Chapter 90: The Art of Secrecy

"Look at this cake! It looks delicious." Nina held the menu up showing off a chocolate volcano of ice cream.

"How about we talk about food later. I'm starving as it is N, I don't want to have to think about food until I have mines in front of me." Mallix laughed.

"Actually cake sounds great right now," James flagged down their waiter right before he could enter the kitchen, "can we get two of these please."

Nodding in agreement the waiter said, "would you like that now or later."

One look at Nina's face and James was quick to answer, "now." Taking his leave the waiter went back to get their requested dessert.

The small group spent the next ten minutes it took to bring the cake out making small talk between one another. As soon as the cakes showed up at the table James and Nina were quickly drawn to it.

Meanwhile Mallix noticed besides him his wife had been sitting silent the entire time. Wrapping his arm around hers and grabbing hold of her hand he gave her a soft smile, "everything alright?"

"Yeah." She replied in a simple matter, not able to hide the very apparent discomfort in the voice.

"Can you guys excuse us please, something about Kaila came up." Mallix blurted our stepping out of the booth taking Lain's hand and leading them out of the restaurant.

"What's going on babe, I know it's weird and all with James around but come on, try and have some fun." He encouraged seeing her roll her eyes irritatedly.

"It's not just the fact that James is here, it's everything! He doesn't deserve Nina, and yet here she is putting her whole heart forwards to him. I know he's your brother babe, but even you have to admit that James is nothing but a snake."

He sighed seeing her getting worked up about the situation, grabbing securely onto her arms he held her close to him. "James can be a snake but this just doesn't seem like him. I can tell he's really trying to make a change here, and if Nina wants to see how things will go then I'm going to support her. Stop living in the past and let that go babe."

"What if he hurts her? Remember how deviated she got after the last time this happened. I'm trying to support her, but how can I when she's dating the boy who filled your backpack with water just to irritate you and make you blow up in front of a crowd. Or how he used to purposely trip Nina just to laugh at how she yelped. Or...or how he used to call me-"

He pulled her in for a tight hug making sure her mouth was covered by his chest. "Stop, don't bring that up. What he did was wrong and it seems like he knows that now. Besides we all know what he said isn't true."

She stepped back from his hold wiping away at the lose mascara on her face from a few tears that escaped.

Dragging Lain over to a window, he looked in finding Nina and James laughing and feeding one another spoonfuls of the sweet treat. "See look. There having fun in there, meanwhile you and I are out here. Let's go join them." He held his hand out hopeful to his wife that stood looking longingly at them.

"Fine." She let out softly taking his hand following him inside.

"Was Kaila alright?" Nina asked concerned for the little girl.

"Yeah, she's doing just fine. It was a false alarm." Mallix smiled letting Lain slide into the booth before taking his seat again. "You were right N, the cake looks so good."

"Your lucky you guys got back when you did, we were debating on eating yours too." James laughed.

"That is true, I'm debating on ordering us a second." Nina looked longingly at the cake.

"Don't order another, we still haven't even had our main course yet. N, you know how filling our actual meals are going to be." Lain finally decided to join in on the conversation.

Not only had Mallix noticed Lain's discomfort, but it was clear to James and Nina. Seeing her come back with some enthusiasm in her voice was a great sign for them.

The rest of the night they continued talking, this time everyone was involved in the conversation and having a good time. As soon as their food arrived it only heightened the antics more. Everyone was now laughing and smiling as they chowed down on their meals.

After paying for their food, everyone got into the car and began driving home. They still had another hour or so left before Kaila had to be picked up from the Davenport's.

Checking her phone to see how Kaila was doing Lain saw messages all over her lock screen that Hellen had sent to her. All of which were pictures. In one Kaila and Bri were in the middle of a movie snuggled up under a blanket while Tera and Rae were behind them getting ready to scare them, in another Kaila was proudly holding up a work of art she had managed to construct, and a picture of the girls playing on a massive play set outside. But one she was not expecting to receive was getting an image of all four girls sitting in a hospital room.

The last one was quick to catch Lain's attention, Kaila was sat on top of the bed with tears still lingering on her cheeks but a large smile on her red face with ice cream besides her.

"Babe, Kaila's in the hospital!" She exclaimed to her husband out of pure shock.

"WHAT!" The entire car shouted in unison at Lain's comment. Before she knew it everyone was spewing different questions at her that she didn't have the answers to yet. She tried calling Hellen but got no response.

The rest of the short ride home Lain was constantly calling Hellen trying to reach her. It wasn't long before the group got home and while Nina and James got out of the car getting a hospital bag packed, Mallix and Lain stayed put.

After coming to the conclusion that Hellen wouldn't answer, she began ringing John. It only took one ring before he answered his phone much to her relief.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off