Chapter 14: Awkward Meeting

Breakfast was a success for the most part. Apart from some whining by Kaila every time someone passed their booth or when Mallix cut up her pancakes and sausage for her. They all had a nice meal.

After paying for their meal, Lain picked up Kaila from the chair and the family headed out the door. Unlike earlier Kaila was eager to get back into her car seat. She couldn't wait til she was out of view from people around them.

Lain laughed as Kaila tried buckling herself in. She got the straps right but Kaila had buckled herself in wrong, tangling all the straps in doing so.

"Here cutie let me help you," Lain unbuckled the mess and reorganized her seating arrangement. "All better" she smiled and kissed the top of Kaila's head as she shut the door and got in the car.

Mallix started the car engine once again but instead of driving home as Kaila though, they were going a different way.

"Here baby, it's a long way." Lain said handing Kaila a small stuffed bear from the backpack she had packed for her.

Kaila had to admit, she felt warm being taken care of and the teddy bear she was given had soft brown fur. She buried her head deep into the stuffie, smelling that it had the same scent Lain did.

"Cute..." Mallix cooed a little too loud catching Kaila's attention and making her blush before he covered it up with a cough.

"Where are we going?" Kaila asked after another twenty minutes of sitting in the car.

"Mallix and I have some business to take care of baby, but once we get these meetings over with we'll be free to have all our attention on you." Lain responded looking back and seeing Kaila's head laying against the window.

"How about a nap sweets, it looks like someone could use one." Mallix said looking through the rear view mirror.

But she shook her head, "I'm not tired." She insisted as her eyelids fluttered shut slowly.

Lain watched as the poor thing fell asleep in a matter of minutes despite fighting the urge. All that was left were the couple who were now free to talk amongst themselves.

"I can't believe she decided to stay with us babe." Lain squealed taking one last long look at Kaila before turning to face the front again.

"I know, and considering all she's doing well adjusting. I thought she would've taken longer to get used to us."

"I wish she would call me mommy already. I already know the day it happens I'm going to cry."

Mallix chuckled at his wife, "babe the day she says daddy is the day my heart will fail from an overload of joy. We just got to wait a little longer."

She sighed, "longer is too far away."

"Babe, we can't rush her. I don't want to scare her away." He looked over seeing Lain lean her head back into the chair in frustration. "Look she's already gotten used to the car seat babe, we're making progress. You can't expect her to be fully regressed on day two."

Lain took a deep breathe, "your right babe, I'm happy she's giving it a chance then. How much longer by the way?"

"Another thirty or so, we're meeting up with James to discuss the marketing and advertisement deals."

She growled softly, "babe you know how I feel about your brother."

"I know, but he's the best at this stuff and you know it. We just have to push past the incident last year ok. It should be fast, we're stopping by his place to talk and then we'll be able to go home and help Kaila adjust easier."