Chapter 73: Blackmail

"So..." Lain was at the edge of her seat eagerly awaiting for the news.

"Relax, it's nothing extreme. Well if you consider planning to blackmail you guys to pay them for Kaila back, then it is extreme." Nina spilled out.

Lain's eyebrow quirked up faster than ever before, her brown eyes were bulging out after finally realizing the motive. "They just wanted money! That's what this was all about! They took Mallix and I to court...threatened to take my little girl away from me...and went through all the trouble of bribing people off, just to make some money off of us! What was it even for anyways?!"

"They said they were running low on funds for their 'medicine' and needed a lot more to pay people off and to keep feeding their addiction." She used finger quotes midway into her statement.

It only made Lain more furious before she was able to let her anger out lash happen, Nina took a seat right besides her putting her hand on Lain's shoulder.

"And I may have, oh I dunno, recorded them saying so." She pulled out her phone to a recording. Lain pressed play and behold held her savior.

"They said we only had another month left to pay them off before they'd take our house, and once we saw Kaila on the radio station we knew there was a chance for us to fix our little problem." It was clear as day, it was Rosemary, Kaila's mother's voice. She sounded both tipsy and in a daze.

"Not even a little problem!" Kyle's voice was so close to the microphone of the phone it was blasting through Nina's speakers. "With the amount of money we'll be able to sue them for we'll never have to worry about paying for pills anymore!"

"Well you've both spoke of financial issues, but how does this tie back to Lauren?" A new voice Lain never heard of before. It was the perfect mixture of easy going yet strong and firm. It held the power to convince anyone to tell him anything.

"That b****, oh she's just a pawn in our game. Kaila never did have an easy time making friends on her own so we just slipped the girl some green at first and before we knew it the two were inseparable. Well as long as the payments kept flowing. Now she's just our spy for blackmail." Heart ache after heart ache, Lain's body was going to collapse with all the heat and pressure she was under.

"How dare she use Kaila like that! Like some money maker! They're sick! I'm done listening to them!" Lain stood you pacing around the room in frustration. "Was there even any more actual useful information in that recording?!"

"No, that was the last of it. But the point is now not only do we have dirt on them, but we also have the evidence we need to prove that they were terrible to Kaila." Nina smiled sending the recording to Lain's phone.

"Thanks N" the two women embraced one another. Nina pulled out looking around the house seeing it rather empty. "Where's Kaila and Mallix?"

"They're upstairs playing a game more than likely." Lain explained before breaking down to Nina that work was going to be another upcoming problem.

"Don't worry about having to worry about Kaila, I can manage her. Well I hope. After last time she just needs to know that she can't always get what she wants." Nina's eyes drifted away while Lain's locked onto hers laughing. "What?"

"Says the one who literally spoiled her with a diamond necklace for an introductory gift."

"Ok see I wanted to get her something special. I didn't know it would cause this much of a problem." She mumbled under her breathe, "but I'm still going to get her things."

"What was that N?"

"Nothing...now lets go up there with them. I could use the practice after all." Lain nodded and the two women made their way upstairs when they saw Kaila sitting in Mallix's lap as Aladdin played on the tv.

Her eyes were glued to it, and everytime a song came on she clapped her hands to the beat humming along to it.

Lain signaled Mallix over to her. Kaila was so focused on the movie she'd seen millions of times before, she hadn't even noticed that Mallix set her down in Nina's lap.

The tall beauty held onto Kaila securely between her legs, while she was tracing patterns up and down her arms. The way Kaila seemed to shrink into the woman's touch was enough to make this transition of being here for the poor girl worth it. Nobody in this house could resist the small girls antics.

As Nina was keeping Kaila company, Lain took Mallix's hand dragging him into their office before shutting both doors giving them their privacy. Inside she explained all the information and evidence Nina was able to uncover. His face was a mixture between pure joy and confusion.

"How did she manage to pull that off so fast?!" He had to take a seat in his chair to process everything.

Lain walked over to him taking a seat on one of his thighs, he grabbed her hip pulling her closer to him. "No idea, she wouldn't say who it was. Only that it was someone persuasive and owed her a favor."

"Doesn't sound sketchy at all." His voice was held in pure sarcasm. "I didn't know N had any other friends?" He laughed as did his wife at their inside joke.

"I didn't either but whoever this guy is, we owe him big time. This is going to help us get the advantage now." Lain smiles looking longingly into his deep blue eyes.

He leaned in letting their foreheads rest upon one another as their lips got closer. They hovered with only an inch between them. The warm air could be felt from them.

As they both began moving the extra inch to cross lips, their office door flung open with a sad Kaila in Nina's arms.

Lain pulled away, getting off of her husbands lap as he groaned quietly in annoyance. "She just wanted to make sure you guys didn't leave her." Nina explained before bouncing and patting the small girls back, taking her to finish the movie.

Lain turned around facing her husband smirking at the long face he had on. "I should've locked it." She laughed seeing his eyes agree with her.

"Why does this always seem to happen when we're here?" He asked annoyingly, standing up and shutting the office door again giving the couple their once again needed privacy.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off