Chapter 70: Broken Pieces

They arrived home after confronting the judge, shock was still coursing through their veins. Once they got out of the car and into the house, they were met with chaos. Their once neatly put together home was in disarray.

Decorations were scattered on the floor, furniture was moved, food and drinks were spilled over the floor, and to top it off all there were screams and shouts coming from upstairs.

They ran up the stairs peaking onto the second floor to see Kaila's play area trashed. Toys were thrown all over the place, paint and glitter were on the walls and floor, and if it wasn't for them locking their office doors they would have been in for a bigger treat.

Finally making it to the very top, the couple stopped on the top step when Nina fell on her back onto the floor in front of them. She had a mixture of blood, food, art, and water all over her clothes.

Her natural mocha glow was faded while she sat up coughing from her fall. "Fin-finally, you-your home." Mallix and Lain helped her up. "Go...you go...help Kaila. I can't do it." She gave up taking a seat on the steps.

Unlike the first two floors the surrounding walls and surfaces was still put together. The only room they weren't able to see into was Kaila's nursery. Her door was closed shut and loud sobs echoed through. Lain went to open her door but wasn't surprised to find it locked.

'Wait...she doesn't have a lock?!' Lain did a double take and twisted her handle again. This time realizing the knob turned but the door wouldn't move inwards. Something was on the other side keeping the door from being pushed open.

"Kaila open this door right now!" Mallix shouted moving Lain while he body slammed against the door. Whatever was on the other end was strong because even for Mallix the door barely budged.

"No!" She screamed back at them from the other side of the door, seconds later they heard a loud pounding on their walls.

"Kaila! Kaila open this door this instant!" Lain was furious. Today was long and exhausting enough, she didn't need anymore drama tonight. Not after finding out the terrible news the judge confessed.

"No! I'm not going back to them! I don't want to leave and go back to them!" She was in pain, her voice was scratchy and it was clear she had been crying for a while.

The couple paused in their moment of rage to take it in and finally understand what was going on with their little girl.

Rather than being intimidating anymore Lain tried a different approach. A softer one. "Kaila, baby, your not going anywhere ok. We are doing our very best to make sure of that. Why don't you clear your door for us honey, we can explain to you what's going to happen. But it would make mommy very happy if you let us talk to you face to face."

The instant Lain refered to herself as mommy Kaila couldn't help but feel bad. She was in her room sitting near her crib in a tight ball scared of leaving, but hearing Lain helped to take away some of the tension her body held.

Getting up slowly she hesitantly made her way to her door removing the rocking chair from the under the door handle. Once it was cleared she opened her door seeing both Lain and Mallix sigh in relief. But that quickly changed once they saw her status.

Kaila had sweat dripping down her face along with tears, her clothes were a mess, and she had blood on her knuckles. "Come on, let's go get you cleaned up again before we talk about anything." Mallix grabbed her hand walking away with her.

While Mallix assisted Kaila in another bath time, Lain sat besides Nina on the top of the stairs who stared at her in awe.

"How'd you do that?! I was trying for so long to get her to open her door and then you come for one second and boom! Out she is!"

"What can I say N, I've got a mommy's girl." Lain smirked seeing Nina return on over to her before she turned her eyes elsewhere feeling the nervous air between them starting to rise.

"About earlier and what I said," Nina began before Lain twisted her body so they faced one another and she put her hand up to silence her. Instead she pulled her in for a hug.

"It's ok, I'm sorry about overreacting. I know you were just looking out for Mallix and I." Nina wrapped around Lain returning the hug. "I know you were just trying to help. Are you sure you want to stay with us, your more than welcome to, but it's your choice. There's going to be a lot of drama and we have a lot of issues we need to fix. Your hands are going to be full."

"L, what are you talking about? Of course I would love to stay here. Just, help me with Kaila please. I thought I could manage her on my own, but that girl packs a punch more than she appears to be able to."

Lain laughed already knowing that statement was true. "Thanks N. What would I do without you. Can you help me clean some of this mess up please?" She stood walking away from Nina.

She nodded and the two women began to rearrange the house back to its former glory.

After Mallix finished and Kaila was now sitting in her play room tidying her small mess of toys up, he had began to help Lain and Nina clean up the rest of their home. It had been hours before they finished tidying up, and by the time they were done Kaila was fast asleep surrounded by her remaining toys.

They tucked her in her crib before leaving her room and meeting up in the hall. "So what news did you guys find out on your trip?" Nina asked wanting to get in on the action.

"Way to much to explain, and it's already late. Can we just talk about this tomorrow?" Lain's asked her softly.

"Yeah of course, you guys sleep well. I'll see you in the morning." Nina walked away into her room leaving the couple to their own company. They got cleaned up before getting under their sheets and letting this long day of treachery and betrayal final come to an end.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off