Chapter 38: Old Voice

"Who do you think would've said something?" Lain asked her mind was bouncing with curiosity.

"I t-think it may have been my friends, b-but I don't know who. It's between two of them, I j-just don't know which one, or if both could've done it." Kaila admitted as she played with her fingertips.

Lain could tell the small girl was getting anxious, "what is it cutie? Why are you getting all nervous about this?"

"Y-your not g-going to h-hurt them...are y-you?"

Lain's eyes went wide open, she wasn't expecting Kaila to ask such a question. She thought Kaila knew they loved her and would never think to hurt anyone around her. To be honest she felt hurt slightly.

"No, of course not Kaila. We never would've even thought to hurt them. We were simply going to have a talk with them, and see if things can be sorted out."

"C-can I call them? Please." The small girl asked quietly. She wanted to be the one to find out which one of them had been the one behind the call.

Lain was hesitant, she knew the little one had grown to like it here. The attachment between the trio were become unbreakable, but there was still that fear of having Kaila wanting to leave them.

She thought about it. The only thing that solidified her answer was her baby's eyes. They were looking up at her lovingly and she could see the innocence in them. There was nothing Lain had to fear, she trusted her baby girl.

Handing her phone over, Lain nodded smiling at the girl in her lap. "Thank you!" Kaila squealed excitedly grabbing it from Lain and running to the corner of the room.

Lain chuckled as she stood up and began cleaning the rest of Kaila's mess. Meanwhile in the corner of the room the small girl had decided to call up Rose first.

The line couldn't even ring once before the static disappeared and a very worried Rose answered the phone.

R: Hello? Who's this?

K: Rosie, hey it's me.

R: KAILA!! WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN?! I'VE BEEN CALLING YOU FOR DAYS! AND WHEN I WENT TO YOUR PLACE IT WAS EMPTY! YOUR DOOR WAS LEFT OPEN AND YOUR ROOM WAS TRASHED! ARE YOU OK?! DID SOMEONE HURT YOU?! ALIA, LAUREN, AND I HAVE BEEN WORRIED SICK ABOUT YOU!

K: Rosie I'm ok. I'm sorry I should've tried to call sooner. But I'm safe here, you don't have to worry about me anymore.

R: HERE? WAIT DID SOMETHING HAPPEN TO YOU?! DID SOMEONE KIDNAP YOU?! DO YOU NEED ME COME AND GET YOU?! IS THIS WHY YOUR NOT CALLING ME OFF YOUR PHONE!

K: No Rose stop, I'm good. I don't need you to come and get me. I just wanted to call to ask you something.

R: HOW ARE YOU BEING SO CALM? YOU'VE BEEN MISSING FOR A WEEK AND HAVEN'T EVEN CONTACTED ME! I'VE MISSED YOU!

K: I'm sorry, I know I should've tried to contact you sooner I've just been...busy. But, did you call a radio station within the past few days?

R: YEAH KAY YOU SHOULD'VE! I was really tempted to call the police because of how scared you made me! Alia was the only one who told me I shouldn't, Lauren was on my side. Alia was trying to convince me that you needed space or something.

K: Rosie I'm sorry. I know I messed up and I should have tried to call you sooner but I wasn't able to. But please I just need you to answer my question.

Kaila began to rush Rose as she turned around seeing Lain anxiously waiting for Kaila to be done with the phone. She waved over trying to encourage the taller woman to loosen up. Seeing Lain take a breathe and wave back, Kaila smiled before turning back to Rose.

K: It's really important Rose that you tell me.

R: What, Kaila, your scaring me. No, I didn't call a radio station. Now can you at least tell me why you needed me to answer that and where your at Kay? I've been dying over here, I need to know that your safe.

K: I...I d-don't think I can tell you.

R: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CANT TELL ME! What is going on Kay?! Please?!

K: Rose you know if I could I would, but please it's just better this way.

R: Better this way?! What is going on?!

Kaila could hear Rose's voice getting quieter and quieter. She was moving away from the phone yelling things out. After waiting for a few moments, she could hear Rose's heavy breathing getting closer to the line.

R: You know what Kay, you don't have to tell me anything. But just one thing...please.

K: What is it?

R: Promise me your safe. That'll at least put my mind at ease.

K: I promise you Rosie, I'm safe and I'm ok.

R: Thank you, now I can at least continue living without having to question what terrible thing happened to you. Can you call me again? Will we ever be able to hang out like old times?

K: I...I uh...I don't know Rosie. I hope so.

R: I guess there's not much else I can do about that. Just try please.

K: I will. But, I'm sorry I've got to go now. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to you again soon. Tell Alia, I said hi please.

R: Alright, stay safe Kay. I'll be sure to tell her. Bye.

K: Thanks. Bye.

Kaila didn't expect hearing the line end would hurt her as much as it did. She felt a wave of emotions rush over her as she stared at the blank screen in front of her. 'If Rosie reacted this way, what's Lauren going to say?!' The small girl began to worry. Sure she expected some panic but this just made her feel guilty.

Lain could see that Kaila had ended the call and eager to find out if she had found the culprit she made her way over to the small girl in the corner still. She gestured towards the phone and when Kaila shook her head, she also curled up her legs hiding her face in her knees.

"What's wrong?" She already knew the answer as she placed her hand on her baby's shoulder.

Tears were brewing and soon falling as she shook her head no again, this time moving to hide her face into Lain's chest. She felt the most comfort being near the tall woman. Lain wrapper her arms securely around her kissing the top of her head.

"Please tell me baby." Lain began to rock them in place while playing with her baby's hair.

After struggling to push past her tears Kaila was able to mumble out, "w-will I...ever be able t-to s-see then a-again?"
——————————————————————————
A/N: Thank you to everyone that's voted and made it up to this point. It's your guys dedication to read that's not only allowed Perfect Preperation to reach 10K views, but it's what keeps me motivated to write. I hope you all are enjoying the book so far. If you have any ideas or suggestions for the story let me know.

Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off