Chapter 43: Sweet Treat

"May I have this dance?" Mallix bowed in front of Kaila offering his hand to her. She giggled curtsying before accepting his offer. Lain was sat on the couch enjoying the show as she played a sweet melodic song off her phone.

She watched as her husband took hold of Kaila's hands leading them as they waltzed their way throughout the living room, or at least tried to.

Kaila had stepped on Mallix's feet so many times he ended up lifting her off the ground and swaying her on his hip instead. Their baby was laughing and enjoying herself. "Mommy! Join us!" She shouted over to Lain who was slightly taken back.

She loved the new nickname and every time her baby said it her heart exploded. Getting up from the couch, Kaila wiggled her way out of Mallix's arms and they each took one another's hand making a big circle.

They spent the next ten minutes trying to figure out some way for them all to dance together while still looking graceful. And when they couldn't think of anyway, they gave up not caring about looking nice. Now they were all grooving at their own pace enjoying the dance party.

After another hour of mindless movements the happy family broke out of their party by a loud rumble from their baby's stomach. "Is someone getting hungry?" Lain's cooed down lifting Kaila onto her hip.

She shook her head placing her head down on the woman's shoulder. "Well now that's a shame, and I was just about to offer ice cream for brunch. But I mean, if your not hungry then I guess we won't ge-" Kaila's head shot up at ice cream.

"No! Mommy I'm hungry!" She said a little too loud with a pleading look in her eyes. Lain chuckled patting her little girls back.

"Inside voices cutie. How about you go tell daddy and I'll go grab my purse," she put Kaila down who instantly ran over to Mallix who was laying on the couch tired from the party.

Even on the second floor in her office, grabbing her purse, Lain could hear Kaila excitedly telling Mallix the plan. Before she could even shut the bottom floors baby gate Kaila was already making a dash for the garage.

"Walk Kaila!" Lain's shouted rolling her eyes playfully as she met up with Mallix in the kitchen who was packing a little bag. "Ready to go?"

"Just about," he quickly grabbed the last pacifier from the drying rack and packed it away neatly into the bag. "Now I'm ready."

They walked out together into the garage seeing Kaila bouncing around the place. Mallix laughed helping his eager bunny into her car seat, but was struggling to get her to calm down enough to buckle her in.

He reached into the bag he packed pulling out Mr. Tuffy holding it in front of his little girl getting her attention. She reached out for him, but pouted and whined as he pulled it away.

"Settle down for me precious and then you can have Mr. Tuffy." She nodded relaxing her body allowing Mallix to easily strap her down. He kissed the top of her head handing the soft toy over to her.

After getting in the small family made their way to a local ice cream parlor in town. The exterior was plastered with pastel colors and glowing fairy lights all around.

Kaila was squealing in the back seat kicking her legs around waiting for someone to let her out.

"Maybe ice cream wasn't the best option babe, she already looks like she's on a sugar rush." Mallix playfully said before helping Kaila out.

She tried to run straight away to the door but Mallix caught her wrist holding it tight. "Stay by me Kaila." She whined stomping her feet in place, "stop now. Don't make me put you back in the car and go straight home." He scolded only resulting in more whines.

It didn't help when Mallix tried prying Mr. Tuffy from her arms. Sighing he spoke, "he's going to get all messy if we bring him in. You'll get him back the second we finish eating." Giving in her grip loosened and she watched sadly as he was placed in the backseat of the car.

"Now let's go get some yummy ice cream." He celebrated shutting the car door and the two of them walked over to Lain who was waiting by the entrance. The second they opened the door the sweet smell filled their nose and the slight breeze sent chills up their bodies.

Before they got up to the counter Kaila was looking at all the flavors when she saw her favorite in the back corner behind all the other tubs. She tugged on Lain's shirt, "can I have the vanilla!"

"Of course honey," Lain laughed moving up to the register ordering their treats. As soon as she ordered Kaila's the woman behind the counter asked, "one or two scoops?"

Kaila was fast to respond, "two!" The woman behind the register curiously looked at Lain who was laughing, and in a softer voice spoke out to her, "just one please."

Nodding her head the woman set their order and Lain paid. They watched as their servings were being made before Mallix took off with Kaila to find a booth to sit at. While Lain waited at the counter for their treats to be served.

First came hers and Mallix's banana split that they were going to share, and soon after Kaila's scoop of vanilla ice cream in a cup was out.

Lain handed it to the small girl sitting across from Mallix and heard her whine. "I said two," she looked disappointedly at the cup placed in front of her.

"You don't need that much sugar cutie, now eat that before I give it away to someone else." Lain threatened as she sat next to the small girl placing the banana split in the middle of her and her husband.

Before they knew it Kaila was getting ice cream all over her face seemingly missing the only place that mattered.

Just as they were finishing up Kaila curious asked around the ice cream in her mouth, "what about the station? And the call?"

Lain and Mallix remained silent sharing a knowing smirk with one another, "don't worry about that right now precious. We've got that taken care of."

She tilted her head to the side prompting an explanation. But one never came instead the duo returned to their cold treat starting up a pleasant conversation.

'What are they hiding?' Kaila thought to herself placing another spoonful of ice cream into her mouth missing ever so slightly in the process.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off