Chapter 16: Bonding

Finally Kaila had calmed down after some more reassurance from the couple that she was welcomed and loved here.

"Can we talk about the rules now cutie?" Lain asked looking down at the little girl who's head rested on her chest, an ear placed over her heart. She nodded.

"Ok good, can you look at me please precious?" He watched her turn her face around towards him before resting her head back on Lain's chest.

Mallix chuckled, "that'll do I guess. So you already know about your room and no climbing out of your crib, but that applies to all of your furniture. Like your changing table and high chair, no climbing off or out of them. You can wait for one of us to help you." He paused waiting for a response.

She nodded against Lain.

"Next, Lain and I won't hold you back from enjoying nights on your own, but if you decide to leave the house you let one of us know where your going, and with who. We don't want anything bad happening to you." Once again he paused.

She nodded again rubbing her eyes.

"Last major one, if we tell you something, you listen. We're only doing what we thinks best for you. It's as simple as that. And if we think of more or need to change any along the way then we'll do so. How do all those sound baby?" He'd seen Kaila nod, but that wasn't enough anymore.

"Words baby, use your words."

"T-they s-sound ok." She said blushing. Never would she have guessed she'd be here, laying in the arms of a strong beautiful woman in the presence of a confident handsome man letting them tell her what to do.

Before she knew it Lain pressed a soft kiss onto the girls cheek, sending the girl further into a bright shade of pink. "What's wrong cutie? Don't like my kisses?" Lain joked around.

Kaila hung her head down playing with her fingers once again. The duo looked at each other confused, "did I say something wrong Kaila?" Lain asked worried.

She shook her head but remained silent. The poor girls body language had dropped and Lain looked up sad at her husband as he stood up, "let's give Kaila some space babe, help me cook lunch?" He held his hand out to her.

Lain nodded moving to put Kaila down on the empty space next to her. She was sad to hear her whine upon being placed down on the cold seat.

"Do you want me to stay?" She asked hoping to provide the girl more comfort.

Kaila thought about the request, but she needed time. Time to collect herself and to reflect, so she shook her head sending the couple away to disappear into the nearby kitchen.

By the time the couple had prepared their lunch, Kaila had made her way into the kitchen seeing them plating their food. "Hey there cutie, want to help get the table set for me?"

She nodded feeling a lot happier and in a better mood. Going the direction Lain pointed to the drawer containing silverware, she opened it finding half the draw contained normal silver utensils. But on the other half were plastic ones each printed with different colorful characters or animals on it.

Kaila went in grabbing two sets of the normal utensils, but stood baffled at the third set she needed to get. Going back and forth she finally made up her mind, 'Lain and Mallix have already done so much for me. I want to take this further, I want to show them I want to be here to with them.' She reached in giggling to herself at a red spoon with elves all over it and a fork with Santa hats.

Walking over to the table she placed the duos utensils in their normal spots, one on either side of Kaila's high chair at the end of the table, and on her table top.

Lain and Mallix weren't long to follow her in, they put their plates down and seeing Kaila had grabbed her own little items they looked at each other holding in the adoration they had.

"Someone's a Christmas fan." Lain playfully turned around grabbing Kaila and setting her in her high chair.

The little girl nodded smiling wide, "it's always been my favorite. I love everything about it; mainly the music, the music's my favorite. I could listen to every song on a daily and never get enough of it. That and all the pretty lights. I used to walk around at night and look at the different lights the buildings had. My favorite was a house down from my place that always put up a big Santa blow-up with lights all over it." She went on and on about her admiration for the holiday season.

Both Lain and Mallix were intently listening learning as much about her as they could, "well if you want baby, we can go buy some festive stuff for your room and the house. Then we could all decorate together." Mallix offered.

"Yes! I wanna do that!" She blurted out too excited to contain herself, but quickly sunk into her seat. She didn't mean to say that loudly.

But to her dismay, the duo were just cracking up with laughter at her. "Don't be so scared baby, we can tell your just excited. You're not in trouble. Now go ahead and start eating cutie." Lain's went over seeing she hadn't touched her cut up pieces of turkey and mashed potatoes.

Their lunch contained more laughter, bonding, and not to mention laughter. The entire time they all found it hard to eat by the amount of time they spend gasping for air.

Once lunch was over and Kaila finished all her food on her plate with some persuasion, Mallix took her out sending her to go play as he went to help Lain clean up.

Kaila ran into the living room seeing nothing of interest. But she did remember that upstairs had a room full of activities and toys she could use.

Running over to the stairs, she forgot about the one thing that stood in her way. The baby gate. "Not again." She stomped her feet trying to unhook the latch on it. "Why's this got to be so complicated!" She complained.

"Because it makes sure little girls like you don't go sneaking somewhere they aren't suppose to." She was startled by a soft voice growing closer to her.

Turning around she saw Lain towering over her, "sorry" Kaila mumbled.

"It's alright Kaila, if you want to go to a different floor you've just got to tell us, we'll let you go." Lain's assured.

A smile once again surfacing on the girls face. "Thank you." She mumbled.

Lain ruffled her hand through the girls hair, opening the gate. They wakes up together and when Kaila stopped at the second floor looking excitedly at the toys Lain laughed opening the gate, and watching as a blur brushed past her to the toys.

"Eager much." Lain's playfully rolled her eyes before walking over to help her curious girl pick out something to do.

Eventually after much debating, they settled with a coloring book. They were nearly done with the page when Mallix walked into the room joining them.

"Hey babe" he kissed Lain before sitting down next to Kaila.

"I thought you were going to get some work done?"

"I was, but I thought of something better to do."

"What's that?" Kaila asked adding to their conversation.

"Well, since it's finally December, would you like to go to the store and look for some Christmas things?" He asked getting wide eyes and a smile in response. She nodded jumping into his arms repeating a string of yes's.

"I guess we'll finish coloring later." Lain chuckled to herself putting the book and crayons away. "Let's get going."
—————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off