his hand Kaila's eyes wandered up over the doorway where she saw something. A camera.

'They have cameras! How did I miss that?!'

"We figured you wouldn't take well to your first punishment so we made sure to keep our eyes closely on you. But I will say I'm very disappointed in you Kaila, I was really hoping we had a big girl on our hands who could take a punishment. But instead you've only proved out point further that your just a little baby girl. You only lasted five minutes cutie...five minutes of timeout before you tried to get away again." Lain said with her arms crossed leaning onto the wall.

As much as that hurt Kaila she knew she had to stand up for herself. Literally and figuratively. Standing back up from the chair she looked up at them, "you can't tell me what to do! I'm not a child! Go find someone else and let me leave!"

Her little body tried to shove its way past the two giants that blocked the door but as expected she couldn't pass.

Mallix sighed rubbing his temples, "Kaila we just want what's best for you. And we truly believe that you staying here with us and letting us help make your life easier is what's best for you."

"No, that's what's best for you! What's best for me is being able to leave and go home back to my family, my friends, my job, my life! Now move!" She whined again trying her luck with the human barricade. Her attitude was changing fast, and the couple watched as she was working herself up. She kept whining and started tearing again.

After a few minutes of unsuccessfully passing them, she just fell to the floor whining over her failed attempts flaring her limbs around.

Both Lain and Mallix looked at each other secretly furrowing their eyebrows feeling bad for their baby. They didn't want her being so sad, but they also knew they couldn't let her go. Not after all the hardships they went to prepare for her arrival, plus, they loved her with all their hearts. Even if she didn't know it yet.

Gently Lain bent down and grabbed Kaila under her arms lifting her up and into her hip. Only this time Kaila was both too tired and too overwhelmed with emotions to fully comprehend all that was going on.

Together they all made their way back up to the top floor of the house. Back in the duplicate room, Kaila looked around crying even harder to herself.

She couldn't help herself, inside Kaila was having her own internal battle. Her mind wanted so badly to throw on a strong face and waltz out of here, but her body just wasn't letting her. Instead it kept betraying her.

Lain had placed Kaila with her tummy down onto the soft mattress of the crib. Mallix started up a mobile hanging on top over the crib. The small item had little goats twirling around to a soft melody.

The entire time he was setting that up Lain had been rubbing little circles over Kaila's back trying to help her calm down.

But that only upset the small girl even more, her mind kept telling her to move, but she just felt so nice. And that's what was upsetting her.

How could two people she doesn't even know make her feel so warm inside?

Eventually her body got to overloaded and needed to shut down and recharge itself. Lain had a smile on her face as she placed a kiss to the girls temple.

Mallix joined her side as he placed a kiss onto her head as well before lifting up the bars to the crib. He stood back with his wife, arm wrapped around her waist as she laid her head down on his shoulder.

"She's going to be ok babe, we just need to give her time to adjust." Mallix reassured.

Lain looked up at him hopefully that he was right, she really wanted things to work out with Kaila.

It wasn't long before their lips were latched to each other. Their love for one another was strong. Pulling apart they took one final look at their baby girl before making sure the baby monitor in the room was on before leaving.

They both headed into their own room, only a few doors down, not wanting to be far from the baby in case she woke up sooner than they expected.

They knew it was going to be an adjustment for all of them, but they weren't prepared for the emotional roller coaster this little girl had given them the past few hours they got to know her.

Quietly both Lain and Mallix were trying to unwind as they worked on their own individual projects. Mallix was working on his newest novel, and Lain was finishing up on final details about her unveiling to her new summer line.

They both enjoyed the type of work they did, and often found themselves working on them for fun. But as work got easier to manage and they had more time on their hands, they knew they wanted to start a family. And with Lain's condition, they knew Kaila was going to be the perfect addition to the family.

It had felt like hours had gone by and Lain looked concerned at Mallix.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

"It's almost eight, I thought the baby would be up by six to have dinner, a bathe, and maybe some play time before bed. But this is late, we'll probably only get to do two. I'm going to go wake her up. Do you think you could go downstairs and whip her up some of your amazing cooking?" She batted her eyes.

He chuckled, "of course" he kissed her lips before disappearing downstairs.

Making her way into the baby's room she saw a still Kaila making little snoring noises.

Turning the light on did nothing, the sound of dropping the gates on the crib did nothing, and Lain gently shaking and talking to her didn't work.

"Noted she's a hard sleeper." Lain chuckled before shaking Kaila awake with a little more force and talking to her.

She didn't get any words but she did get a grumble and whiny baby who tried to hide back under her sheets.

"Good morning sweets, come on nap times over. Let's go get some food into that little tummy of yours. I'm sure it's very hungry by now." Lain picked the girl up with ease. Her sleepy body laying limp in the taller girls grip.
———————————————————————
Let me know what you thought about Kaila's internal struggles. Thanks Lexx signing off