Chapter 65: At Your Service

To say the family's last day at the resort was ruined would be an understatement. Kaila was silent and still, Lain was a panicking mess, and Mallix didn't even remember how to breathe at moments.

They checked out of the resort and packed their bags into the taxi and we're on their way to the airport. On the way there, the taxi driver tried making small talk with them before quickly realizing that the sound of the classical music on the radio would be enough noise for the rest of the drive.

"Have a nice one," he announced before driving off leaving the family cold and exhausted in front of the airport doors. After getting themselves checked into it they all sat down together at a lounge waiting for their boarding time.

Nothing—not a sound nor a movement made an appearance the entire two hours they waited for their new flights. The chatter of the other passengers and crew walking by filled in the void of sound, but for as busy and crowded as it was it was almost as if it were abandoned.

The sound from everything wasn't registering in their heads and even the repeating sounds of the many plane engines wasn't enough to get them to say anything. Mallix and Lain were sitting besides one another holding each other's hands for dear life. Both looking over to Kaila who was laying down, with her back faced away from them on a couch across from them.

Once the time came to board their flight Mallix and Lain quietly walked over seeing Kaila had cried herself to sleep on the piece of furniture.

Lain was caught off guard feeling Mallix wipe a single stray tear off her cheek. She sent him a week smile before lifting Kaila off the couch and onto her hip over to the plane not giving a single glance to bypassers who were staring.

They boarded with no problem, getting themselves situated into their first class seats ready for their long flight back. They were thankful this plane was accustomed to three people per section. As always Lain and Mallix got the aisle and window seat, while Kaila got between them.

They strapped her in and threw a blanket over her letting her sleep for as long as she could. The tension was rising, as was the altitude the higher the plane got.

Finally building up the courage to do so, Mallix opened his mouth finding his voice timid and soft as he was reaching out to his wife. "Are you ok?"

Already knowing the answer, she shook her head, looking more like a beast of night stole the kind heart he fell in love with. "Are you?" The conversation was short and awkward with every moment of still air.

He nodded his head trying to look at least somewhat confident in himself, although he was crumbling apart not knowing what to do when they landed in a few hours. Kaila was still asleep in between them, and in a moment like this they weren't going to disrupt her. She needed this rest for the ride of emotions they were going to embark on soon.

"Have you called Alex?" Lain asked trying to at least get some kind of plan ready for when they landed.

Embarrassed of his shame, Mallix hid his face away from Lain shaking it side to side. His nerves got the better of him, both Nina and Alex had been trying to get in touch with him. But Mallix ignored every single one of their calls not being able to take in reality just yet.

Instead he was denying the inevitable. He was going to have to come face to face with the situation sooner or later, but right now, was not that time.

After the five hour flight back home, they finally touched the ground and Kaila was now wide awake playing with the tips of her fingers non stop. It was clear they had erased much of their progress with her. When Lain went to grab her hand to help her off the plane, in worry the small girl retaliated by silently pulling her hands to her chest staring at the floor the entire time.

Heartbroken and sad, they all stepped off the plane and grabbed their luggage before beginning their drive home. No one dared speak to one another, the very thought of having to break the tight air was chilling down to the bone.

The day lit sky was taunting them with its bright and shiny glow, while their car was being absorbed into the dark cloud building around itself.

Back at home they expected to find it empty as they left it, but was instead shocked to find their living room lights turned on. As well as one of their guest rooms on the top floor. No one was parked nearby or in their garage, whoever was here didn't drive.

Mallix parked the car and signaled for his family to stay put while he checked the house. The first floor was silent and empty, the only thing here was the sound of their flickering light. He carefully made his way through the set of baby gates in his way going up to the top floor.

The light in the hallway was off, but down the far end was the room had light seeping out of the bottom of the door. Behind he could hear creaking of the floorboard and things being thrown around the place.

As he walked towards the room, his home betrayed him. The floor boards squeaking underneath him causing all the sound from in the room to cease. He froze when he heard footsteps violently rushing towards the door, as it flew open he didn't even get a chance to see who it was.

Instead all he was met with was a warm hug and bright smile. "Nina..." he muttered out surprised when he peaked into the room seeing she was putting all her clothes into their guest bedroom, "...what are you doing here?"

She took a step back seeing he needed his space, "well there's going to be a lot of work you and Lain need to work on. Not only for Kaila but for yourselves as well, your going to need someone around to help. And my boutiques not going anywhere. My girls there know how to run it perfectly fine, they do it all the time when I go for a business trip. I'm here for you guys, just let me know what you'd like me to do."

She put her hand on his shoulder with a sweet look in her eyes. "Thanks," was all he could manage to mutter out.

"Where's the girls?" She looked down the stairs not hearing anyone else coming up.

"There outside in the car, I didn't want them coming inside until I knew who was here."

"It's not my fault someone doesn't answer my calls. I was trying to tell you sooner, but this works. I'll go help them inside, you look like you could use a shower." She pushed him out of her way, strutting her way down the steps.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off