Chapter 94: Strange Encounter

Deciding to go back downstairs, Mallix and Lain saw Kaila sprawled out in the middle of Nina and James on the couch. "There you guys are." Nina smiled as they sat besides them. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah we're good, I just had a long business call that I needed to take care of." Mallix covered up as he walked away to grab himself some breakfast.

"Oh alright. Well anyways James and I were talking and were going to head out to the shops today to pick out some new things. Would you guys like to tag along?" Nina asked them.

"No thanks we actually have a lot on our han-" Lain began before Mallix returned with his food sitting besides her.

"No actually that sounds like a good idea, Kaila could use the change of pace. It's been a while since we've had a normal family outing." Lain was surprised to hear her husband respond such way.

"Alright then it's settled, there's a new mall two hour away that I've been dying to check out. Let's leave in say a half hour from now. That way she can finish up this movie." Nina smiled as Kaila leaned against her side.

With different plans in mind for the day, Lain knew she needed to be cautious of today. With everything going around she needed to be wary and alert at all times. Nothing was going to happen to them, especially not after they just won their little girl for themselves.

Once the movie had ended and the growing family packed into their car, Mallix drove them over to the mall. "It feels like forever since we've been out for something other than the hearings." He rolled his window down letting the fresh breezy air hit his face. Blowing his slick back hair all over the place.

While it was still a sour moment being brought out of the house with such terrible conditions going around, Lain had to admit she missed the slow pace of her normal life. Before the hearing, the betrayals, and the now sudden learning of a dark connection.

Their ride consisted a lot of talking, there was almost five different conversations all happening at once. Everyone was talking to everyone and noice filled the car quickly.

With so much commotion going on all at once they hadn't even noticed as time passed and they were already at the mall pulling into a stall.

Pulling Kaila out of her seat and holding tightly onto her small hand, Lain led Kaila towards the tall glass doors. The loud noises of the crowds passing by and the hundreds of stores filled with people all worried Lain. She didn't want Kaila freaking out over the amount of people she would encounter in such a place.

But she was pleasantly surprised to see Kaila smiling wide looking around with excited eyes. "Where to first?" James asked.

"Toys!" Kaila jumped in place, causing everyone around her to burst into an outburst of laughter.

"Not now, we can stop by if your good Kaila. How about instead we stop by the furniture store they have upstairs. I could use some new side tables." Lain stated instead.

With a small whimper Kaila nodded and they were all heading to the end of the mall containing the large furniture store. Walking around they searched for something that stuck out to them.

"How about this one L?" Nina pointed out to a small white circular table top with jewels hanging around the rim of the top.

Lain looked over with a twinkle in her eye, "yea-".

"No way!" Mallix interjected. "We aren't getting jeweled furniture for our room babe."

Rolling her eyes she looked at the beautiful piece of furniture, "fine," she crossed her arms done with her husband cutting her off for the day.

Continuing their hunt for another hour, the group came out empty handed. "Lets go look for clothes now!" Nina suggested looking around for any opposition.

"I was actually hoping we could go look for some new weights for my gym at home." James states to Nina's dismay. For a minute the small group all debated where to go. Mallix agreed with James, meanwhile Lain sided with Nina. All while Kaila was happily staring at her feet and funny pattens on the mall floor, not caring where she went.

Before any actual arguing over the two could be done Lain stepped up with another idea, "how about the guys go to look for gym equipment, and we'll go look for clothes. And let's say meet up in an hour or two?"

Nodding in agreement the two groups parted ways. Up to this point, Lain was keeping a keen eye on everything going on around them. But losing half of them to look elsewhere, she became even more on guard than before.

With the girls, Kaila was happily trying on different clothes both women suggested. It was outfit after outfit, and the never ending trips to the changing rooms. "Aw, this one for sure!" Nina smiled seeing Kaila walk out in an oversized kitten sweater.

"That's the seventeenth outfit you've picked for her, N." Lain laughed watched as she placed the new article of clothing into the cart.

"It sure is, oh, how about we check out that section now!" Before Lain could protest Nina was already pushing away from them.

"Let's go baby," she held her hand out for Kaila to take. But instead of simply grabbing it and following the excited women, Kaila whined falling to the floor like a drama queen.

"Kaila get up, let's go. Before we don't stop to look for a new toy afterwards." Even the threat wasn't enough to get Kaila to stand up. With eyes around them, Lain didn't want to have a tantrum begin in public. Getting down low to her height, Lain whispered sternly to Kaila, "get up now or you can take some time in the corner when we're home."

Shaking her head furiously, Lain lowly growled in annoyance. "Last chance Kaila, stand up." Her voice was harsh and firm.

But once again the bored and tired little girl refused to do so. Surprised by the moment, a woman placed her hand upon Lain's shoulder. Looking up she saw a woman in her mid to late thirties. "Everything alright over here?"

Checking for a name tag for proof of employment, Lain couldn't find one. Instead she resorted to yanking hard enough on Kaila's hand to stand her up. Positioning the small girl behind her back. Lain stood just under the woman's height as she answered carefully, "no thanks we're fine. Just found out some bad family news."

Trying to walk away from the woman who's hand was still rested upon Lain's shoulder, she realized the woman's grip tightened. "Can I help you?" Lain asked swiping her hand off her shoulder.

The woman looked at Lain with hatred in her eyes, and aggressively cleared her throat. "No not at all...just thought you could use the help." Seeing the obviously forced smile on her face, the woman walked away looking back at them.

"Hurry up Kaila we're leaving this place," she nervously sped walked with Kaila trailing behind as she called up everyone telling them to meet up at the front entrance of the mall immediately. The strange encounter set a trigger off in Lain's worried mind.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what your thinking so far. Thanks Lexx signing off