Chapter 92: The Dark Past

While Lain stayed back to keep Kaila company in the room, Mallix left to check her out of the hospital. Thankfully for him Kaila was in a stable enough condition to be released. Her time spent in the hospital with the Davenport's was long enough for her allergic reaction to blow over.

After a nurse assisted them in removing all the IV's from Kaila's body the couple were allowed to take Kaila home. Mallix carried her on his hip with Lain besides them. They confidently walked over to the elevator down to the lobby floor. Right as the doors were closing with them in it, a man with a business suit stuck his hand in reopening the doors.

"Sorry," he looked at them stepping into the corner of the elevator. Scooting over to one side they quietly waited listening to the typical elevator music. With the ding of the bell the doors opened. After having a standoff for a second on who was to move first the couple decided to step off. Mallix carried Kaila out and just as Lain brushed past the man in the corner she could see a name tag on his suit.

She tried reading it before she felt her attention drawn away from him and towards their little girl who began waking up in Mallix's arms. Moving to comfort her, she joined them rushing out to the car.

In their haze of panic and urgency, the couple had managed to buckle and settle Kaila into her car seat. All while being oblivious to the fact that the man who was riding down the elevator down with them now stood outside the hospital doors watching their every move.

They drove away as fast as they came, trying to let the darkness of night be their blanket of cover. But it wasn't of much help as the man quickly snapped a photo of their car, license plate in full display.

Back at home the couple were mentally exhausted. Carrying Kaila in, they began their night routine with the small girl. Getting her into a soft pink onesie with Mr. Tuffy tucked into her arms as they helped her into her crib. With the weight of the comforter rested on top of her she was out like a light.

They turned her mobile on and left the room after night time kisses. Outside her nursery they walked through the house finding James sitting with Nina worried sick in her room.

As soon as Nina met her friends eyes, she jumped up from her seat giving them each a hug. "What happened? You guys scared me the way you left so suddenly."

"Sorry about that, we just needed to get Kaila out of the hospital. She doesn't like being there by herself all scared." Mallix explained. During the car ride home, both him and his wife decided it'd be best to keep what they know to themselves.

"Really? Cause by the way you guys were panicking, you made it seem like it was way worst than just being afraid of the hospital." She asked pulling out of the hug as James joined her side.

"Really N, we just didn't want Kaila being in any more discomfort than she already was. That's why we wanted to bring her home so fast, now she can be comfortable and settled here at home." Lain forced a soft smile out to her friend across from her. "Knowing Kaila she'll probably wake up with a nightmare or something tonight because of being at the hospital, so if you guys don't mind we're going to head to bed now. James your more than welcome to stay if you'd like."

Nina completely lost track of their sudden panic earlier, instead being too drawn to the fact that Lain was trying to come around to James. "We've got another spare guess bedroom just up the hall to the left. We'll see you guys tomorrow." Mallix wrapped his arm around his wife's waist walking away to their room.

Inside they cleaned themselves and turned the lights off climbing into bed. However, instead of falling asleep as told they stayed up for hours on end discussing anything and everything they knew about the Cave.

"I'll call Alex tomorrow and see if he can dig up any more information on it." Mallix yawned mid sentence finally letting today's events and exhaustion get to him.

"How does Alex know so much about this stuff?" Lain snuggled into her husbands touch, letting him run his hand up and down her arm.

There was a second of hesitation and worry before Mallix turned to face his wife with all seriousness in his face. "Alex...we'll before he got himself cleaned up after high school...he used to supply the Cave with different chips containing information on businesses and what not."

"Alex? The man who's growing ranks as a top lawyer, used to smuggle information to the Cave!" She whispered a shout not wanting to alert anyone of their conversation.

Mallix nodded his head, "he likes to think it's why he does so well as a lawyer now. He knows the ins and outs of the system well and how to avoid them when he was dealing, and now that he's clean and moving on in life, he's using that knowledge for good and getting people like that off the streets."

"Good for him. Hopefully there's more useful information he has on the way it all works. That should get us a good idea of the Michaels and Fendly's status." She relaxed further into sleep letting her own wave of exhaustion hit her.

"He definitely knows more than what he briefly explained to me. Cause no matter what, nothing is happening to my family, I'll make sure of it." He held Lain closer to his body tighter than before.

"I still can't believe you kept something as serious as this from me, how long did you keep this to yourself?"

"Not long babe, maybe a week. I was curious as to why Lauren needed the money so I just asked Alex. I wasn't expecting what I came back to. Plus I knew you'd worry and I didn't want to tell you without all the facts first."

She smiled at her husbands reasoning, twisting her body so they were facing one another.

Before both of them knew it, their eye lids grew too heavy. Sleep came over sending them into their few hours of peace before tomorrow's drama consumed their time. And in the middle of everything going on, their desire to keep everyone else in the dark was going to be something they'd have to keep into consideration.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off