Chapter 41: Deception

The excitement Kaila was omitting was contagious. The couple who were sat back beginning their own conversation were smiling at how pleased they had made their little girl.

Finally punching in the number, Kaila called out to Lauren. But was sad to get her voicemail. So she tried again, no response. The small girl was growing wary as she dialed the number for the third time and hit call.

Listening to the never ending cycle of rings, finally a voice on the other end of the phone echoed through.

K: Lauren! It's me!

The happy girl couldn't hold back how excited she was to be able to talk with her friend again.

L: I'm sorry, who?

That threw Kaila off, not only was this some guys voice on the other end, but it was someone she's never heard before. Kaila pulled her ear away checking to see if she had dialed the right number. She checked and double checked, confirming this was indeed Lauren's number, curiously she talked back.

K: Isn't this Lauren's phone?

L: Yeah this is Lauren's phone, who are you?

K: I...I'm Kaila, I'm a friend of Lauren's. Where is she?

L: She's busy at the moment, why don't you try another tim-.

From the other side of the line Kaila could hear Lauren's voice yelling out to whoever this was. "Give me back my phone Luke!" Her voice was soft but was still loud enough to make out. Finally after hearing a lot of static the line became clear again, now with Lauren on the other end.

L: Hello?

K: Hey Laur! It's me, Kaila!

She was expecting her to be rejoicing her return and a celebration to go off, but that wasn't what she was going to receive.

L: Oh, uh, hey. I...I uh didn't expect to hear from you.

K: W-what do you mean?

L: Well I mean you just disappeared, I thought you skipped town or something.

K: Did you try and reach out to me?

There was a long uncomfortable pause.

L: Of course...of course I did Kay.

Even without the shaking of her voice and hesitation, Kaila knew Lauren well enough to know that was a lie. The poor girl felt betrayed. Her best friend, the person she thought she could trust the most, didn't even care to try and look for her.

After coughing to clear her throat from the hesitation Lauren spoke again.

L: Yeah...so anyways how have you been Kay? Anything new going on with you?

K: Um, wha- yeah...yeah a lots new. Actually before I forget Laur I actually needed to ask you something about a radio station a few days ag-

From the other end of the line, Kaila could hear the same male voice calling out to Lauren repeatedly getting more irritated by the moment.

L: Hey uh, it's been nice talking to you Kay. Let's do it again sometime. I've got to go.

K: Wait before you go I just wanted to ask you something about a radio stat-

And with that the line ended. Kaila slowly brought the phone down and dropped her chin to her chest feeling tears surfacing. It was as if she were talking to a stranger. Someone who felt so distant and had no connection to.

Breaking out of their conversation by the small whimpers the couple ran over to Kaila and sat besides her. Lain took her phone away putting it back in her pocket as both of them tried offering the girl some comfort.

"What happened?" Mallix asked rubbing circles on Kaila's back. She just shook her head.

"I-I don't wanna talk about it." They could hear the distressed tone in her voice clearly. It showed the couple just how delicate she was right now, so they decided not to press on any further for now.

"How about we go out today, we can go to the mall, or the park, or the beach. Wherever you want baby." Lain tried to change the subject into something happier, but when Kaila shook her head again it was tearing the family apart.

"Can I be alone?" Kaila mumbled so soft that despite being so close to the small girl, neither of them were able to make out what their sensitive girl had said.

"Can you speak up please precious. We didn't quite catch that." Mallix and Lain both leaned down further as Kaila mumbled out again, "I want to be alone please."

She was on the verge of crying her heart out. They duo found it heartbreaking for them to nod and walk away. They had went upstairs being mindful and leaving the baby gates to the stairs open in case Kaila wanted to join them.

Now left with nothing but her own thoughts Kaila sunk down into her tears. She pulled her knees to her chest wrapping her arms around her legs and dropping her head to her knees.

So many emotions were spinning through her head. On one hand she was angry with Lauren, she thought the girl was suppose to be there for her and look out for her. She was expecting more of a reaction by the way Rose made Lauren out to be.

But on the other hand she was angry with herself. Kaila knew what Lauren was like, always running around looking for a guy, but she thought that friends came first. She was angry that she didn't see something like this coming, where Lauren turned her back on her for some guy.

After being alone for several hours crying to herself, the little one eventually found herself curled up in a ball in the corner of the room asleep. The worried couple walked down hand in hand upset with the sight in front of them.

"What do you think they were talking about?" Mallix asked lifting Kaila up off the floor and onto his hip. She whined causing him to bounce her around a little patting lightly on her bottom to calm her down.

"No idea, but clearly nothing good. I don't know this Lauren character, but what I do know is that I don't like her. Look what she did to my poor baby." Lain wiped away a stray tear falling down her little girls cheek.

Checking the time and seeing how late into the day it was the couple decided to quickly make some dinner and give the girl a fast bathe before putting her to sleep. But not in her crib, instead in bed with the couple. After the call they knew she could use the extra comfort tonight.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think about the call. Is Kaila in the right to feel betrayed by Lauren, or is it understandable for her to move on. Thanks Lexx signing off