Chapter 54: The Hearing

Lain checked her phone putting it between Mallix and herself as they awed down at the picture of their little girl twirling around in the new dress and a crown to top it all off.

N: Now I have proof I'm the best Aunt, ha!

L: Your spoiling the living daybreak out of her

N: And do you see how happy she is compared to the sad mood you left her with earlier

Lain laughed for herself knowing she had a point. Before she even had a chance to reply another message appeared.

N: Did you guys make it yet?

L: Yeah were about to go inside

N: Good luck L, you two have got it in the bag

L: Thanks again for watching Kaila while we're out I  owe you one

N: Well two, the necklace was one, and also I like dinner you know

L: Fine dinner it is, we can talk more on the details after the hearing

Lain put her phone away looking up at Mallix who was staring at her like a wave of fear washed over him. Taking his bigger hand in her own she smiled at him, "we've got this babe."

Nodding he stood up tall and they walked through the doors checking in at the receptions desk who directed them to the office their private hearing would take place in.

In front of them was a large double door leading into the room that would forever change their lives. Easing their way into the room, they were greeted by many faces. The room went silent as they entered and shut the door behind them.

A judge in his mid sixties with his scarlet robe on was sat on one side of a large desk while to his left behind a table sat both of Kaila's parents.

Kaila had long wavy blond hair similar in texture to her mother who instead had shoulder length. Their facial features nearly being identical if it wasn't for the smug look her mother had on her face constantly. She was sat tall in her chair wearing a black business suit holding the hand of a man shorter and less lean than Mallix. He too wore a black suit with a blue handkerchief sticking out of his front pocket. Unlike the woman he was slouched with a look on his face that could only be described as drunk. His clean shaven head and stubble gave his appearance a more pruned look.

Sitting besides them on their side was a man average sized looking through a briefcase on top the table as he pulled out papers on end. His professional demeanor and readiness made them feel butterflies again.

They took their seats across from them, to the right of the judge. In similar fashion Lain held her head up high not letting the smirking woman in front of her get an advantage over her. Mallix followed in suit sitting with pride as he checked his watch.

Pulling a chair out next to them the couple were pleased to see their witness dressed in an orderly fashion with her head down getting death stares from both of Kaila's parents. "Mr. and Mrs. Colden, your attorney?" The judge asked seeing it was ten til their hearing.

Suddenly a hush of wind entered the room and standing by the door stood a cleanly shaven man with slick back brown hair in a grey suit holding tightly onto a leather case. "I'm here, sorry there was traffic."

He took a seat besides them getting himself organized Mallix leaned over his shoulder whispering into his ear, "thanks for doing this Alex."

"Not a problem Mallix, sorry about being late the misses wouldn't let me leave." He chuckled grabbing out all the proper documentations he needed and set them in front of them.

The two men proceeded to make small talk before the judge called out, "now that were all here let us begin. In the case of Rosemary and Kyle Micheals vs Lain and Mallix Colden, we will be discussing the guardianship of Kaila Micheals. As I have read through the file and reports the defendants have claimed that you, Mr. and Mrs. Micheals were not showing proper care and support for your daughter. What is your case?" He opened the floor to them.

Clearing her throat the woman began, "thank you your honor, Kaila was taken well care of by my husband and myself, we love our daughter deeply. My husband is a manager at a local bar and myself am a waitress, we know we can't give her everything, but we are able to provide for her and make sure she is happy." Lain has to focus hard on unclenching her fists not wanting to get violent, but the smug face she had and hint of sarcasm in her voice was making it difficult.

The judge raised his eyebrow and slowly looked over to Lain and Mallix's side letting them speak. "Your honor, our witness here was a friend of Kaila's growing up and can testify to the behavior her parents put the girl through." All eyes landed on the smaller girl besides Lain.

"Your name?" The judge asked.

"Lauren, your honor, Lauren Fendly."

"Alright Lauren, what is your take watching your friend here grow up?"

"Well...I would go over to Kaila's house all the time growing up and I never really noticed anything unusual. Until she started coming to school with bruises on her arms and legs...and sometimes her face. She would never tell me how she got them, but everyday she was terrified to leave school and go home. Then after her parents found out that she wasn't straight they kicked her out and she lived with me for years until Lain and Mallix took her in."

"And have you spoken with Ms. Kaila after Mr. and Mrs. Colden took her in?"

She nodded, "I have."

"Did she seem happy there?"

"Yes your honor she did."

She ended her part as the judge turned back around questioning her parents further into their behavior. It wasn't long before both attorneys were at each other's throats battling their side of the argument. It seemed like the three hours the meeting was held for lasted a month.

"I will send you an order describing my judgment in a week or less." He stood and left the room leaving the two parties to themselves.

Not long after the judge left Lain and Mallix scoffed leaving the room. Outside the four of them gathered together clearing their minds of the stressful event that went down.

"How do you think we did?" Lain was full of worry as she asked Alex.

"I think we're going to win, her parents weren't able to prove why she was living with Lauren for any other reason, and the video evidence of her hesitating to leave her school didn't help them. As far as your side of things, the documentation and statement from Lauren is going to go a long way an-" he paused pulling out his phone. "I'll message you later the details, I've got to run. My wife's about to cut my head off if I'm not home in twenty."

They shook Alex's hand waving him goodbye as he ushered his car out of the parking lot. The couple then looked towards Lauren who sunk with fear meeting their glares.

"Thank you for showing up," Lain said with a smile.

"Your going to keep your end of the deal now right?" She lowly asked crossing her arms.

Mallix annoyingly rolled his eyes as he nodded his head. Lauren gave them a fake smile before taking her leave.

Both Lain and Mallix savored this time together breathing in the smell of the air as they packed into their car beginning to go on a small date before going to pick up Kaila.
——————————————————————————
Let me know who you think is going to win. Thanks Lexx signing off