Chapter 23: Early Gift

Sweating, terrified, and trembling the poor girl had awoken in the middle of the day. She started crying as an overwhelming sense of terror washed over her.

Seconds felt like an eternity. It wasn't until she felt two hands lift her up out of the crib did and put against a warm body did she start to feel better.

"Shh, your alright Kaila." Lain's voice lingered in her head as she bounced the small girl around. Over and over she repeated more sweet things into her ear until Kaila had calmed down.

"What's got you all riled up?" She took a seat on the floor holding Kaila tightly in her lap.

But the small girl was too terrified to say anything so she kept her mouth shut. After a long awkward silence Lain sighed heavily.

"Ok fine, Kaila can you at least promise me that whenever you do start feeling better you'll tell me what's been going on with you lately. Mallix and I have been worried sick wondering why our baby girl is all sad all the time." She looked Kaila straight in the eyes.

She whimpered and nearly started crying again before she managed to nod her head in the tall woman's lap.

However, she was stopped as Lain gave her one of the biggest smiles anyone has ever and lifted her up celebrating her small victory for now.

"So, Mallix went out while you were sleeping to go get some things, he won't be home for a while. Do you want to go play with your toys?"

"Y-yes" she mumbled standing on her own two feet. Lain took her hand securely in hers and led the small girl over to the room next door where a smaller play room was set up. Unlike the second floor that was clearly customized to be a massive play area, this one was more simple and didn't have nearly as many toys as downstairs did.

"What first?" Kaila asked looking to Lain for an answer.

She shrugged her shoulders, "why are you asking me cutie, it's your room. Go ahead and play with whatever you'd like." She encouraged.

Kaila nervously looked around the room trying to find something to play with as she fiddled with the edge of her fingertips.

Pointing over to a small board game, Lain smiled before walking over to set the game up. Soon the two of them were happily enjoying a fun evening together playing games from board games, to puzzles, and even card games.

"Uno! I win!" Kaila shouted happily slamming down her last card onto the center pile of the deck. Lain threw her head back grunting, "you only won because I let you win."

Kaila's once happy face turned cold as she widened her eyes, "baby, I'm only joking. You won that game completely on your own, I'm just teasing you." Lain rushed to comfort her before any water works could make their way out.

The small girl nodded before they heard the garage being opened. "Sounds like Mallix is home cutie. Let's go say hello." She lifted Kaila back into her lap before walking down the flight of stairs.

Once down they say Mallix with bags all over his arms, he clearly went out and had a fun shopping spree without them.

"What's in all the bags?" Lain raised an eyebrow questioning why he hadn't told her he was going to be buying this many things.

"A surprise for Kaila," he glanced her way with a smirk, "but I mean she can only have it if she's been a good girl."

Eager to know what the surprise was Kaila raised her hand high in the air, "I've been good!" She was shaking around trying to get down out of Lain's hold.

He paused for a brief moment looking at his wife, "has she?"

Lain could see the playful smirk growing across his face, "I don't know she was just pouty earlier when I was joking with her," Lain shot down putting her hands on her hips.

That only made the small girl whine as she looked between the two with pleaded puppy dog eyes. Neither of them were ever going to be able to not fall for that trick.

"Fine," Lain broke out of her stance, " she has been a very good girl. We have been having lots of fun playing games earlier, right cutie?"

Her face lit up again as she started babbling about her evening with Lain while Mallix stood silent listening to everything she said. To him even the most odd and little things she said to him, were a gift.

"I'm happy you had a fun time precious, say do you want to open an early Christmas present?" He held a bag out to her shaking it around gently.

"Yes!" She yelled excitedly before grabbing the bag. Opening it up she could see one thing in the bag. A white and gold teddy bear, with a pink shirt over it that said "baby".

She held it close to her chest, smelling in the sweet scent of roses from the bear. The sight was adorable to see. Lain walked over to a Mallix grabbing his hands and resting her head on his shoulder as Kaila was hugging the bear.

"Thank you!" She threw herself at Mallix giving him a massive bear hug around his lower torso.

He kissed the top of her head, "of course baby" he smiled down at her before she ran off into the living room couch, situated herself and began telling the bear all about her excited evening as she had just done to Mallix.

From their place they looked at each other lovingly, not only was their baby girl happy again, but she was enjoying herself.

"Did Kaila ever say what was wrong earlier?" Mallix questioned breaking the moment between them.

Lain shook her head, "but she did promise to tell us when she feels comfortable to. I don't know when that'll be, but if she's this happy right now then I'm happy. We'll be here to help her through it anytime."

He pressed a kiss on her lips, "of course we'll be here to help her. I hope she realized just how special she is to us."

Lain rested her head down on his shoulder as they just watched amused with Kaila over on the couch.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off