Chapter 97: Isolation Unit

Cold was the only thing she could comprehend. Lain couldn't feel her arms, her legs, her fingers, her toes. The only thing prevalent was the wary warmth that filled her face. Her head ached as if a million migraines all processed in her brain at once. Trying to reach her hands to her head, she realized she was unable to do so. Fighting the unbearable pain, she managed to tilt her head to the side seeing that her hands were both shackled above her head.

She tried dragging them down, but as expected they didn't move. Simply filling her head was the loud clanking of the shackles. Looking around more Lain was able to see she was sat upon a bed in the middle of a rather small room. Only a few feet long, and an arms width wide. It was confining to say the least. She went to try and stand before finding her ankles to be restrained as well.

The room was dark, and she was barely able to make out anything. But the longer her eyes stared into the dark void, they adjusted illuminating the darkened room slightly. With her new night vision, she was able to see her ankles shackled to end post of a bed she hadn't even realized she was sat on. It filled half of the room and the only open space was a foot behind what looked like a heavy duty door.

Her head began to feel the effects of moving around too much when she felt a sharp pain fill her head. Throwing back her head, she expected to hit a hard wall, but was pleasantly surprised to find a soft almost padded covering behind her.

She tried relaxing letting her moment of headless pain sink in. Only when her eyes drifted from the large metal door upwards in the room, she noticed two red dots beaming down at her from the corner of the room.

Trying her hardest to examine it further, she could make out the simple shape of a camera peering down at her laying helplessly in the bed. While the thought of being watched was panicking, she got a grip of herself as more questions seemed more important than that. Her most concerning was, what happened to her? Where was her family? And what was she going to do now?

She opened her mouth to scream and shout, but was annoyed to find her voice lost into the walls of the padded material.

"State your name?" A female voice startled Lain echoing throughout her small space.

Remaining quiet she looked up at the red lights finding it to be the source of the sound.

"State your name?" The voice repeated herself more aggressively this time.

"Janet." She confidently answered, not wanting to give any of her real details away to some maniacs who have taken her.

"Wrong." It was short and simple, but the word sent shivers down Lain's back when the shackles around her wrists and ankles tightened pressing up tightly against her skin. She screamed out in agony feeling a slight tear of flesh in her ankle before she restraints loosened.

"State your name?" The voice stated with no remorse in her tone causing Lain's heart rate to increase tremendously.

"Lain," she correctly stated before hearing a light ding.

"Last name?"

"Colden," feared of being hurt again, she gave in the first try. It wasn't long before another ding echoed through her small room.

She nervously awaited another question from the other side of the camera, but when nothing came she paused to look at her surroundings. The bedding she was sat on looked old and almost like it belonged in an abandoned hospital.

Lain continued to search around more intently before hearing not a voice, but footsteps from beyond the door. Light peered in her dark room when a small mail slot near the top of the door slid open.

She was met with two dark eyes glaring down at her intently, hearing inaudible mumbles and scribbling of notes on a metal clipboard. "She's ready."

Before she knew it the door was pulled open, and in came a woman. It wasn't long before Lain put the pieces together and figured out that this woman was the one whose voice kept echoing throughout her room from the camera. Her demeanor was low and hallow as she pulled in a single chair from the white hallway into the room. Sitting at the edge of the bed the woman looked Lain up and down smiling at her defeat.

"What do you want?!" Lain spat at the woman in anger.

She didn't reply but simple observed Lain. Every movement, every word, every little detail she pointed out and jotted notes down on her clipboard in her lap.

Without a word, after hours of silence from the woman, she stood up and exited the room. Instead of shutting the door, a man in nursing attire stepped in with a silver plater of fruits and water. He sat at the side of the bed, hand feeding fruits one at a time before allowing her to have water.

She didn't want anything he had to offer. Sure she felt famished and parched, but she wasn't sure what to expect with these people. In her mind she didn't know whether or not the food could be contaminated with poisons or toxins that could kill her. Turning her head away in denial, the man grabbed hold of her jaw and plugged her nose with the other. It wasn't long before she gasped for air, giving him time to drop a piece of fruit in.

Covering her mouth, he forced her to chew and swallow it before repeating. Her mind was strong and ready to retaliate, but her body was slowly giving in. She needed something to fill the emptiness in her stomach. It wasn't long before he didn't need to plug her nose anymore, she was eating along to the fruits after some time after assuming nothing was contaminating them.

"You'll need your strength." He whispered to her before stepping up and walking away with the plater Lain had emptied.

'Strength...strength for what?' She thought to herself worried for what was to come.
—————————————————————————-
Let me know what you think about Lain's dilemma. Thanks Lexx signing off