Chapter 48: Sneaky Ears

The movie had ended and neither Mallix, Lain, or Nina returned and Kaila was getting bored watching the end credits run down the screen.

For a while she ended up playing with the few toys they had on the bottom floor trying to entertain herself, but the more she thought about why nobody was with her the slower time seemed to get.

Curiously she stood up walking around finding the bottom floor empty. So she got to the stairs surprisingly finding the gate wide open. Quietly she began to ascend the flight of stairs hearing mumbled noises on the second floor.

To her misfortune, the gate to this floor was shut. Not really wanting to go back downstairs and be bored out of her mind again, she sat on the steps trying to listen in to their conversation.

She couldn't see them from the gate and their office doors were both shut, so she assumed that's where they decided to hide out.

It was hard to make out anything they were saying, it all seemed like mumbles and whispers that were gibberish. She closed her eyes tightly trying to tone into the words, and soon they all began to get clearer to a point where she could hear them.

"...and that's how we got into that mess." Lain was talking with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"Oh so that's how you guys found Kaila. No wonder you didn't want to tell my at the restaurant, you two are insane!" Nina shouted making it easier to hear. "But that makes sense where you guys went. I was getting worried, I knew you guys wouldn't take as long as you did to go to the store for a 'few things'...wait did it work?!"

"Insane is a strong word Nina. Sheesh. But as far we know it worked, James said he'd call us if he got any word that it didn't. So, for the time being we can forget about the whole incident and hope that it doesn't go south." She could hear Mallix explain.

"Your going to tell Kaila," Nina sounded not as if she were asking the couple, but telling them.

There was a long pause in the conversation before she heard Mallix nervously respond. "Eventually, but right now Kaila's still getting comfortable around us entirely and I don't want to mess this up. We'll tell her about the court hearing after it's passed and how we won it."

"What you guys can't be serious?! L, really?"

"Sorry N, but I don't want Kaila at the hearing when her monsters for parents are going to be there as well. Could you please, maybe, you know watch her that day while Mallix and I go?"

Even being all the way across the room on the stairs Kaila could hear Nina grunting before turning to soft cheers of excitement. "Of course I'll watch her that day. You guys can drop her off at the boutique and she can help me there."

"Thank you," both Lain and Mallix greatfully said before another long pause.

'Wait...what?! Court hearing?! My parents?! What is going on? There talking about what happened at the station aren't they. I...I got them in trouble! It's my fault mommy was carrying me when the jerk snapped a picture of us! I was the one who didn't try and contact the people who really cared for me and told them I was ok! How could I be so blind! If I had only called them and told them not to worry about me then nobody would've called the station! I want to be there when they face them! No! I need to be there when they face them! This is my problem, I should be the one to fix it!' Kaila was getting herself so worked up in my mind, she hadn't even noticed the little stream making its way down her cheek. But she was determined, there was no way she was going to let Lain and Mallix fight her battle for her.

But out of everything she found out today, one thing boggled her mind the most. 'Why do my parents even care where I am, or what I'm doing with myself? They didn't seem all care when they made me homeless and broke!'

The small stream running down her face had only grown until her eyes became red and her eyes began to swell. But she was wary and kept quiet not wanting the others to know she was here.

After hearing the creaking of the office doors opening Kaila jumped from her seat making a dash for it down the stairs. Before she could get all the way to the bottom a very angry Mallix yelled, "no running!" Which only startled the small girl causing her to trip over a step hitting her head forcefully against the gate landing hard in the floor.

She broke into sobs grabbing hold of her aching head rocking herself as she faintly heard the sound of footsteps quickly approaching her.

"Oh my god! She's bleeding! Babe go get me a wash cloth, a bucket of hot water, and bandages! N go get me a bottle please of warm milk!" In an instant they nodded running off to grab the desired items.

Meanwhile Lain cradled her poor baby on the floor removing her hands from her head seeing blood stained them. She made a sympathetic face seeing the small gash on top of her head.

Lain tried to move some of Kaila's hair to get a better look but it only made her baby whine out in pain. "I know sweetie, but you've got to let mommy look and make sure your ok."

"S'op! Hu't" she yelled tugging at Lain's arm, leaving behind the outline of a bloody handprint. It caused the taller woman to cringe seeing the stain left behind as she brought Kaila's hands down to her side.

While Lain began to search through her scalp for the cut it hurt the her to ignore her baby's cries as she finished examining her head.

Pulling Kaila tighter, Mallix and Nina both appeared to Lain with the items. Mallix carefully drenched the cloth in the warm water and began to clean away some of the blood from her head.

"Owwy! S'op!" Kaila persisited and kicked her legs trying to get away as Lain tightly held her little arms close to her chest as she embraced the small girl.

"Just a little more baby," Mallix continued to wash away while Lain gestured for the bottle from Nina. Putting up to Kaila's lips she whined thrashing her head around trying to get out of this uncomfortable hold.

"Shh calm down Kaila, daddy's almost done." Lain gently held Kaila's head in place against her chest allowing Mallix to finish.

Nina bent down besides Kaila and began poking at her sides trying to distract her from the pain, which seemingly worked as the small girl's wretched cries softened and occasionally she'd crack a smile.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off