Chapter 39: Worries

"W-will I...ever be able t-to s-see then a-again?" The small girl in Lain's lap asked looking up at her with the biggest of puppy eyes.

It broke the tall woman's heart to hear how heartbroken her little girl was. Of course she wanted to give her baby everything she could ever dream of, but a demand like this was something her and Mallix were going to have to think about.

"I'll talk to daddy about it cutie pie. No promises." She said to her baby's disliking. She was kicking her legs and whining out loud when the idea of never being able to see her friends again sunk in.

"Calm down Kaila, I said I would talk to daddy about it. It doesn't mean it's a no. We just need to talk things through and sort some stuff out." Lain reassured the small girl who had calmed down a tremendous amount after finding out she may be able to see them after all.

"Now don't you need to call one more person? You said you had two friends who may have called, and that one didn't. Do you want to call the other up now or wait and have some cuddle time with mommy first?" She stared down into her baby's innocent eyes. It was clear the couple were finally making progress and Kaila was slowly began to slip.

The small girl in her lap indeed wanted to call Lauren. It had been too long and the poor girl missed her. But she had grown very close to Lain with her time here, and right now being snuggled close to her mommy was all Kaila wanted.

"Cuddle" she said flat out moving even closer to Lain if that was even possible. The woman smiled picking her baby up and onto her hip before walking back upstairs into her room.

She eased her way onto the bed laying her tiny girl on top of her chest. Wrapping her arms securely around her baby's waist, Lain began to hum a sweet tune. The small girl laid her head in the middle of the woman's chest letting her ears be filled with a combination of Lain's steady heartbeat and the melody.

They laid together in comfortable silence for what felt like an hour before they could both hear Mallix calling out to them. "Babe in here!" Lain called out to him.

He smiled seeing how content his little girl was in his wife's arms. He laid down besides them wrapping his arm behind his wife pulling her and his baby close. "I just got off the phone with the station and they said the caller was anonymous. So, that was a dead end. And I tried calling James up to ask him stuff, but we had to cut it short cause of a meeting he had."

Lain sighed rolling her eyes, "he always has meetings. But, then I guess we're stuck with Kaila's plan then babe." She placed a kiss on Kaila's forehead.

The man besides her raised an eyebrow looking down, "what plan?"

"Earlier when you were on the phone with the station or James, I let Kaila call someone she thought was behind the call."

"And, so how did that turn out?! Did she find out who called in?!" He was hopeful and his eyes opened wide hoping for some good news.

When Lain shook her head he slumped back down, "Does she have anyone else she can call to as..." he paused for a few seconds looking around the room thinking hard, "wait...you said you let Kaila call people?!"

"I did" Lain confirmed confidently.

"Babe! Why! What if something happened?! Or if they were able to track the call?!" Mallix began raising his voice causing Kaila to stir in discomfort.

Lain began rubbing different patterns along Kaila's back, "would you lower your voice please?" She gestured down to Kaila who was making little whines. "I knew the risks babe, but what choice do we have right now! Kaila was only on the phone for like five minutes and I was listening the entire time. There's only one more person she needs to call."

Mallix grumbled before taking a few deep breathes, "fine. Let's just hope this all plays out well. Who else does she need to ca-" he began talking looking towards the window in their room that oversaw the entire estate before looking over to his wife who was staring at him. "What?"

Lain peeked down seeing Kaila contently playing with the tips of Lain's long dirty blond hair. "She asked a question earlier babe." The worry and distressed look on her face was enough to make Mallix worry again.

"What did she ask?"

"She..." Lain took a big breathe before going for it, "she wanted to know if she'll be able to see her friends again."

Mallix's eyes shot wide open and his jaw dropped slightly. He wanted Kaila here with them, and didn't want anyone to come in and jeopardize anything. When the small girl turned her head to look at him, he couldn't help but melt. Her eyes held the power to command them, it peered past their rationalization and straight towards their soul.

He shut his eyes looking away, "we'll talk about this later babe. For now, I say let's get some food into this little girls tummy and down for some play time."

"What about the second call?"

"She can do that later, for now I just want her taken care of. I mean look at the baby, babe." He was pointing out how gentle the little girl was being, it was clear they were going to have exactly what they wanted, a baby girl on their hands soon and he didn't want his baby talking to strangers.

Lain nodded in agreement. Together they got Kaila downstairs into her high chair and pushed her at the edge of the kitchen as they began prepping a late breakfast.

Their meal was a success, besides the small girl not wanting to eat on her own and Mallix having to hand feed the girl to get her to eat any of it. As soon as they wiped their baby clean, Mallix carried her up to the second floor while Lain followed closely behind. Now to finish what they started.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off