Chapter 35: Work Day

The bright morning sun shone down waking up a tired Lain. She moved around the bed finding the space next to her, where her husband should be laying, empty. She groaned internally wanting some quality time with him, before getting up and hearing noises coming from the nursery.

Inside she found Mallix on the verge of sleep cradling a trembling little girl in his arms, while feeding her a bottle. "What's going on in here?" Her groggy morning voice was deep.

"She was...," his eyes closed briefly as his head began dropping before he snapped his head up, "...she was crying earlier...won't say why...now it's bottle time" he muttered out half asleep before his head starting drifting down again.

Lain chuckled before pulling the bottle from his hands, and shushed when her little girl whined at the lost. "One moment baby, lets let daddy go back to sleep cutie. He has some work he needs to do later. Now come on, come to mommy." Lain was loving being able to call herself this. She had been waiting for the day she'd be able to.

Kaila nodded as she made grabby hands for the tall woman who bent down and gently lifted her up off Mallix's lap and onto her hip. Kaila instantly got herself comfortable and laid her head down on the woman's chest.

"Babe go sleep I've got this." Slowly and with tired movement Mallix made his way up off the rocking chair and gave each of his girls kisses before slowly walking out.

Lain took a seat laying Kaila out over her lap, as she continued to feed the small girl the rest of her bottle. Instead of trying to bombard the clearly uneasy little one with questions, Lain sat there holding the bottle up to her mouth, rocking them slowly, while humming along to the melody that her mobile was still playing.

After a comfortable five minutes like this, Kaila was upset to find that the bottle had emptied itself. And was whining when Lain removed the empty bottle from her mouth and put it down on the table next to her.

Lain began to rub circles over Kaila's tummy as she rocked. "What's wrong cutie? Why won't you go back to sleep?" She asked when she noticed the little girl kept fighting back her tired eyes.

But the poor thing was too exhausted to even make sense of the situation. Her eyes glistened as she stared up curiously at Lain's features. She reached up using two fingers to feel the tall woman's strong jawline.

Lain just chuckled seeing how adorable she was. "Are you just going to stare at me and not say anything?" She cooed down.

When Kaila still didn't respond, and instead was touching Lain's nose now, the woman lifted her up and onto her hip. "No, your not going to tell me anything. Your just a little baby aren't you?" She noted from Kaila's behaviors.

She went down one floor with Kaila, making sure the baby gates were securely shut. Instead of leaving Kaila in the main area to play, Lain grabbed a soft cube off the floor and carried it with them into her office.

Kaila hadn't even noticed before but in the back corner of her room, Lain had a small automated swing chair, fit for Kaila perfectly. The woman placed the small girl in the seat before buckling her down securely. Before Kaila had a chance to whine, Lain handed her the cube.

Curiously Kaila accepted it and gave it a shake. When she heard the little rattle noise from within it, she began to shake it again and again. Lain looked down smiling at her, "oh that's going to get annoying" she muttered to herself at the constant rattle noises.

Lain turned away letting Kaila enjoy the relaxing motion of the swing as she began sketching new clothes in her sketchbook. Her new line would be releasing soon and she wanted to get a head start at beginning her next line.

Halfway through a rough sketch of one of the new designs, Lain could hear light snores coming from her baby's direction. She chuckled before leaving momentarily to grab a blanket. Once she returned she draped the soft fabric over Kaila.

Going back to work, Lain realized something very important. She stared at her workspace looking for materials, digging through her designs, and all while being extremely quiet.

She had gotten to work measuring, stitching, sewing, and more. She was busy all morning as Kaila slept in. It was clear now to Lain that Kaila hadn't slept much. If she had she wouldn't have been asleep this long.

"Babe!" Lain's could hear Mallix yelling down the staircase. She quickly tensed up and ran out wanting to answer him before he could yell again and wake up Kaila.

"Yeah, what is it?" She yelled back softer but still loud enough for him to hear.

"Where are you guys?" He yelled back softer as his footsteps grew louder. It was only a matter of seconds before he was coming into the baby gate on the same floor. "What are you doing down here so early? Where's Kaila?"

"She's in my office sleeping, and I'm working on a Christmas present for her." She wiggles her eyebrows excitedly.

"What's the present?" they began walking back towards the offices only this time, stepping into Mallix's. They could see Kaila still fast asleep so they continued in whispers.

"She told me she liked a design I scraped and I'd told her I'd make it. But we've been so busy with the interview I forgot, so now I'm going to get it done before the holiday."

He looked over his wife's shoulder seeing the small girl still fast asleep, "that's a great gift babe. She's going to love it. How far have you gotten?"

Lain giddily went to her side and grabbed the out of order blue, white, and black fabrics making the outline of a dress. Mallix laughed quietly, "she's going to look amazing in that."

Lain playfully slapped his arm, "it's not done yet. I've still got to work on sewing it together. Speaking of work, you need to get to work on the letters James needs. And I suggest doing it now before Kaila wakes up."

He threw his hands up, "fine you caught me. I'll get started on that right away." He smiled playfully her way only to turn into sending her a lustful glare and wiggling his eyebrows.

She rolled her eyes at his antics while putting the dress down. "Finish your work before Kaila wakes up, and maybe." She chuckled to herself seeing Mallix plop down on his office chair and began typing like a maniac.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off