Chapter 29: Quiet On Set

After they set Kaila down under a blanket with Mr. Tuffy in her lap and a plate of the sandwich Lain had prepared earlier on the couch, the couple walked out making sure to keep their door locked.

The only way anyone would be able to get into their room would be if they had the key that only the couple and James had.

Every step they took seemed to get heavier as if the chain on their ankles kept getting more weight added to it. "There you guys are. Please get your mics on and in position, we go live in three." A stage producer walked over to them and began pushing their backs slightly to hurry them.

They stood letting a group of other stage crew hook them up to their microphones that they placed on their clothes before getting in position behind the curtain.

"We're going live in five...four...three...two..." a loud intercom voice announced leaving it up to the sound and light crew to illuminate the stage.

"Hello everyone and welcome back to Limix, the only radio show that gets guest co-hosts who are upcoming talented artists. I'm Rodney Turner and this week we have two very special guest joining me today. She's an aspiring fashionista and he's an inspirational writer. Ladies and gentlemen please put your hands together for Lain and Mallix Colden!" The host of the show announced sending the couple out from the curtains.

In front of them was a large studio set that had a live audience sitting in. The set had Rodney behind a podium in the center with two guest seats on either side of the podium.

Lain and Mallix waved to the crowd as they cheered loud, and they took their seats on both sides of Rodney.

Inside their dressing room Kaila was nibbling on her sandwich as she watched closely on the interview through the monitor. Without even thinking she began to clap her hands cheering as the couple waved directly at the camera.

Behind the roaring cheers of the audience the host began the interview. Things were going well and normal for the first segment. Nothing out of the ordinary. So as their first break came up, Lain decided to take the first shift.

"I'll be back, I'm going to go...freshen up." She whispered to the host before making her way off stage and to their dressing room.

Unlocking the door she was glad to find Kaila still in the same place they left her with a quarter of her sandwich gone.

"Hey there cutie, miss me?" She announced as the small girl jumped from her seat and ran up to Lain giving her a koala hug.

Lain lifted her up off the ground and onto her lap as she sat on the couch. "What did you think?"

Kaila nodded her head excitedly, "it was good!"

"Where you paying attention the whole time?" Lain chuckled shocked that Kaila had actually found interest in the interview.

When she nodded her head Lain held her close to her chest kissing the top of her head. They sat in comfortable silence before a disrupting knock broke their moment.

"Ok cutie, I've got to go back for the next portion of the interview. Next break Mallix is going to come and check on you alright?" She sat Kaila down in her place. "And finish more of that sandwich please baby. I'll see you later."

She was sad waving goodbye and closing the door again. Time was short but she enjoyed every lasting second of it.

Lain got back to the set just in time. The next portion of the interview they noticed was focused on their individual projects.

Lain dropped hints and told her inspiration of her new line coming out in upcoming months, while Mallix explained the origins for the newest plot of his newest book soon to be released.

Finally the second break came about and Mallix was out of there faster than he could excuse himself. Inside their dressing room he saw Kaila laying down on the couch with her plate of a half eaten sandwich on the floor. She was curled up under her blanket and as expected Mr. Tuffy was besides her.

For the few minutes they had together, Mallix cradled Kaila in his lap helping her fall asleep. He watched her sleeping peacefully, breathing in heavily as he let the moment sink in. As much as he hated it, he laid Kaila back down on the couch before he turned the volume on the tv down, dimmed the lights, and left the room.

There third segment started out normal, they continued discussing their future plans and new ideas, but it wasn't until the very last few minutes of the segment did things get more interesting.

"So rumor has it you two have been taking care of special someone," the host said with glee wiggling his eyebrows, "mind spilling some of the detail."

The couple were shocked they were not expecting anything like this. They had blank faces and had turned two shades lighter from the surprise question. They sent each other a panicked glare before rushing to think of something to say.

"W-well, t-that's something between my wife and I that we'd like to keep personal for now. But if you don't mind me asking you Rodney, where did you hear such a rumor?" Mallix tried to diffuse the situation but that only seemed to backfire on him.

"Ooh, suspicious," the host remarked rubbing the end of his chin, "well word was going around the office that you two walked into the building with a third person. There was even a picture sent to the station of you, Lain, carrying this small child. Can we pull up the picture please?" He pointed towards the side of the set where a large projector screen stood, and within seconds there it was.

Someone in the lobby had indeed snapped a picture of Lain carrying Kaila as they were talking to James. But that fact that a picture was taken of them wasn't what worried the couple the most, what was concerning was that the picture had good enough quality to make out Kaila's face.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think of their dilemma. Thanks Lexx signing off